Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2007, 07:37 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,157,074 times

Advertisements

Title says it all.Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 05:05 PM

305 posts, read 1,888,098 times
Are you referring to Glenwood in Yonkers near Warburton Ave?

It depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking for good schools, a cheap place to live, an area close to a Metro North station, divese community, non-diverse community?

I knew someone who lived in Glenwood Rd (or was it Ave) in Yonkers which is off of North Broadway. Not a great area. In fact, her father actually got shot standing in his driveway. Don't know if it was foul play but still.....

I also have a friend whose parents live on Warburton Ave by the Hudson River Museum behind St. Johns hospital. Not sure if that is still considered Glenwood but it was a decent area, diverse and clean but they lived closer Riverview caterers. I think the further you go, the area gets worse. Sorry I wasn't able to help too much but hopefully someone who knows the area better can chime in.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:20 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,157,074 times
actually youve helped quite a bit
ive seen coops.coondos listed by wharburton ave as well as a condo where glenwood intersects with north broadway

I dont really care about schools as I dont have any kids. I want a neighborhood thats safe at all hours since I keep weird hours, has resteraunts and bars relatively close by and ideally I wont get shot standing around minding my own business.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:42 PM

305 posts, read 1,888,098 times
You should look in the McLean Ave section of Yonkers where it intersects with Central Ave. McLean is a decent neighborhood, lots of Irish bars in the area, not too quiet, but not so rowdy that you're up all hours of the night. Definitely safer than Glenwood. Good sense of community. I would also consider White Plains.

If you're going to invest in a condo, I wouldn't look in Glenwood, esp the area off of N. Broadway. The Son of Sam (infamous killer) was from Pine Street which is around the corner from Glenwood Ave and then there was my friend's father who was killed in his own driveway. Steer clear if you can.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:35 PM

14 posts, read 92,371 times
life is what you make it... it's not where you live but how you live... The Greystone section just past the Glenwood section seem better for you there is a very large apt. building at 1020 warburton ave... luxury apts. and very nice prople. it's on the Hasting border, and no crime... my sister is a rn at St john's hospital which is also in this area and walks every night to her home with no problems.... give it a shot! The metro north is literally infront of the building nd there's AWESOME views of the river.... bars? No, but again the train is right there... take it two stops to the new yonkers waterfront bars and restaurants... there two, no worries

Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 17,434 times
Glenwood is a lot better now and save. I have been commuting to Manhattan through the Glenwood train station for over 10 years now and have really witnessed a major crime or anything scary. Of course, even things can happen in an otherwise safe are. North Warburton Avenue after Glenwood is good as good and decent neighborhood can be. I have been leaving there for so long with children and don't have any need to leave the area.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 15,456 times
Anybody living there at present that can shed some light on the neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County