Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:01 PM

425 posts, read 1,212,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
My guess is that the OP put down considerably more than 20%, and that they chose to get the mortgage to stretch past the cash they had on hand to purchase the home.
Maybe they are in an ARM or interest only mortgage? You can pay over $32k per year in taxes n a house for far less than 1.5M in lower westchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 10:06 PM

425 posts, read 1,212,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
LOL, there are party places booked solid for 6 weeks out. I personally know of one such venue that regularly hosts $1000+ kids parties. It's actually pretty sickening IMO, regardless of how much $$ somebody has.
Not extravagant either -- just being considerate to order food for the parents usually runs a couple hundred bucks on top of everything else...such a racket....i went to parties at BK as a kid.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:35 AM

73 posts, read 142,100 times
it depends how much you spend.

I know people who live there who make 75k and live comfortably and I know people who make 400k and are struggling to scrape by.

You need to live as a rugged individual, don't buy in to mainstream society.

never pay an interior designer to pick out paint for your house.

don't buy matlab enterprise toolboxes if you are not going to use them

buy only used cars. Why pay 75k for a new BMW when 10 years later you can buy the same one for <20k?

also don't ever lease or finance a car, only pay cash. If you can't pay cash for the car you can't afford it.

also don't eat out every night. go to the grocery store and buy ingredients to make food

don't pay for furniture that is made out of wood. learn to do upholstery yourself. Furniture is literally just foam glued to some wood and covered with cloth. Not hard to make.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:40 AM

73 posts, read 142,100 times
Also landscaping.

cut your own grass on the weekends. Take pride in the landscape of your house. It is fun to install different plants, spread mulch...ect also you can save money buy owning a vegetable garden and growing your own produce in the summer months.

don't buy in to the system of paying landscapers, interior designers, buying expensive furniture...ect

Old 12-28-2014, 08:26 AM

148 posts, read 531,568 times
[quote=newnewyorkers;37415465

So, what do you think? how much do you live on? Is the low $200s too tight? I am in the mid $200s once we factor bonus in. Please let me know your experience. Thanks!!![/QUOTE]

We are just over 200K (family of 5) and have been living in Northern Westchester for 11 years, and it is tight! We're moving to Northern Danbury CT area soon.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County