Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 06:04 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,248 times

Advertisements

Which do you think is more congested: the east side of Westchester-Mamaroneck, New Rochelle, Harrison, Rye or west, Yonkers, Hastings, Dobbs, Irvington, Tarrytown? I feel the shopping on the western Westchester is not as good, but it's much easier to get around on the Saw Mill than on the Hutch or 95. Just my opinion. I have the chance to move to Mamaroneck but it seemed extremely congested with some rude people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 08:53 PM

101 posts, read 461,823 times
I recently moved to one of the Rivertowns and am originally from east side of Westchester- Rye area. I feel exactly the opposite as you. I find the traffic very bad here and much easier hopping on the Hutch or 95. I guess it is what you are used to, probably not much of a difference either way. In regards to rude people in Mam'k- it's a big village- there are bound to be rude people. The rivertowns are much smaller- the towns on east side are much larger- but you'll find rude people everywhere. Really- we are talking about places that are 10 miles apart- it's lower Westchester- not going to be much difference.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:03 PM

Nadia32: Very interesting. I guess it is what you get used to. Re the rudeness, I just felt that the driving pace was very fast and pressured in Mamaroneck, whereas in the Rivertowns, I find people drive almost too slowly. Are you happy now that you made the move? I think the rivertown area is convenient in that you can be anywhere--NJ, CT, upstate, very quickly.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:27 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
If you are not using the Hutch northbound during morning rush hour or southbound during evening rush hour, it's a wide-open highway. 95 isn't bad at all unless you're commuting to Greenwich or Stamford.

I agree with you about the shopping. The downtowns of Hastings, Dobbs Ferry and Irvington have some charm, but I think you would get tired of the stores after a while.

Mamaroneck has become very congested. And for some reason, the village keeps approving residential development in former industrial areas. Visually these buildings certainly are an improvement over the industrial buildings. But the resultant traffic is not worth it.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:46 AM

Yes, I was on the Hutch during Friday night rush hour (6:30) and it was pretty bad. The Rivertown downtowns that you mention are very disappointing. They have so much potential with the layout and being adjacent to the Hudson and yet they are such nothing, uninteresting places. I think it's because the people who can afford to live there are busy killing themselves with long hours at work, so the towns remain empty. Interesting about Mamaroneck. That was my impression.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 PM

178 posts, read 667,400 times
Thurs. & Friday PM traffic in Tarrytown is terrible for the bridge. Rye Harrison, Portchester Larchmont Thurs. & Fri. PM traffic is terrible for 95.

A lot of people in the affluent areas go away for weekends so the main thoroughfares are busy on Thurs. & Fri. Eves. Much more so in the summer.

Yonkers is crushing, I used to live there. Rye, Rye Brook, a little more polite.

Northern Westchester, much less congested, but too far away for many.

All the best!

Kevin O'Shea

Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 PM

Kevrltr,
Thank you. What do you think about Mamaroneck in general, as far as congestion, rudeness, interesting area?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevrltr View Post
Northern Westchester, much less congested, but too far away for many.
True. With the exception of Mt Kisco and route 6 on the northern edge of the county (both of which have traffic problems), there is practically no traffic at all in Northern Westchester. I drive daily from Yorktown to the Croton train station and the only 'traffic' problem I ever encounter is a too slow garbage truck.

On the "too far" issue, looking at the MTA schedules, the morning train from Croton to GC is 5 minutes longer than the trains from Tarrytown and Mamaroneck and 7 minutes longer than the train from Rye and Irrvington. So if congestion is an issue for you, I suggest taking a look around Croton. The extra 5 to 7 minutes on the train will make a huge difference as far as congestion goes.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:33 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Kevrltr,
Thank you. What do you think about Mamaroneck in general, as far as congestion, rudeness, interesting area?
I don't think the people in Mamaroneck are ruder than anywhere else. Mamaroneck is an interesting village because it ranges from fairly gritty (but safe) areas, to the Orienta neighborhood, which is very affluent. In between is a large middle class.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:39 PM

148 posts, read 878,430 times
I will never have thought that people in Mamaroneck could be described as rude, I have never encountered rudeness there and along with Larchmont it is considered one of the more laid back, less attitude but desirable parts of lower Westchester. Infact I have heard the opposite, I know people that have lived there for years and always comment on how friendly and helpful people are over there and my experience has been the same.

Just curious, where are you looking for a place in Mamaroneck? The are some apartment and condo buildings in the area as well as single family homes, with a lot of gorgeous and extremely expensive ones by the water. Even the single family neighborhoods with a sprinkling of multi-family homes in Mamaroneck cannot be described as congested in any sense of the word.

It is certainly much busier in the areas with condos/co-ops buildings and commercial areas, which can only be expected there are more people there and a lot more going on and of course Mamaroneck Avenue merges with Mamaroneck Avenue in White Plains (proximity to White Plains is a plus in Westchester).

As far as I know there is only one neighborhood there that can possibly be described as gritty. Don't let that stop you from living there, homes in Mamaroneck at the moment currently go up to $18M, if it were that congested or gritty as the post above will have you believe such real estate prices cannot be sustained in the area. Orienta is the #21 of the top 100 wealthiest neighborhoods in the country and there are two other neighborhoods in Mamaroneck that are on that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County