U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 PM

88 posts, read 116,820 times

Advertisements

I realize I may sound a bit akward/evil/snooty, but I'll still ask -- are there parts of Eastchester that are mostly white collar vs mostly blue collar?

Based on my observations, areas near Stop&Shop (Joyce Rd/Howard Ave; as well as Oakridge Pl, Myrtle, Laurel Pl ) seem to be a bit more blue collar; while north part of Eastchester (between Lord & Taylor shopping mall and Scarsdale) seem a bit more upscale. Is my perception accurate?

Again, my apologize if I sound evil/snooty...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 05:39 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,630,237 times
Somewhat accurate, but there is a mix in all areas.

Also, you could have well educated people who live in, say, the coop apartments on Garth Road, and not well-educated people with successful businesses that live in the fancier neighborhoods.

I like the "California Ridge" neighborhood, which is off California Road and Mill Road. Check out Forbes Boulevard and adjacent streets.

Eastchester truly is a mix of blue-collar and white-collar. But a little house that needs a lot of work could cost 500K.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:13 PM

rubygreta, thanks for your response!

Old 09-08-2014, 06:23 PM

425 posts, read 1,094,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Somewhat accurate, but there is a mix in all areas.

Also, you could have well educated people who live in, say, the coop apartments on Garth Road, and not well-educated people with successful businesses that live in the fancier neighborhoods.

I like the "California Ridge" neighborhood, which is off California Road and Mill Road. Check out Forbes Boulevard and adjacent streets.

Eastchester truly is a mix of blue-collar and white-collar. But a little house that needs a lot of work could cost 500K.
I second that - California Ridge area is very nice - however quite expensive for Eastchester and Eastchester taxes are high

Old 09-08-2014, 06:37 PM

Thanks John70! Where would you draw a western boundary of California Ridge? At Hickory Hill Rd?

Also, what is your opinion on the area around Myrtle Av/Laurel Pl ? Its just above Mill Rd, near Stop& Shop. I get a mixed vibe from that area.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYfamily77 View Post
Thanks John70! Where would you draw a western boundary of California Ridge? At Hickory Hill Rd?

Also, what is your opinion on the area around Myrtle Av/Laurel Pl ? Its just above Mill Rd, near Stop& Shop. I get a mixed vibe from that area.
Yes, Hickory Hill. The neighborhoods are very different. CR was mostly built one at a time in the 1920's and 1930's, while Hickory Hill was a quickly built 1950's subdivision.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 PM

FYI- Median sale price in the Eastchester School District so far in 2014 is $695,000. Sounds like a lot, but it is a mere pittance compared to lot of other school districts in Westchester.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:47 AM

60 posts, read 205,320 times
The area just south of Leewood country club, known as Leewood is very nice and generally 'white collar'.

I'd move to Green Knolls in a heartbeat if I could replace my house there. Most of the homes are smaller (1800-2400 SF) but the community there is so nice and friendly and active.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:56 PM

425 posts, read 1,094,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Yes, Hickory Hill. The neighborhoods are very different. CR was mostly built one at a time in the 1920's and 1930's, while Hickory Hill was a quickly built 1950's subdivision.
Agree.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:16 PM

5 posts, read 7,282 times
Default What should I know about the area in Eastchester (tuckahoe) near crestwood?

Looking at a home near Crestwood train station in Tuckahoe (Eastchester schools). I've grown up in Ardsley, and lived in NYC for the past 15 years, thinking of moving back to Westchester with my wife and toddler.

Any thoughts on the neighborhood? On a scale of Westchester 1-10 (1 being Yonkers and 10 being Scarsdale/Chappaqua etc) whats can I expect of this area?

Hate if you will, but I'm essentially wanting to know if I'll be around other upper middle class white collar professionals in this neighborhood? I understand this is a controversial question, and I know not everyone is interested in answering it, or thinks it's important, but its important to me and my wife, and we don't really know where else to find this info.

Also, is there any consensus on Eastchester public schools? This house is zoned for Waverly (k-1), Greenvale (2-5) Eastchester Middle (6-8) and Eastchester High (8-12). How does this compare to other public school systems I'm more familiar with (like Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, Chappaqua, Pleasantville)?

Any advice helps, and apologies up front for asking what I know are shallow questions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County