Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:41 PM

17 posts, read 131,389 times

Advertisements

I've been renting in the town of Fleetwood for 3 years and found it to be reasonably safe and convenient. Now I'm considering buying a co-op on northern Bronx River Road or southern Midland Avenue (the part of Yonkers everyone calls "Bronxville P.O.").

It seems like more of the well-dressed professionals are walking towards the Yonkers side of the tracks when they get off the train from the city. And from the few co-ops I've viewed there so far, they're much better kept than in Fleetwood. (I looked at 3 co-op buildings in Fleetwood whose common areas were positively shabby, bordering on scary.)

So, the Yonkers side --- how safe it is at night? I've driven around at night a few times and there doesn't seem to be much foot traffic. Also there's a playground/park that I worry might be a gathering place for shady activities at night.

I can see that parking is very tight, much more difficult than in Fleetwood where the residential blocks are plentiful and only a few blocks from Gramatan Avenue. How is that when you want to have guests over who drive?

Any comments on life in general there would be most welcome.

Last edited by CityCat28; 01-14-2008 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: want to change title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 07:31 AM

43 posts, read 162,383 times
Nice enough area. Terrible street parking. Lots of shopping. Close to NYC. Co-op and Yonkers schools, so resale can be tough depending on when your selling.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:43 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,668 times
I wouldn't buy in a complex that did not guarantee you a parking space. And if you have a guest over, you should park on the street and let him take your space.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:45 AM

4 posts, read 20,659 times
City Cat: I'm afraid I'm not able to answe your question really - but I noticed you said youve been renting in Fleetwood for 3 years - I just posted a SOS message since I'm looking for good, diverse and safe neighbourhoods to rent in which also have easy access to Manhattan. What are your recommendations, if any?

Good luck with the house hunt Thanks for your time too...

Old 01-16-2008, 09:15 PM

17 posts, read 131,389 times
Dear AditiB, Fleetwood is indeed safe and a quick commute to Manhattan.

White Plains definitely costs more and is farther from the city, but offers better shopping. As for the other neighborhoods, I can only speak for the Harlem line but I'm sure they're all a decent commute on the train. Fleetwood is one of the closest at 30 minutes. Closer in are Mt. Vernon West, Wakefield and Woodlawn.

Going north, I think other towns farther north offer more in the way of nicer apartments, amenities, shops, and culture but I think they all cost more. Going south, Woodlawn offers a bar scene if you're into that but in my experience if you're not Irish you won't feel very welcomed.

I would say Fleetwood is somewhat diverse -- a lot of white especially Italian, and just random American people, some Jewish, some black, and just a few Asian and Middle Eastern people, mostly only those who own shops; I don't think they live here.

It really depends what your budget is... I recommend searching for apartments on craigslist, then taking a weekend or some weekday evenings and just coming up on the train to the different neighborhoods and you'll get a feel for what you like. Fleetwood is decent and safe but it's a little shabby and not too interesting. It does have the Bayou if you're into live music and cajun food.

One final thing, if you're looking in Fleetwood I STRONGLY DISCOURAGE you from renting in a building owned by the DiFeo family. They are the landlords of my building and some others in the neighborhood and they keep their buildings very cold in the winter. The laundry room and common areas also aren't kept very nicely. I've met other people in DiFeo buildings and they say the same thing.

Hope this all helps.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:20 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityCat28 View Post

White Plains definitely costs more and is farther from the city, but offers better shopping. As for the other neighborhoods, I can only speak for the Harlem line but I'm sure they're all a decent commute on the train. Fleetwood is one of the closest at 30 minutes. Closer in are Mt. Vernon West, Wakefield and Woodlawn.

Going north, I think other towns farther north offer more in the way of nicer apartments, amenities, shops, and culture but I think they all cost more. Going south, Woodlawn offers a bar scene if you're into that but in my experience if you're not Irish you won't feel very welcomed.
Woodlawn is about the same on the train. Generally the ride is 30 minutes, but if you get lucky some off hour trains can make it between Grand Central and Woodlawn in 25 minutes.

White Plains is farther out, but it has TONS of express trains (some leaving every 5-10 minutes during rush hour, just like the subway) going to the city in about 35-37 minutes. White Plains is really expensive, and you can't walk to much of anything there. It is kind of like one big suburb with tall buildings, and really bad parking. (there are tons of parking garages around but they all charge to park there).

Old 01-17-2008, 11:27 AM

490 posts, read 1,787,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
White Plains is farther out, but it has TONS of express trains (some leaving every 5-10 minutes during rush hour, just like the subway) going to the city in about 35-37 minutes. White Plains is really expensive, and you can't walk to much of anything there. It is kind of like one big suburb with tall buildings, and really bad parking. (there are tons of parking garages around but they all charge to park there).
_________

Dear Mead,
AY! Beg to dissagree. I know is not a thread about WP but that's my town and I got to defend it. It is expensive, and they do charge for parking almost everywhere BUT is one of the most walkable cities. You CAN walk everywhere and not need a car much.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:54 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,719 times
I stand by my statements. Most of WP is not walkable.

People don't walk to the grocery store, they don't walk to the malls, they don't walk to local restaurants, and most people don't even walk to their local convenience stores/bodegas. Perhaps some people may take walks around White Plains for exercise, but they do not do so for functional reasons as occurs in normal urban areas.

White Plains was redeveloped heavily, as I am sure you know, back in the 1950s/1960s and up until the present day with the idea of urban renewal. Basically what this has resulted is that much of White Plains resembles an office park, but without the park. Large swaths of the town have 4 lane one way roads and single-use office buildings. This type of construction is not condusive to walkable neighborhoods.

Don't get me wrong, I like White Plains, and spend a good deal of time there. However it is simply not much of a walkable environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambar371 View Post
_________

Dear Mead,
AY! Beg to dissagree. I know is not a thread about WP but that's my town and I got to defend it. It is expensive, and they do charge for parking almost everywhere BUT is one of the most walkable cities. You CAN walk everywhere and not need a car much.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:10 AM

490 posts, read 1,787,992 times
[quote=mead;2546391]I stand by my statements. Most of WP is not walkable.

People don't walk to the grocery store, they don't walk to the malls, they don't walk to local restaurants, and most people don't even walk to their local convenience stores/bodegas. Perhaps some people may take walks around White Plains for exercise, but they do not do so for functional reasons as occurs in normal urban areas.
People don't walk because they are lazy. I walked almost everywhere: malls, bodegas, movies, park, Walmart (when light shopping), Drs. appointments, restaurants. I only used my car for work and when going to Tarrytown road (119), Central Ave, Saxon Woods and of course, places outside WP. My car is almost six years old and it has 30,000 miles because after work, I parked it and walked everywhere.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 AM

364 posts, read 1,978,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I wouldn't buy in a complex that did not guarantee you a parking space. And if you have a guest over, you should park on the street and let him take your space.
I would be surprised if you found one that actually provides you with a parking spot......unless it is a really expensive complex

I went to see a trizillion different places and in most of them you had to park on the street or get yourself in a loooooooooooooong waiting list for a parking garage.

That seems to be the norm pretty much everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County