U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 07:58 PM

273 posts, read 493,055 times

Advertisements

I'm in Bedford village. Its about an hour to grand central on metro north from the Bedford Hills station, but I always get a seat. My door to door commute to grand central is about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 10:17 PM

30 posts, read 57,049 times
you can def. get an acre in croton for less than 800k, with a 46 minute train ride taboot.

we came from greenpoint in 2010
-chris

Old 02-14-2015, 06:22 AM

7,049 posts, read 10,169,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonkeysmama View Post
Forest Hills Daddy- that may be partially true, but towns in Westchester that did not buy into RTTT are not readily adopting NYSCCS to the degree we see it here in the city. Not to say that they don't use the inane assessments, but they are spending far less time teaching to the non-valid and hardly reliable state tests that we have experienced in the city where we are not funded by high taxes. Again, I'm not saying it's not a problem up there, but that with high taxes you get a more well-rounded curriculum, or that's what I've heard from colleagues, friends, and teachers up north. If you have other knowledge or experiences please share them with me! This is what I'm hoping to discover with your help.
There's a double layer of high stakes testing regime in the NYC DOE. One is RTTT/NCLB and the other was Bloomberg's/Klein's legacy obsession with tests. Maybe Bedford spends less time on RTTT testing but there is no public school in the tri-state suburbs that is nearly similar to Brooklyn Free.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:06 AM

13 posts, read 25,068 times
Thanks Chris and Neil! We're off to Bedford and Croton tomorrow, stay tuned..

Forest Hills Daddy said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
There's a double layer of high stakes testing regime in the NYC DOE. One is RTTT/NCLB and the other was Bloomberg's/Klein's legacy obsession with tests. Maybe Bedford spends less time on RTTT testing but there is no public school in the tri-state suburbs that is nearly similar to Brooklyn Free.
It is true that Bloomberg's regime did some serious long term damage to our education system, but the mandated tests are tied to RTTT. Nowhere are Bloomberg tests administered. I'm not sure what you're referring to as Brooklyn Free, do you mean BNS? Please clarify. Either way, in the burbs with high taxes your children are not test prepped to death from January to April as they are in most of the city schools where the parents haven't discovered or found strength to support the opt-out movement. I'm trying to discover if there are pockets of resistance in Westchester where parents are waking up and exercising their rights to opt their children out of these harmful tests.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:17 AM

/\/\

Even before RTTT, Bloomberg DOE was using test results as basis to aggressively fire administrators, teachers, hire consultants and shut down schools. Not only did schools have to worry about scores, but people worried about losing their jobs and even their schools. So while there were schools in the suburbs adhering to standardized testing, the stakes were not nearly as high as what they were in NYC.

The Brooklyn Free School is a progressive school in Brooklyn which meets the criteria for progressive education - de-emphasis on textbooks, highly personalized education, in many cases the absence of grading etc. Point being, there is no such thing as progressive public schools in the suburbs - nothing comes near. Just because a school does not zealously adhere to standardized tests, it does not make the school progressive. Public schools have been teaching the same way for decades.

Quote:
I mentioned that we are progressive, especially about education.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
/\/\

Even before RTTT, Bloomberg DOE was using test results as basis to aggressively fire administrators, teachers, hire consultants and shut down schools. Not only did schools have to worry about scores, but people worried about losing their jobs and even their schools. So while there were schools in the suburbs adhering to standardized testing, the stakes were not nearly as high as what they were in NYC.

The Brooklyn Free School is a progressive school in Brooklyn which meets the criteria for progressive education - de-emphasis on textbooks, highly personalized education, in many cases the absence of grading etc. Point being, there is no such thing as progressive public schools in the suburbs - nothing comes near. Just because a school does not zealously adhere to standardized tests, it does not make the school progressive. Public schools have been teaching the same way for decades.
We have been using test scores for decades. Binet is rolling in his grave. I've worked in this field for several decades and am familiar with the sociology of education. Brooklyn Free School is neither free nor public. I am looking for public schools in Westchester where I might find like-minded parents, if you have any suggestions I would welcome them here.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I am looking for public schools in Westchester where I might find like-minded parents, if you have any suggestions I would welcome them here.
Maybe there are a few where there are like minded parents, but these schools are still not progressive schools that teach progressive education - such schools do not exist in Westchester by a mile. The closer to NYC, the more you will find because these parents earn a living in NYC. But those schools also have a lot of Wall St. bankers and lawyers as well.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Maybe there are a few where there are like minded parents, but these schools are still not progressive schools that teach progressive education - such schools do not exist in Westchester by a mile.
Can you suggest where these folks might live? I'd like to be their neighbor

Old 02-14-2015, 08:35 AM

/\/\

Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Irvington, Bronxville (coops), Edgemont. What else already obvious is there to suggest? The closer to the city, the more they are in absolute number because they earn a living in NYC. If you are really looking to hook up with other progressive minded families, that's where you want to go. Makes little sense to search for progressive people far up in northern Westchester. But remember these schools have lots of Wall Street finance/law parents as well and their priorities predominate the schools. Given the high influence of corporate ambitions for the kids, these schools will not teach a progressive curriculum.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 02-14-2015 at 08:45 AM..

Old 02-14-2015, 08:36 AM

Better question: Are there any opt out parents in Westchester?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or