U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 05:17 AM

6 posts, read 6,640 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am the Mum in a family of 5 and I am hoping that this forum will help us to narrow down our choices for our family relocation to New York - Westchester. We're moving with my husband's job and he's going to be based near Grand Central Station. The move is initially for 2 years, although it might be for much longer than that. We would like to make the first two years as pleasant and fun as possible for us and the kids, even if that means paying more for the rental etc.

We have three young children (5 and 2x3), so we're very interested in the following priorities:
- commute into GCS - as short as possible, so that we get as much Daddy time as possible
- family-friendly location with good schools for younger children - we're fine with fees-payable schools and/or state-paid schools
- nice living environment with easy access to parks/great outdoors and with a real American feel - we want to make the most of our time in the US and really hope to get to know our neighbours and community

We'd love a walking environment - walk to school/shops/parks etc and ideally somewhere that will be welcoming to foreigners.

We don't have any particular budget in mind yet, but we've seen that rentals for family houses will be $5kplus. We're doing our reading, but any hints and tips you may have will be very, very welcome.

Thank you in advance for your helpful comments!

Amy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 06:12 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,299,616 times
Larchmont , Rye in NY and Greenwich in CT ... nice towns , good schools, water front , pleasant downtowns ...lots of kid centered activities ... each have meaningful x-pat communities ... and are from 30 to 45 minute train rides into Grand Central Station. You wont go wrong at any of them.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:51 AM

Thanks cynic1. Good suggestions. We had been starting to look at Mamaroneck (as it was recently in the press for being a good place to live) and also Dobbs Ferry. I will look into your suggestions.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:04 AM

3,816 posts, read 1,804,507 times
If you are looking into Mamaroneck, check out the Rye Neck section (Rye Neck Schools). Great schools and great place to live.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:12 AM

lisanicole1 - thanks! Will do.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:49 PM

853 posts, read 2,312,389 times
Larchmont is really a good bet for short commute and walkability.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:09 AM

11 posts, read 30,824 times
Hastings on Hudson. Great Schools, walkable downtown that is very close to a train station and beautiful river views.

also some things to get accustomed to. In New York you are a Mom not a Mum. we say Zee not Zed and we don't use extra U when spelling words like Labor. It is a truck not a lorry, sweets are called candy and if you ask for chips youll get what you call crisps. Remember we drive on the right side of the road!

if you got Guap (that is an American way to say lots of money) than Scarsdale is good for you, lots of cute shops, walkable and close to the train on the Harlem, 35 minutes from Grand Central.

We love British people and your cute accents! youll be welcomed in Westchester with open arms!

Old 03-10-2015, 09:29 AM

9,689 posts, read 5,403,590 times
Hi there Amy,

I'm British also. My advice would be to use start by using Trulia to look at house searches, in conjunction with advice given on this forum about other things on your wishlist.
Trulia will will tell you which schools the house is zoned for - from that you will get a general idea of which are the better school districts.
Most of the schools in Westchester are pretty good in all honesty, but greatschools gives you a good general overview of what to expect and includes test scores etc.
If you are definitely only going to be here short term, and your kids are only going to attend elementary schools then just go for the place you like best. If you are going to stay until your kids hit high school then you might want to spend a bit more time looking at potential middle schools and high schools also.
Kids here stay in the same school district ie if you kids go to Scarsdale elementary schools, the kids will all go to the same middle school and high school. The high schools can vary in terms of quality.

You will pay WAY more for a house in an exemplary school district.

Beyond that I don't think you can go wrong in Westchester. It's a great place - I think you will feel very at home here. Feel free to DM me or ask on here if you have any questions.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:18 PM

581 posts, read 1,223,174 times
Just buy the most expensive town you can afford.
It's really that simple

Old 03-12-2015, 07:28 AM

9,689 posts, read 5,403,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Just buy the most expensive town you can afford.
It's really that simple

No it really isn't that simple.

I assume by the way that you mean "buy in the most expensive town you can afford" not "buy the most expensive town you can afford".
Few people can afford to buy an entire town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County