U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 11:25 PM

13 posts, read 41,990 times

Advertisements

We are moving from CA to Westchester county. My daughter is October born (10/23/2003). In CA she is eligible for KG since the school system takes her or any one born until Dec. 2. Is she eligible for KG in Westchester school districts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 12:37 PM

305 posts, read 1,741,086 times
What town are you looking to purchase a house? Will you be sending her to private school or public school? Is she socially and academically ready for kindergarden?

I don't know if it depends on the town you live in, but my SIL's DD, who lives in Scarsdale, was born 11/29/2003. She is currently in preK and she will be attending kindergarden come September. I think she has to meet with a counselor first to determine if she is ready.

When my DD started kindergarden (Ardsley school district), we had to meet with the school and they took my daughter aside (we were filling out paperwork) and they just talked to her and asked her some basic questions. I guess from that, they determined that she was ready.

My friend's daughter (eastchester school district) was born 10/26/2003 and was supposed to start kindergarden in Sept but my friend is opting to leave her back as she was a late talker and had to get services from the state. After talking to her pre-k teacher and her speech therapist, it was determined that she was academically ready but socially, she wasn't where she was supposed to be. My friend could have sent her to kindergarden if she wanted. The therapist said she may catch up, it just might be a little hard for her. In the end, my friend decided to keep her back for another year.

If your DD is emotionally, socially and academically ready, there should be no reason for her not to start kindergarden in Sept unless there are school districts out there that won't take anyone born after a certain date. I don't know any off the top of my head but perhaps someone else can chime in.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:14 PM

We are looking at Ardsley school district. We are interested in public schools. What is the KG school timings? What are the options, if both parents work. Is there any afterschool program at school? How much it costs? Thanks.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:36 PM

My daughter has people in her class that have November birthdays so I believe your daughter will be fine since she was born on 10/23. If you are unsure, you can call the school directly (speak to the principal or assistant principal). 914-693-7510 or you can e-mail, the e-mail addresses are listed on the website. The elementary school is called Concord Road elementary school.

http://www.ardsleyschools.org/

The elementary school (K-4th grade) has a before/after school program. It's called Ardsley Childrens Center and you can drop off your kids as early as 7:30 and pick them up as late as 6:00. There are several options to choose from. You can do mornings only, evenings only, both, 1 day, 3 days etc etc. There are many different options and they are very reasonably priced. Many parents take advantage of the program, including myself. Here is their website for more info. BTW, area code is 914 since they don't seem to list it on the website, in case you want to call. Meghan is very nice, she can probabl fax you the paperwork with the costs since you have to register ahead of time.

http://www.ardsleyschools.org/elem/PHB/ardsleychildrenscenter.htm (broken link)

Also, keep in mind that Kindergarden has a "phase-n program". They go to school for half a day for the first couple of weeks so the kids can get used to it and then they go full time. Ardsley Childrens Center has a program to accomodate parents during tha phase in period.

Normal arrival/dismissal for K-1 is 8:30-2:50. Dismissal is at 2:20 on Wed. For 2-4, its 3:10 and 2:40 on Wed.

There is bus service as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:45 PM

Elementary school is only for K-4? what about Grade 5 and above? CA schools we have K-6 available in elementary school. This question comes because my son goes to 5th grade in Sep. 08.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:33 PM

506 posts, read 2,105,214 times
Beaswar here is the website for the Ardsley school district, it might help you answer some of your ? www.ardsleyschools.k12.ny.us (broken link)

Old 12-29-2007, 09:55 PM

Most of the other Westchester elementary schools go up to 5th grade with Middle school starting in 6th. However, Ardsley only has 1 elementary school, 1 middle school and 1 highschool. The elementary school is just not big enough to accomodate another grade. Therefore, kids start middle school in 5th grade in Ardsley.

Your DD will be in Kindergarden in Concord Rd, your son will go to 5th grade in the middle school. Middle school starts earlier than the elementary, not sure what time as my DD doesn't start until next year but my neighbor's kids leave at about 7:25AM. I think it starts between 7:45 and 8:00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County