Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:48 AM

222 posts, read 537,676 times

Advertisements

Having grown up in lower Dutchess county area I'm amazed (in a good way) that Beacon is now a desirable artsy enclave. It truly is a beautiful area and it's a shame it was so blighted in the late 80's throughout the 90's. If you're commuting 3 days a week I don't think it's an issue -- there's a direct train for like 70 minutes which goes straight to GC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:25 AM

2,617 posts, read 6,985,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardEq View Post
I would say that Peekskill is the most Beacon-ish town in Westchester in terms of the art scene and diversity, but I wouldn't recommend the schools and it is quite a drastic change from the rural vibe of PR. On the other hand, I do suggest you look into the lower river towns (Hastings, Irvington, Dobbs). They are not rural, but feel a bit more like small villages than your typical suburb. These are probably the most progressive-leaning towns in the county, and all have very good schools. Dobbs has a bit of diversity.

Honestly, I don't know Pound Ridge beyond having driven through a couple times. River towns seem like a better fit than Bedford though, IMO.
It needs to emphasized that Bedford and Pound Ridge have as many differences as similarities. In many ways Pound Ridge has much in common with the river towns apart from being "rural." In general there's probably more big money in PR than the river towns (I think). But there are also a lot of creative types. Pound Ridge has always attracted people from entertainment/creative/.alt industries. It's quite different from Bedford (much less New Canaan) where there are a lot more financial guys and fewer of the .alt types. The housing stock reflects this. PR has all kinds of contemporaries of every imaginable style, converted barns and generally funkier properties. Want a perfect center hall colonial and commuting financial types for neighbors? Bedford is for you. Want something more offbeat with a writer, professor or artist next door? [=> which exactly describes my neighbors, BTW.] Odds are much better in Pound Ridge.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:27 AM

27 posts, read 32,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Looks like it's time to bump this thread to set the record straight on Pound Ridge.

Addendum: while most of the above is certainly still valid (), the $4.5mio rec center never happened. Pity.
Umm, that entry on Pound Ridge was done in jest, right? It actually made me NOT want to live there despite the size and affordability (relative to the size) of the homes being what we need for my husband's work (among other great things). Sorry, but you made the folks living there sound douchey, for lack of a better description.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori777 View Post
Umm, that entry on Pound Ridge was done in jest, right? It actually made me NOT want to live there despite the size and affordability (relative to the size) of the homes being what we need for my husband's work (among other great things). Sorry, but you made the folks living there sound douchey, for lack of a better description.
Yes, obviously tongue-in-cheek. But do understand that something similar - and actually much more extreme - could as easily be written about Bedford, Chappaqua etc. And thread after thread on this board go after Armonk, Scarsdale and the rest for the unrepentant doucheiness of of their residents. Bottom line: if that sounds douchey then those in lots of other places would come off as far, far douchier.

Seriously though, the best advice it to drive around and see for yourself. Visit the stores, the libraries etc. Say 'hi' to people on the street and take note of the prevailing responses.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:52 AM

931 posts, read 796,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori777 View Post
It appears to me that you want to be surrounded by wild, free spirited hippy liberals. The occupy wall street types. Simple, just move to Peekskill, that's right up your alley. End of story. These other places in westchester are too clean, too quiet and too conservative for you.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,950 times
I'd also take a look at Tarrytown. There are plenty of Brooklyn ex-pats, diverse population, walk / bike to the village, reservoir, trails, Mommy and Me yoga at Riverstone yoga. There are a few cute houses on the market currently for under 800k, a few under 600k, that all happen to be in great locations. Worth taking a look in my opinion.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,756 times
Pound Ridge is very rural - you don't see kids riding bikes. The town park/ pool is nice. Pound Ridge does not have a train station - you have to drive to New Canaan or Stamford. The smallest storm causes the power to go out. My family just moved out. The only thing to do there is go to Scott's Corner which is 1 block long.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn2burbs View Post
Pound Ridge is very rural - you don't see kids riding bikes. The town park/ pool is nice. Pound Ridge does not have a train station - you have to drive to New Canaan or Stamford. The smallest storm causes the power to go out. My family just moved out. The only thing to do there is go to Scott's Corner which is 1 block long.
You can sunbathe nude in your yard without fear of embarrassment or arrest. LOL, sounds like you're a city boy.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 03-04-2015 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 03-08-2015, 10:55 PM

6 posts, read 8,746 times
Look at irvington

Old 05-15-2015, 10:07 PM

27 posts, read 32,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
It appears to me that you want to be surrounded by wild, free spirited hippy liberals. The occupy wall street types. Simple, just move to Peekskill, that's right up your alley. End of story. These other places in westchester are too clean, too quiet and too conservative for you.
Sounds amazing. Too bad the schools aren't great. The proximity to Indian Pointe is a bummer also.
And btw, "occupy wall st types" can be as annoying as tea partiers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County