Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,699 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I am a new poster, but have been reading a lot of information on this forum about Westchester. Me and my wife want to move to Westchester from the Bronx, and would love some feedback. We both have civil service jobs. (not really office types ) We are looking for a safe town with good schools. I have been reading about Yorktown and shrub oak in these forums. (We have no problem with areas that have a large Italian American communinity) I have read on some threads that Yorktown is a down to earth town, but then I read on other threads that its more of an upscale, expensive white collar type of community. (maybe its both?) I am wondering if a place like Yorktown or Shrub oak is a good fit for us. Maybe someone from the area can give some info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 01:58 PM

175 posts, read 344,142 times
Look into Eastchester.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:06 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,296,798 times
Yorktown and Shrub Oak would work well for the type of community that you described. They are comfortable, middle-class areas with many houses that were built as part of subdivisions of similar housing. Somers tends to be a bit more upscale than Yorktown, overall, but there are some properties in Yorktown that would fit the white-collar, upper middle class category, but it's not a town with a huge swing in incomes and lifestyle.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-30-2014, 04:44 PM

274 posts, read 296,595 times
Pleasantville and Thornwood

Both parents typically work and it is solidly middle class

Old 10-30-2014, 05:48 PM

Valhalla is also a middle-class area, though the price point is going to be at least $100k higher than Yorktown.

City-Data FAQs

Old 10-30-2014, 06:48 PM

Thanks everybody.

I looked into pleasantville but the houses look pretty $$. If that's middle class I must be poor

I will check out Valhalla and thornwood as well.

Good to know Yorktown may be a nice option.

Do these areas have a lot of high ranch style houses?

Old 10-30-2014, 08:13 PM

Yes, you will find a good number of the raised ranch style in Yorktown. Valhalla has some, but there are also a number of side-to-side split-levels, as opposed to the split-foyer of a raised ranch. It should not be difficult to find that style house in many areas that had development through the 1970s in Westchester, though they can be pricey in some towns.

City-Data FAQs

Old 10-31-2014, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 6,253 times
I think Yorktown would be a great choice. Lots of ex-Bronx'ers there. Very working-class neighborhood with strong working class roots. You will find many raised and split level ranch homes, and lots of hard working people there that are proud to wear uniforms to work You may find that not everyone values higher education as much as some of the other surrounding neighborhoods (Croton, Somers), but the schools are good all the same. You get a nice plot, with a modest home for a good price. The one gotcha is the taxes though, so make sure you check that.

There is an old saying up in northwestern Westchester:

If your collar's white, Croton's alright
But if its strong and blue, Yorktown's for you.

It's my kind of town. Salt of the earth.

Last edited by upstater-11; 10-31-2014 at 09:55 AM..

Old 11-02-2014, 10:13 AM

I drove through Yorktown this weekend, it looks like a great neighborhood with a lot of different levels. Shrub oak and Yorktown heights seem very different from each other. Although lots of high ranches around everywhere. Thanks for everyone's advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County