U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 06:47 PM

263 posts, read 273,579 times

Advertisements

So, i thought long and hard about this... I can see both sides because my husband and i have been able to afford living in pretty nice areas... Both ih Houston and now here. I grew up in large cities, Mexico City, London, Houston, so nobody had to give me A subsidy to afford my house. However, earlier when i first got married, low cost housing allowed us to buy our very first small coop.

Also, everywhere i lived i was able to hire people to babysit, do housecleaning and other jobs because these cities had expensive neighborhoods next to middle class neighborhoods, next to low income housing neighborhoods. This also helped satisfy the demand for services in tthe area. I have found that here it was very hard to find a nanny for whom making the trip to Ardsley was worth it or a decent commute. Good childcare was uber expensive or very hard to find in the area, my housecleaner has to drive 30 miles, just like she has to drive to other locations across westchester...

Net net, high income neighborhoods will always be high income neighborhoods, they will look nicer, more manicured, and if they build affordable housing they wont build it on the same Neighborhood, but in the same village or town,for goodness sake. This will bring much needed diveristy to the area. We should never forget that we are privileged to live here and a few affordable developments here and ther will noy bring down anyone's lifestyle, just enhance it..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 09:19 PM

814 posts, read 752,985 times
New York is ridiculous exspensive to begin with, when folks are earning six figures and still struggle, its not the people, its the state run by greedy politicians.

The finance industry took a huge hit during the collapse and we as a country have not fully recovered, finance is one of New Yorks biggest employers so job cuts not good.

Malloy will run Connecticut more into the ground and New Jersey has suffered loss from both the financial and gaming industries, that whole area is screwed and if the politicians dont change their ways ya'll will become the next Detroit within 10 years if not sooner, you cant tax residents and businesses to death and expect them to stick around.

I left New York as a teenager when my parents decided to move, I still miss Putnam/Northern Westchester which is the area I grew up in , 15 minutes to Danbury, Marcus Dairy, stock car racing on Saturday nights at Danbury Fair.

The wife and I bring in six figures, combined maybe around 115-120, and there is no way we would ever have the quality of life in NY that we have in Va, NY, CT, and NJ are too damn exspensive.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:29 PM

451 posts, read 600,149 times
Neighborhoods should evolve naturally. When you (anyone) can afford to live in a nicer area, you can move there. Forcing lower income people into an exclusive area just seems backwards. (This happened in Mount Vernon in the sixties with the new high school. That was the end of Mount Vernon.)

Old 12-03-2016, 06:32 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,754,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
Neighborhoods should evolve naturally. When you (anyone) can afford to live in a nicer area, you can move there. Forcing lower income people into an exclusive area just seems backwards. (This happened in Mount Vernon in the sixties with the new high school. That was the end of Mount Vernon.)
Zoning laws (you cannot build even one apartment complex in the entire town -- which exists in Northern Westchester) are not "neighborhoods evolving naturally" anymore than subsidized rents/vouchers/etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County