Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 02:03 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P434FK View Post
Sorry - not a troll.
I don't follow the boards so I didnt know about any of the previous posters. I figured I'd put the feelers out to see if there were any other self-proclaimed atheist families around here since I obviously haven't met any in my everyday travels. Not sure why its such a suspicious topic though - is is out of the ordinary for people to seek out like-minded folk?
Yes, in this context it is since most of the people you meet will be nonreligious. As other respondants have suggested, it's pretty much the norm. Nobody goes around proclaiming their atheism or agnosticism. Why would they? It's not like you're searching for some exotic minority, like a little-known Baha'i community. Or are you looking for people that are more militant and in-your-face about their beliefs, such as vegans or Tea Partiers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 03:47 PM

263 posts, read 343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
People generally don't self-proclaim about anything that's not particularly important to them. That's gonna be the way with most atheists - its no big deal. Not something to shout about.

Just like you'd find it hard to identify from the outside people who think Northern Ireland should be rejoined to the Republic of Ireland - no-one outside an Irish pub is likely to be talking out loud about it. You'd never know.
Totally disagree... For many atheists, seeing the way this country, fox news, evangelicals, republicans and many democrats embed their faith into the country's public life makes something that SHOULD be a non-issue a TOTAL issue. I am an atheist and lived many years in Texas; i frequently wondered whether there were many oher atheists there too... Turns out there were but the religious people seemed so mainstream and dominating the culture that it made us wonder whether we would fit in too...

Old 03-20-2015, 04:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I would say it is hard to find atheists because most don't feel the need to publicly proclaim their disbelief in god any more than they feel the need to publicly proclaim their disbelief in the Easter bunny or a flat Earth.

On the internet, you seem to run into these 'religious' atheists for whom atheism is the cultural cornerstone to their entire worldview and colors their outlook and interpretation of every detail of their daily lives, but most atheists just go about their business.

Anyway, in my experience, the most religious groups in Westchester are reform Jews (who are not especially religious, but definitely observant, observing high holidays, bar mitzah, etc.) and Irish and Italian Catholics, especially those less than a couple generations removed from the old country. Presumably Latin Americans can be added to this list as well.

Then you have your C&E Catholics and mainline protestants, but I suspect the majority of them are agnostic at the very least.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:50 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I would say it is hard to find atheists because most don't feel the need to publicly proclaim their disbelief in god any more than they feel the need to publicly proclaim their disbelief in the Easter bunny or a flat Earth.

On the internet, you seem to run into these 'religious' atheists for whom atheism is the cultural cornerstone to their entire worldview and colors their outlook and interpretation of every detail of their daily lives, but most atheists just go about their business.

Anyway, in my experience, the most religious groups in Westchester are reform Jews (who are not especially religious, but definitely observant, observing high holidays, bar mitzah, etc.) and Irish and Italian Catholics, especially those less than a couple generations removed from the old country. Presumably Latin Americans can be added to this list as well.

Then you have your C&E Catholics and mainline protestants, but I suspect the majority of them are agnostic at the very least.
^^^yes, this. And the analogy with TX would be to say "I'm Christian, how do i find other Christians?" The difference being that all they'd need to do is walk into a church.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:59 PM

814 posts, read 910,931 times
It breaks down like this. If you are a devout Christian live in the southeast, if you are more liberal and open minded then live in the northeast.

My personal belief is I'm good with god, what y'all believe is your business.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:55 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Yes - these two points. Very well put.

Atheists, and agnostics, aren't going to feel under siege in the NY Metro area, and so it'll just not be so noticeable, it will barely if ever arise in conversation. But when you live in the kind of place where you get a new job and during the first coffee break on day #1 people casually ask you "Oh what church do you go to?" ... its going to be different. Culturally, its just not that way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County