U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 08:32 PM

88 posts, read 108,580 times

Advertisements

hi All, I keep reading on this forum how Eastchester is mostly Italian city, and how it is a turnoff for some.
And there are absolutely no explanations further than this! ( I've had almost no exposure to Italians in the US so cant draw from my own experience... also did not watch Sopranos!) Of course every culture has its great and unique qualities that may be liked or disliked by people with different backgrounds.

Can someone explain what is it in Eastchester Italian communities that make some people less comfortable there? I hope I am not offending anyone, just honestly hope to understand Eastchester better
Thank you !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 09:30 PM

2,402 posts, read 5,467,915 times
The two biggest groups in Eastchester are Italians and Irish. There is a nice mix of other groups. There are no Italian "communities." There is the Eastchester Italian Club (or whatever it's called) on White Plains Road. My guess is the average age of the members is 80+.

Italians in Eastchester are smart, dumb, fat, thin, college educated, high-school educated, nice, not nice, loud and quiet. Just like any other ethnic group.

They do not "stick together," in social groups or in the schools. They could care less if their new next door neighbor has an Italian last name. I mean it's fifth generation already. The average Italian in Eastchester knows as much Italian as you do. And many Italians are half something else.

There is, however, a segment of kids in the middle school and high school who you would call "Guido's." But you don't have to be Italian to be a Guido. And many of the kids, including Italian kids, are miles away from anything "Guido," and look down upon them.

To see a real Italian neighborhood, check out Silver Lake in West Harrison. Now that's Italian!

Old 09-10-2014, 11:15 PM

425 posts, read 1,049,878 times
According to my wife, who is from the Arthur Avenue section of the Bronx (little Italy), there are some folks in Eastchester who are the real Sopranos..She would point them out at the Diner on route 22.

There is a Guido element that you don't see in other towns outside of certain areas of Yonkers and West Harrison/Silver Lake. IMHO. Doesn't make it a bad place - I am 3/4 Italian BTW.

I defer to Ruby Greta about the schools as i believe his/her kids are in the School District.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:40 AM

239 posts, read 379,466 times
Italians are no different from anyone else. The issue some people have is that living in a town that is dominated by any one ethnic group can be difficult for those not of that ethnic group. It colors the feel and culture of the town and it can be cliquey. I am very comfortable here and have many good friends of different ethnicities, but it took a long time for me to feel this way.
On the whole, Eastchester is a nice town with great schools (I have kids in Greenvale & Middle) short commute to city and lot of white collar folks.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:17 PM

2,501 posts, read 5,875,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
According to my wife, who is from the Arthur Avenue section of the Bronx (little Italy), there are some folks in Eastchester who are the real Sopranos..She would point them out at the Diner on route 22.

There is a Guido element that you don't see in other towns outside of certain areas of Yonkers and West Harrison/Silver Lake. IMHO. Doesn't make it a bad place - I am 3/4 Italian BTW.

I defer to Ruby Greta about the schools as i believe his/her kids are in the School District.
^^^This. When somebody from Rye or Larchmont characterizes Eastchester as "Italian" this is what they're almost certainly talking about. If the "guidO" persona is unfamiliar to you THIS will help.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 09-11-2014 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: amplification

Old 09-11-2014, 02:14 PM

60 posts, read 198,657 times
I don't think there's are specific neighborhoods that are Italian but maybe there are. I know that Green Knolls and Leewood are pretty diverse on a relative basis. In both areas there seems to be more religious and ethnic diversity than in the town overall.

Eastchester is a very Catholic town and most of the Catholics are either Irish or Italian or both. I've also observed that many of the families in town are related. That creates some challenges in terms of getting kids together because my kids find that their friends are booked with family events many weekend. Not impossible but it does require a bit more effort.

The guido thing is alive and well in the high school, again you can find lots of kids that aren't but it takes a bit more effort.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:20 PM

88 posts, read 108,580 times
OMG! This is so interesting! thank you everyone for explaining the guido thing!!

Old 09-11-2014, 05:00 PM

2,402 posts, read 5,467,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl128 View Post
I don't think there's are specific neighborhoods that are Italian but maybe there are. I know that Green Knolls and Leewood are pretty diverse on a relative basis. In both areas there seems to be more religious and ethnic diversity than in the town overall.

Eastchester is a very Catholic town and most of the Catholics are either Irish or Italian or both. I've also observed that many of the families in town are related. That creates some challenges in terms of getting kids together because my kids find that their friends are booked with family events many weekend. Not impossible but it does require a bit more effort.

The guido thing is alive and well in the high school, again you can find lots of kids that aren't but it takes a bit more effort.
My son and daughter went through the high school. They laughed at the Guido's (they are easy to spot), who look tough but aren't. They made plenty of non-Guido friends. And not all Guido's are dummies.

Being a Guido must be genetic. You meet the kid's parents, and they are even bigger Guido's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County