Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 09:00 PM

6 posts, read 16,462 times

Advertisements

Hi all - we currently live on the UWS but are considering the move to Westchester this year. For background, my wife and I are both in our early 30s, are Asian, have a young daughter and 2 small dogs. I work in finance and my wife was a private school teacher but now a SAHM. We are trying to stick to the $2+/- range and initially narrowed it down to Scarsdale, Edgemont, Bronxville and Ardsley based on 1) schools and 2) proximity it to the city (I work in midtown east, north of GCT).

Now sadly, this budget doesn't get us that great of a house in Scarsdale, Bronxville or Edgemont schools. We considered going higher on budget but really the houses we'd want to live in (and not just settle for) are outside what we would be comfortable spending. So that's now leading us to consider moving a bit farther up north to Chappaqua and Armonk. A few questions for folks here:

1) what's the "real" commute time from Chappaqua and Armonk into GCT?

Driving to Stations. I know Armonk means driving to North White Plains, how bad is traffic on weekday mornings getting to the station (vs say getting to Hartsdale station from Ardsley or Edgemont)?

Trains. I know the schedule for Chappaqua express is 50+/- minutes, but how consistent is the schedule vs delays in real life? Similarly any issues with trains getting to North White Plains (express)? I know the Harlem line is generally better but with all of the recent accidents have they been slowing the trains down at all?

2) what's the parking situation at Chappaqua and North White Plains? I usually don't get into the office until about 9:30am - is it a station where all the spots are taken by 7am?

3) what can we expect re: the social scene and meeting new people? I think of us as down to earth people, I admit my work affords us a comfortable lifestyle, we like nice things, drive a nicer car etc, but we didn't grow up yachting and both of us come from pretty normal middle class upbringings. Should we have any concerns about "fitting in" demographically?

Outside of kids' play dates and meeting other parents, how else would we meet new people? I golf and my wife plays tennis but we do so recreationally and don't play all that well. Is the CC route off the table? How open are the CCs in the area (eg can I call and apply for membership?). What should we expect for upfronts and dues?

Any other thoughts or comments welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 08:39 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Why not Harrison? Schools are fine, has its own train station, or you can catch the MNR in White Plains. You may have a better chance finding a house well w/in your budget and like minded educated (but not fabulously rich) upper middle class peers in the community.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,329 times
My wife and I are in similar situation to you - we are both Asian, I work in Finance while wife owns a dental practice. We both had somewhat humble upbringings and we both recently moved up from the city. We bought in the Byram Hills school district 2 years ago we love living up here with the amount of space and land we have. My only complaint, though, is about fitting in. Having been to some of the pre-school association meetings I got to say the parents here are not the friendliest. We are actually considering sending our daughter to Hackley despite Byram Hill schools having very good reputation - from the diversity stand point I want my kid to go to a school that is not 99% white. Expensive, I know, but I am willing to pay the price. Chappaqua might be better, I wouldn't know.

In terms of commute it's not bad at all. It's 40 to 50 min on the train and parking is not hard at all even if you show up a little late.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:25 AM

223 posts, read 828,446 times
Have you looked at Briarcliff Manor?

Old 04-20-2015, 03:26 PM

Thanks willythelu - that's helpful background and was the type of info I was hoping to get. I have a co-worker who lives in Armonk and also sends his kids to private school though not for the same reason.

Statistically (according to the student demographic info on greatschools.org) it looks like Chappaqua is a little more diverse (85% white, 9% asian, 6% black + hispanic + other) than Byram Hills (94% white, 4% asian, 2% black + hispanic). But stats don't really tell the story so if anyone else on this board currently has their child enrolled in Horace Greeley and can add any color that would be very much appreciated e.g. if the school does anything in particular around cultural awareness, if students end up forming "cliques" along demographic lines, etc.

I personally grew up and went to a school that was statistically diverse but kids didn't really mingle outside of their own demographic group - which we don't want for our kids. I think of it as an extension of parents and families fitting in with the broader community, which goes back to my concern above re: "fitting in", meeting other parents, avenues to making friends with others in the community etc.

Mfenimore - we haven't yet looked at Briarcliff, know the schools are also very good but any inside scoop you can provide would be appreciated.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:47 AM

I live in Briarcliff, commute to city is easy 42 minutes on train. Depending where you live in town, you utilize one of two train stations(Hawthorne or Scarborough), both 10 min easy drives. This is a small town(so you cannot hide!), one elementary, middle and high school, but schools are great. You really do get to know mostly everyone in your child's grade once they start school and are involved in activities. But I really have found most people very down to earth. Some people in the town have nicer things than others but no one really makes a big deal about it. There is a good variety of houses-we have a few condo communities, then houses from $600k to $2 million. Nice open feel and decent amount of property(up to an acre for some homes) but not too rural.Town center is basically a strip of stores but you are close enough to neighboring towns like Pleasantville, Chappaqua, ect. Taxes are high but you are paying for great schools.

The town has a community pool and tennis that a lot of people utilize. Lots of younger kids go to town camp in summer Some people do belong to country clubs in area. Admissions requirements and dues vary depending on which club you choose.

LMK if you have further questions!

Old 04-27-2015, 10:28 AM

Thanks, mfenimore that's very helpful!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:39 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Do google search on "Briarcliff Manor Fill for Fields" and see what you come up with.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:09 AM

This problem has been rectified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County