U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 04:51 AM

19 posts, read 20,735 times

Advertisements

Considering a house in Scarsdale (Scarsdale school district). Have a few questions around daily parking. My wife and I both work in NYC. I'd ask our realtor in more details and call around, but any information here will be greatly appreciated. Previous discussions on this topic seem somewhat vague and outdated.

(1) Which is the best lot for resident parking? Don't want to walk .5 miles after parking during daily commute.
(2) Are these reserved spots?
(3) Can both of us get parking spots there?
(4) How have the wait lists been in 2014-15?
(5) How do renewals work?
(6) What about Eastchester residents in Scarsdale PO? (This is not our case, but curious)
(7) What about the Hartsdale option?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,164 times
This might not be what you're looking for, but in case it helps: I don't know about the official permit spots/waitlist. There are metered spots, however, that don't require any permit. It's about a 5 min walk to the station from there (I suppose that might be exactly what you are not looking for). Essentially as you follow the spots down Scarsdale Ave from Popham- the closest ones require a permit, as you get further down the road-- down around Scarsdale Pizza Station area (maybe a little further), definitely by the funeral home, you'll hit the non-permit spots (there will be a sign). It costs about $6 to park for 12 hours (only have to feed meter until 7pm). The most annoying part is having to feed the meter with 24 quarters each morning, but otherwise I find it to be a pretty easy option. I've parked there anywhere from 7-9:30am for the day and never had a problem finding a spot. Could be a helpful option in the interim if there is a waitlist for closer spots. I just know that there were other stations I used in the past that I couldn't park at all and I was happily surprised to find this option so easily. One of the big resident lots is only about 2 minutes closer than where I park, so I don't think it's that far, although that's just me.

Your best bet is to probably poke around this website or give them a call: Parking

In any event, as I said above, perhaps if there is a waitlist for resident spots this will help you in the interim and not be a dealbreaker since you'll still be able to park in the interim pretty easily.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:35 PM

826 posts, read 2,112,262 times
There are different lots, and you get a permit for whichever lot you choose that has spots available. As an example, a few years ago it was around $1200ish for a yearly permit at the Christie Place lot. None of the lots are especially close to the platform. I don't recall there being a limit on the number of permits you could get, you just have to pay and there has to be availability (which there was). You must live in the Village of Scarsdale, as in the school district area ONLY. Scarsdale PO in Eastchester does not qualify. The spots are not reserved - first come first served.

If you live near Fenimore Rd you could always walk to Hartsdale, which is somewhat preferrable because tons of people do that and by the time the train gets to Scarsdale it can be standing room only. Also, there are several peak trains that just do Hartsdale-Scarsdale-GCT. If you live in Scarsdale you can NOT get a permit for Hartsdale, and vice versa.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:49 PM

263 posts, read 273,579 times
I find the difficulty of parking near the station in scarsdale very overrated. I am a non resident... I have zip, zero, nada de rights, but got a semiannual parking permit on my first attempt, no wait, no nothing, on the freightway garage. It costs about $620 for 6 months. You have a secured spot, and if you divide into the daily cost, it turns out to about $5 per day. It is 3 minutes to the track and i find it very convenient. I will be getting another permit when this one expires in June. I had no issues getting it, i just made sure my application was received the first day that they accepted them. Hope this helps!

Old 02-22-2015, 07:54 AM

19 posts, read 20,735 times
Thanks for the responses. Definitely helpful!

streetsmart:

Just a clarification. You mentioned, "The spots are not reserved - first come first served." But are there as many permits issued as there are spots? In other words, am I guaranteed to find a parking even if a particular spot is not reserved for me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or