Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:22 AM

986 posts, read 1,016,703 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed an increase in (illegal) panhandling inside metro north trains waiting to depart from Grand Central? I am certainly supportive of donations to charities for the homeless and the needy, but I am sick and tired of scam artists lying their way into getting cash from kindhearted and deceived train passengers.

Last night, for about the 8th time in the last few years, a disheveled looking guy came onto my 7:09 p.m. New Haven line train, claiming that he was just released from rehab and "needs 7 more dollars to get home." He stood there for almost 10 excruciating minutes claiming that he really needs to get on this train to get home to his family, and that the rehab facility didn't give him enough cash for this peak hour train. Two people ended up giving him the $7 he needed, which he accepted, and then hopped off the train right before the doors closed. And he surely did the same thing for the next train sitting in the station.

Folks, it's a complete scam. If this guy really needed to get home, offer to let him stay on the train, and when the conductor collects tickets, you'll pay his difference. I promise you that he won't accept, because he just wants cash, which from the looks of the 2 men I've seen doing this, is going straight to purchase drugs and/or booze.

I've seen 2 different men do this - both are white men in their 30's or 40's who look strung up on drugs. Last night's guy was bald/shaved head, and the other guy has blondish hair. Please do not support this practice - they are lying to everyone and making commuters quite uncomfortable. Donate to charity instead, and ignore these losers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 08:38 AM

562 posts, read 1,058,161 times
It happens quite often on the LIRR too.

But there seems to be an uptick of panhandlers in the immediate GCT area, especially along Fifth and Madison avenues. Usually young adults puffing away on cigarettes (and sometimes have dogs) asking for either a bus ticket, train ticket, or a miracle. They hardly look up while asking, and many of them seem strung out.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:43 AM

Yes, there has been an uptick in panhandlers on the southeast side of Grand Central as well. I work at 42nd and Lex, and there are at least half a dozen different panhandlers who set up shop every day in that immediate vicinity between 41st and 44th Streets. There is a woman who is pregnant (or pretending to be pregnant) and a guy with a disfigured face, as well as a guy who claims to be a veteran of the marine corps.

Twice this week I also saw this jerk panhandler who has a menagerie of animals that he keeps tied up outside with no food or water, including guinea pigs and small birds that are literally scared stiff. He also has multiple dogs and cats, and for some idiotic reason people give him money. I called the ASPCA about him many times and they have hugely disappointed me.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Twice this week I also saw this jerk panhandler who has a menagerie of animals that he keeps tied up outside with no food or water, including guinea pigs and small birds that are literally scared stiff. He also has multiple dogs and cats, and for some idiotic reason people give him money. I called the ASPCA about him many times and they have hugely disappointed me.
I bet if you called PETA instead, there would be a field day.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:57 AM

I am not a fan of PETA and would not call them. I am an animal lover and oppose animal cruelty, but I do not subscribe to PETA's extreme beliefs. I'm a huge fan of the ASPCA and Humane Society. And in NYC, the ASPCA has police authority re: animal cruelty, so they're the correct organization to call if you see animal abuse or neglect.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I am not a fan of PETA and would not call them. I am an animal lover and oppose animal cruelty, but I do not subscribe to PETA's extreme beliefs. I'm a huge fan of the ASPCA and Humane Society. And in NYC, the ASPCA has police authority re: animal cruelty, so they're the correct organization to call if you see animal abuse or neglect.
Nor am I - but I'm just surprised the ASPCA hasn't responded.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:10 AM

The ASPCA has been called about this many times, and their determination is that although what he is doing is irresponsible and not advisable, it does not rise to the level of "cruelty" required to make an arrest or take his animals from him.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
The ASPCA has been called about this many times, and their determination is that although what he is doing is irresponsible and not advisable, it does not rise to the level of "cruelty" required to make an arrest or take his animals from him.
I was just looking up stories on panhandlers and found one from 2011 on this very person - I'm guessing it was you who was quoted, based on the initials. It's been going on for that long? Amazing.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:38 AM

Yes, that was me quoted. Good detective work. This has been going on since at least a couple of years before that 2011 article. I'd say it's 7 or 8 years now.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:05 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,565 times
I thought when someone left rehab they gave em a bus ticket home? Or is that jail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: