Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:47 PM

7 posts, read 55,145 times

Advertisements

My husband, two young kids and I live in Fairfield, CT and really love it. However, my husband took a job in NYC 18 months ago and has been doing the 1 hr 45 min door-to-door commute ever since. It's really starting to drag on him, so we are in the process of selling our house & moving closer to NYC.

We've looked at nearly every town in Westchester, and don't think that Southern Westchester is for us. For houses in our price range ($1.25 mill), you can't seem to get any space and are on top of your neighbors.

We really love Chappaqua, with its larger lot sizes (1+ acres) and 45 min train ride. We also like Greenwich (though the lot size would be smaller perhaps).

So, both of these towns are similar commutes (Greenwich train may be a few minutes shorter), good schools, etc. Just wondering if anyone else out there happened to go through a similar decision process and where you may have come out.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 08:02 PM

305 posts, read 1,888,374 times
i can't tell you too much about Greenwich schools (though I imagine they are up there) but I love the town. It is a very upscale address, more so, I think than Chappaqua. It is porobablly closer to NYC if you take the Metro North and the taxes are probable lower. Greenwich reminds me of Bronxville.

Chappaqua has excellent schools. Horace Greeley is up there with Scarsdale, Bronxville, Edgemont. It consistantly ranks in the top 3 Westchester school districs.

Some numbers from Westchester mag
Gross pupil expenditure $21,043
Avg class size - 22
Avg

Old 01-01-2008, 08:06 PM

Sorry I hit "send" by accident which explains all the typos. More #'s.

Avg SAT: 1880
% of sr's taking AP classes: 79
% of jr's taking AP classes:64
4 year grad rate: 97%
% of teachers with MA+30 or phd: 67

Overall I don't think you can go wrong with either town. Good Luck.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:35 AM

Thanks, jyyanks. Chappaqua's test performance is impressive. Do you know anything about the daily living "vibe" in either town? I'm more concerned with what it's like to raise children in these towns. Which town is more conducive to an idyllic childhood (if either)? We've really been spoiled in Fairfield...

Old 01-02-2008, 08:57 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,223,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmez View Post
Thanks, jyyanks. Chappaqua's test performance is impressive. Do you know anything about the daily living "vibe" in either town? I'm more concerned with what it's like to raise children in these towns. Which town is more conducive to an idyllic childhood (if either)? We've really been spoiled in Fairfield...
Don't get so excited about the Chappaqua schools. The high test scores are a result of the complete lack of racial and economic diversity, and the hyper-competitive attitude of the parents. The 8th grade math teacher in Chappaqua is no better than the 8th grade math teacher in Yorktown.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:25 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,848,440 times
I wouldn't say there's a COMPLETE lack of diversity in Chappaqua. I know several non-Caucasian families in Chappaqua who send their kids to the local schools.

The original poster is from Fairfield - neither that area nor Greenwich is known for diversity in the schools.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:02 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,223,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I wouldn't say there's a COMPLETE lack of diversity in Chappaqua. I know several non-Caucasian families in Chappaqua who send their kids to the local schools.

The original poster is from Fairfield - neither that area nor Greenwich is known for diversity in the schools.
Are you talking about Asian kids and Indian kids whose parents are scientists or physicians? They don't count.

Greenwich, believe it or not, has some low-income housing projects and some pretty crappy looking neighborhoods. Chappaqua does not.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:30 PM

Why don't Asian kids and Indian kids whose parents are scientists or physicians not count? That's a very flawed argument as having non-caucasian and caucasian kids in the same school district represents racial diversity.

As far as economic diversity, that's a different story. Chappaqua is a wealthy community, no doubt about that, but so is Greenwich. Despite the fact that Greenwich may have some not-so-great areas, its not enough to affect the town. Greenwich is considered just as upscale and just as wealthy as Chappaqua.

And I'm sure the 8th grade teacher in Chappaqua is just as good as the 8th grade teacher in Mt. Vernon. Doesn't mean I'll send my kids to the Mt. Vernon school district.

hmez - to answer your question on the vibe, I have friends that live in both areas and love it. In fact, my old colleage just moved back there to raise child #2 after living in NYC for 10 years. I do think you will find more "snooty-ness" in these areas than in a more middle-class town, but not everyone will be like that. Perhaps you can post on the CT forum to get their thoughts on Greenwich. Good Luck.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:47 AM

Thanks jyyanks-your suggestion is helpful, I'll do that. I'm sure there is nice people everywhere, it's ridiculous to think that just because someone can afford to live in Greenwich or Chappaqua they're a snob.

I'm curious about Chappaqua's recreation programs, parks, town amenities--things like that. Does Chappaqua have enough library programs, music, and sports to met the needs of the community??? What about a town pool?

Old 01-03-2008, 06:06 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,848,440 times
I'm talking about African-American kids...and what does it matter what their parents do? Why does that count (or not)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County