Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:35 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,163,233 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

this is my first time on the Westchester forum.
We are a British family, considering a move to Westchester County. We have been living in the San Francisco Bay Area for the past three years.

I have been reading through many of the threads trying to get a feel for the various cities, towns and villages, but I am confused as it sounds wonderful with so much choice that I don't know where to start.

We have three children aged 12, 10 and 8. While schools are important I don't necessarily want that to be the all encompassing factor in our choice of where to live. I am aware that Scarsdale schools are top notch but I hear there are many other great school districts too.
We will be looking to purchase rather than rent. We'd probably want to spend around 1.2m but could possibly go to 1.4 if pushed.

The job will be in Tarrytown but a commute of up to 45 mins would be fine, so we are basically happy to look anywhere in Westchester county.

I'd ideally love to have:

Good schools
Good walkable downtown (actually being able to walk to the downtown would be huge bonus)
Pretty views - (ideally waterfront views)

How can I narrow this down?

At some point in the near future we will come over as a family to get a feel for the area. It would be good to have a plan beforehand of which areas to visit.

My question therefore really is if you could live anywhere in Westchester County where would you live and why? Which towns have the best balance of everything?
There are tons of 'Best places to live in Westchester' lists on the internet but I'd like to hear from some people that actually live there.

From everything I have read so far I'm liking the sound of Irvington, Mamaroneck and Tarrytown itself.

Thanks in advance - (I know there must be a million similar threads.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 AM

156 posts, read 304,917 times
Keep it simple. I'd definitely look right in Tarrytown first. You'll work there. Why even consider Mamaroneck or anything on that side of the county if you don't have to? You'd be dealing with the dreaded east-west commute on 287 and the Hutch which is really a schlep unless you work off-hours... The river towns are a sensible choice for you as well but Tarrytown should be your jumping off point since you have a very good downtown and a Metro-North station for crying out loud. Best of luck

Old 08-05-2014, 08:32 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Irvington, Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Briarcliff Manor, Pleasantville. Prior poster is right about Mamaroneck. That would be crazy.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 AM

^^^

Thanks. I guess travelling about always looks easier on paper.

Sounds like the best way to go go about it is to start at Tarrytown and work my way out from there.
Obviously the only real way to find out is to spend a few days touring the area and seeing for myself but if anyone has any nuggets of advice on what they like about particular towns, that might be helpful.
(It did seem to me that there was more going on in Mamaroneck and that it might be slightly more picturesque than the Hudson river towns?)

I notice that Irvington and Hastings both have very good school systems. Is there anything that distinguishes one town from the other or are they both very similar towns?

Also what does Scarsdale offer that is better than the other good school districts?

(Sorry about all the - what might seem like obvious - questions...)

Old 08-05-2014, 01:40 PM

Hastings is Westchester's "hippie" town. Irvington is more conventional.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:03 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,328 times
Buy the most expensive house you can comfortable afford.
It's amazing how simple it really is. This forum doesn't even need to exist.
It's the same damn question every time. Where should I live should be banned here.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:05 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,328 times
If you can afford $1.2m, then Irvington is your choice.
5 mins commute, and one of the top shelf towns in the county.

You will have other high earners of your breeding and pedigree.
DO NOT live in Tarrytown or Mamaroneck if you can afford $1.2m.

Irvington. Case closed.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Buy the most expensive house you can comfortable afford.
It's amazing how simple it really is. This forum doesn't even need to exist.
It's the same damn question every time. Where should I live should be banned here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
If you can afford $1.2m, then Irvington is your choice.
5 mins commute, and one of the top shelf towns in the county.

You will have other high earners of your breeding and pedigree.
DO NOT live in Tarrytown or Mamaroneck if you can afford $1.2m.

Irvington. Case closed.

Well thanks for the advice

This is er...a relocation forum, for people to ask questions about.. er, relocating.

It's a huge deal for most people. We just want to get it right, especially when you are moving 2000+ miles.

Now if I hadn't asked and you hadn't told me, I might have gone for Tarrytown mightn't I?

Now I want to find out what's up with Tarrytown....and Mamaroneck. See, your post was useful to me!

Actually I don't think it's a case of just going for the most expensive house you can afford. There are other things that make a place a home.
I was brought up in two rooms above a grocers shop in a very working class town until I was 16 and went to a crappy school. I have just worked very hard in life. So I don't know what you'd call my breeding or pedigree.
Nevertheless I will take your advice and look seriously at Irvington. Thanks.

Last edited by Cruithne; 08-05-2014 at 04:15 PM..

Old 08-05-2014, 04:08 PM

There are $5 million+ waterfront mansions in Mamaroneck. It's a great town. But geographically, it makes zero sense to move there if you are working in Tarrytown. If you already lived in Mamaroneck it would not be a problem. But since you are moving from elsewhere, why not be as close to work as possible?

Tarrytown is also a great town. Property values are lower because a large percentage of the kids in the school come from immigrant Hispanic households. I have never heard of any problems with the schools. There are well-off white families who deliberately choose Tarrytown because they like the diversity. That is a decision that only you can make.

I would agree that Irvington should be on the top of your list if you don't care about racial/ethnic diversity. Irvington does, however, have economic diversity. There are plenty of typical middle-class households.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:37 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I would also suggest looking at Pleasantville. Briarcliff Manor would be another consideration, but the village is not as walkable. Tarrytown and Irvington are good places to look, too, and I would also suggest the Philipse Manor area of Sleepy Hollow. You do not have to be very far from Tarrytown, itself, to find neighborhoods that meet your criteria, which is a bonus as that helps to eliminate traffic delays.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County