Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 06:46 PM

12 posts, read 30,946 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a move to Pelham next summer. We love the charm and proximity to NYC. We have also heard the schools are very good. However, we are wondering where commuters park for the train since the Pelham station is pretty much impossible to get a permit for. Some of the houses in our price range are a bit too far to walk to the station. Our realtor mentioned the Mount Vernon station but I'm not sure if that fills by a certain time. We are not sure how important it is to be walking distance to the train. Our second question is regarding the schools. Since there is no bussing, do most children walk or are they drivenn to school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 966 times
Hi - yes, it's impossible to get a permit for the Pelham station - I think there's a 5 year wait list, something like that? Many people take a cab to the train but there's also other metered parking lots around the station, just not as budget friendly. For me being within walking distance to the train was almost the #1 priority, and I do appreciate being 7 minutes from the Pelham station, but everyone else I know makes do without the close walk. Right now housing inventory is very low but I am confident after the New Year you can find something close to the train.

When we were researching moving here a year ago everyone mentioned how you'll see tons of kids walking to school - I have to say I don't see it all THAT much so I think most people drive (my kids are preschool age), but I think we'll probably walk our kids when the weather's nice - why not? It's definitely a walkable town and you'll see people on the sidewalks a lot.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:04 PM

12 posts, read 30,946 times
Thanks for the response! We were also thinking that walking distance to the train is the main priority but some of the more affordable houses seem to be on either end of the town. Also, if we end up north of the station, it will be even harder for my daughter to walk to the middle school. I'm guessing that walking to the station is probably more important than walking to school. Since I only work part-time, I would be able to pick up and drop off my kids most of the time. I'm hoping that parents car pool since I assume not everyone is a stay at home mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County