U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:34 AM

825 posts, read 2,111,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlabmaster99 View Post
I don't think anyone can spend the entire summer on vacation, they have to be back at the office by monday. Maybe the women and children go to vacation? idk.
EITHER
a). the dad's spend a couple of weeks on vacay and the mom/kids stay the rest of the time (dads visit on weekends - Hamptons)

OR
b). the dad works from the Paris/London/Geneva/Zurich/wherever office of their company for a month or so every year. No kidding, I know people who do this - there are a lot of international families in Scarsdale.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 10:58 AM

148 posts, read 479,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
You will find the same materialism issues in most southern Westchester towns with good-performing schools, especially the ones with few SD budget problems. They tend to manifest themselves in subtle ways like your kid one day asking you to buy one expensive item or another because a rich friend has it. A lot of young women there have designer handbags and shoes! You'll just have to deal with it when you get there. If you want to live somewhere where the people aspire for less expensive objects, look further north like Yorktown Heights or Katonah.
Scarsdale is mostly made up of "Old Money" behavior and attitudes, although there are still parts which are far too materialistic, showing off the $2000 handbags and $1000 sneakers! It's a bit much these days, although you can always just disregard it if your kids are going to good schools, hence the number of spoiled brats who carry expensive cell phones at the age of 10!

Hard working Yorktown residents appear to maintain a more realistic approach and are a lot less flashy. I would probably choose to live there vs. Scarsdale if I had a lot of dough!

Last edited by Yoowanna; 05-23-2015 at 12:15 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 07:41 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,850,999 times
"Old Money" in Scarsdale? Some, but not that much.
Rye is the Old Money town. Scarsdale has plenty of affluent professionals and new money.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:04 PM

60 posts, read 194,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
Just move to the Scarsdale section with Eastchester schools. It's just as nice and you wouldn't have to worry about that element (or at least not to the same degree) for your daughter in the schools.
True but the town's almost entirely Catholic and they're not.

'Relative poverty' can be hard. Dad's income was solid but it was the bottom 25% of incomes in Hastings when I was growing up. It was hard watching friends go on great vacations and have the best and newest of everything while we did hand-me downs and last year's model shoes and clothes. I knew I didn't want that for my kids.

We live in Eastchester instead of Bronxville because in Eastchester our income is definitely upper half and it would be bottom quartile in BXV or Scarsdale. I don't have to worry as much about my middle school daughter wanting tory burch shoes and a longchamp bag whereas, all the middle schoolers I know from BXV through our church have both those and most have Hermes bracelets. I have other worries with my kids and my own beefs with Eastchester but I think where you fall on a town's income scale can be really impactful.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:25 PM

279 posts, read 415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"Old Money" in Scarsdale? Some, but not that much.
Rye is the Old Money town. Scarsdale has plenty of affluent professionals and new money.
That I can agree with!

Old 06-01-2015, 08:02 AM

729 posts, read 603,669 times
I very much agree with NYGirl128's excellent post about relative wealth. It's not Westchester-specific, but I went to college and grad school with a lot of students from far wealthier backgrounds than mine. I generally got along very well with them and most of my best friends were quite wealthy compared to me. I gravitated toward the type of friends I'd consider non-snobby and down to earth, but there's still a glaring difference in terms of what you can afford and what you consider normal.

For example, the summer after college graduation many of my friends spent a few months in Europe on their parents' dime, while I went on a 1 week Caribbean cruise with high school friends, and stayed in a cabin in the least expensive part of the ship. Same thing after grad school - I had friends taking African safaris and going all over Europe, while I went with my girlfriend (and later wife) for a long weekend to New Orleans. The type of friends I had certainly didn't make me feel bad about that, and I'm certainly not crying poverty because I had to vacation in New Orleans or Jamaica, but I was very much aware at the time that expensive European travel was something they considered normal and I considered unreachable.

