Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 12:04 PM

92 posts, read 358,192 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a 23 year old single guy probably moving to the White Plains area in June. I like the quietness of being outside of the main downtown area and not dealing with the traffic, but still want to be walking distance to the train station and preferably the downtown area as well.

What areas would you suggest? I was looking in North White Plains/Valhalla, is that a good area?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 04:49 PM

305 posts, read 1,887,970 times
It is a nice area though I would think you might want to be where all the action is.

What are you looking to spend per month?

Old 12-27-2007, 05:13 PM

92 posts, read 358,192 times
Like $1500 a month tops for a 1 br, I know I have seen listings around that price online...

And yeah, I do want to be close to everything, but at the same time have a quiet place to go home to, not in the middle of the city.

Where would you suggest?

Last edited by YanksRule; 12-27-2007 at 05:35 PM..

Old 12-28-2007, 12:03 AM

305 posts, read 1,887,970 times
You can get something pretty decent in White Plains for that price range. North White Plains/Valhalla is nice but much more residential than downtown. The area by Pace is nice too, on the outskirts of the town but still near enough to get to everything. My dr's office is in N. Broadway in WP and if you go up that road, away from the Westchester Mall, it becomes less city like.

Another area to consider is West Harrison, close enough to WP but away from all the action.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:25 PM

152 posts, read 625,400 times
Also consider the area North, East and West on Mamaroneck Avenue in White Plains. Its not smack in the middle of town, but really only about 8 minute walk to everything and its a long walk to the train about 20 minutes but doable on a nice day. Also look around Lake Street and North Broadway. As Jyyanks suggests, you can also look at North White Plains further up on North Broadway.

If outside of White Plains, most other areas are truly residential with small town/village center areas. My top picks for you would be Tuckahoe and Bronxville. But you can look at Hartsdale, Eastchester, Garth Road in Scarsdale (will need to find a bargain at $1500 but I've seen some). All are close enough to White Plains (5-10 minute drive) but too far to walk. The town centers of all above on a weekend are for a crowd older than you but still have some nightlife. Your best bet is to look in and around White Plains proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County