U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:57 PM

19 posts, read 48,469 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've got a job offer with SSA in Dutches County and was looking to relocate to the NE US. I've lived in NYC before but never really went out of it, particularly -North. Currently in Portland, OR . If anyone could share whats's life like up there, I would strongly appreciate it. Ideally, I wanted to be some place out side of NYC but this seems (from all the research I've done) a bit far and sorta depressed and isolated area.
Eastern European here, have been practically all over the US and decided to calm down and hopefully settle down in an area close to Europe, open minded, more direct and fair attitude, some nature and close to a major hub ( you can't go more major that NYC)
Not big fan of NYC, in general (unless win the lottery),but it just seems like the most comprehensive solution.
I realize this is a pretty abstract question but any input helps, I guess..

Tnx
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:06 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,085,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavchek View Post
Hello,

I've got a job offer with SSA in Dutches County and was looking to relocate to the NE US. I've lived in NYC before but never really went out of it, particularly -North. Currently in Portland, OR . If anyone could share whats's life like up there, I would strongly appreciate it. Ideally, I wanted to be some place out side of NYC but this seems (from all the research I've done) a bit far and sorta depressed and isolated area.
Eastern European here, have been practically all over the US and decided to calm down and hopefully settle down in an area close to Europe, open minded, more direct and fair attitude, some nature and close to a major hub ( you can't go more major that NYC)
Not big fan of NYC, in general (unless win the lottery),but it just seems like the most comprehensive solution.
I realize this is a pretty abstract question but any input helps, I guess..

Tnx

Hello. I am a former PDXer. I lived in Sellwood and later in Multnomah Village in the SW.

Dutchess is far from NYC. Its a long train ride from Poughkeepsie to the city and it is an expensive train ride. Its not a bad place to live, similar to McMinville or the areas between Pdx and Salem. Its got some farming and industry, but high unemployment.

I would look a little further south to live, and then drive to work. Poughkeepsie itself is a sad place because the city has a rich history, but is in the decline due to high unemployment. The city is about 50% white, 37% black, 10% hispanic and the rest mixed, which makes it one of the more diverse cities north of manhattan. Its full of good people and criem is low for a city of 35,000, but its run down. It has a nice civic center that gets good plays and shows in, but otherwise the city is not doing well.

I think in Poughkeepsie you will find open-minded people, but its nto europe. Americansl, even liberal types, are far to the right of our european cousins. As for nature, you have hit a homerun. The hudson river is amazing. The trails, the fishing, the climbing, are all world class. This area has it all. Skiing is less than 30 minutes away, swimming in lakes all summer. Its a wonderful place for nature lovers.

Good luck.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:59 AM

Thank you , very helpful feedback.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:15 PM

Any particular towns near by to the south you may have in mind?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:26 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,085,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavchek View Post
Any particular towns near by to the south you may have in mind?
I love Cold Spring, but its about 35-40 minutes away. Likewise Rhinebeck is about 30 minutes north and is also a great town. Across the river is New Paltz, which is a big college town with a large State University. Northern Poughkeepsie is much nicer. there is an area called Hyde Park with is very nice too. Keep looking around and you will find something. Good luck with the job.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:40 PM

Thank you, once again..

Old 08-25-2014, 09:48 PM

581 posts, read 1,168,738 times
Dutchess is considered very blue collar and rural.
You can easily commute there from Westchester (45 to 60 mins)
which is more suburban with a higher level of educated population.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:00 PM

Thank you for your input. I just went to visit the area and while Poughkeepsie looked rather depressing, Beacon I liked a lot - beautiful small town- sorta quirky feel to it .. I liked it..

Old 09-03-2014, 04:25 AM

581 posts, read 1,168,738 times
Until you leave the main drag. Then what?
Did you check out Westchester?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Until you leave the main drag. Then what?
Did you check out Westchester?

Yeah, not much after that and I would certainly appreciate a bigger, more cosmopolitan area, but at the beginning, it will be easier to live near work and get to know the area gradually. I wish my job was in Westchester county but it's not . I could possibly transfer after awhile.
Beacon just seemed to be a great option within Dutchess county(and not far from Poughkeepsie)..I felt like.( and sure hope so)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County