I guess the other point is that attitudes about wealth and money and material items matter tremendously. I personally would never live in a place like Scarsdale/Chappaqua/Bronxville/Rye that is known for perhaps being showy and materialistic, despite that my wife and I could afford to live in a modest home there. It's entirely a personal preference but I'd rather take my chances on a town that isn't known for materialism.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:30 AM

694 posts, read 1,025,980 times
My friend, also a Russian Jewish immigrant, was checking Scarsdale out. She is making very good money in a hedge fund, and is very down to earth when it comes to clothing and bags, one thing that she really loves in terms of material possessions, are great cars, so she drives BMW, don't ask me the model, I could not care less, all I know is that it cost 60k, for which she was able to pay all cash. She told me when she parked in downtown Scarsdale, she felt like she was driving an old beat up Ford because she was surrounded by Maserati, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, and so on.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:06 PM

3 posts, read 7,804 times
Thank you everyone for your time and informative responses!

Old 06-08-2015, 08:19 AM

8,241 posts, read 4,440,936 times
I guess it depends on whether you care about how people perceive you.

Personally I don't care about that sort of thing and never have done - and I grew up very lower working class - what would be considered a poverty line upbringing by most standards.
I never worried that other families had more money and material things than my family did. I just accepted that was the way things were.

Now I live in Scarsdale I still don't care what people think and I still don't hanker for expensive clothes and cars.
Yes there are lots of people with enormous houses, but there are also lots of houses under 1500sq ft with no yard. Do you have to rub shoulders with everyone? No you don't. You will gravitate towards people who are like you... and how many friends do you need? People are just people wherever you are, - it's inverted snobbery to think otherwise.

I chose to live in Scarsdale basically because it ticked a lot of the boxes. I considered and then gradually eliminated the other towns for a variety of reasons and Scarsdale was the town that seemed to me to offer the most of the things we were looking for.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:36 PM

5 posts, read 8,285 times
Scarsdale's divided into sections with very (very very) different attitudes and types of people - Edgewood (doctors, blue collar, overseas businessmen with houses provided by their companies for 3-5 years, close to Eastchester's Italian/Catholic population) is going to be dramatically different than Heathcote (older money, country club attitude), etc. So some parts you'd fit in and like fine imo, and others are kind of stifling. If you expect very religious population, it will not be that religious but if you are more laid back and/or not orthodox, then there is a very large culturally jewish population (lots of reformed or non practicing), so I don't think this aspect will affect your experience living in Scarsdale at all. I think moneywise, if you can get a house financed comfortably or have large downpayments, you would fit in fine in some parts of town and be comfortable.

It's a great place to raise kids, at least till elementary level, as all the schools until junior high are split up by neighborhood. Once you start entering junior high/high school you (your kid(s)) will encounter a lot of pressure for material things, and general snobbery and more elitist attitudes. You are going to have to pay significant attention to raising your kids and instilling values in them so they do not end up being little elitist spoiled pricks. The high school is lovely, and filled with wonderful teachers, some of the best in the country imo, and hard workers academically will end up in top notch places and really treasure their high school experiences. Or be spoiled little prigs that are high all the time and skip half their classes and have huge entitlement complexes. This is the major issue with raising kids in Scarsdale, and many of the more expensive Westchester towns (but imo Scarsdale much more so, possibly outdone by Rye).

(I grew up in Edgewood, but came to the area when I was 12, and my much younger brother spent his entire live in the area and encountered very different attitudes. I loved my high school, but disliked most of my classmates, so focused on academics and the teachers there were brilliant. My brother felt significant peer pressure and had a very different high school experience and has not done as well overall. Quite possibly the school system has gone down and the % spoiled kids has gone way up. I would probably not raise my kids there (and I have opportunity to do so) unless they had significant reality checks impressed upon them some other way.)

Tldr; @kappyhouse: I think you will be fine, but probably look at Edgewood. There were a significant number of professors/high school teachers and engineers there, some with only one working parents, and still are. Nearly all the people I met, and still meet when I go home to visit my family, are highly educated, which is surprisingly not the case in a lot of other cities/areas...

Last edited by liselee44; 06-09-2015 at 06:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County