Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 04:18 PM

17 posts, read 20,926 times

Advertisements

After a year of subliminal lobbying on my part, my husband has started making noises about the suburbs possibly being a good idea (he thinks it's all his idea, and I'm keeping my mouth shut).

We are going to make our first Westchester foray this weekend, to either Larchmont or Mamaroneck. We don't have a car, so we'll be taking the train up, and we'll have a 2.5-year-old with us. Any recommendations for things we should see, places we should eat, routes we should stroll along, etc.? We're not necessarily looking for anything major or exciting to do, just taking a train trip and getting out of the city makes it adventure enough. The true goal here is to make my husband think he might be discovering a good place for us to live.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 04:32 PM

984 posts, read 1,000,840 times
Take the train to Larchmont and a taxi to Larchmont Manor Park. It's a gorgeous waterfront park with lots of families and children and dogs enjoying the views and walking paths, especially on weekends. Beautiful rocky New England coastline and lots of boats on the Sound, and the park has gazebos and benches to sit and enjoy the view. I live in Larchmont and adore the place, as does my 2 year old daughter.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:58 PM

865 posts, read 2,469,140 times
OR...

Take the train to Mamaroneck, walk down the Avenue towards Harbor Island Park, stopping at one of the many restaurants for lunch along the way. There's Hash o Nash, Smash Burger, Gin Ban, 360 American Grill, Salsa Fresca, Rani Mahal, Molly Spillane's...So many more I can't remember them all. Or just get a froyo at Cherry Tree or ice cream at Paleteria Fernandez or gelato at Sal's to enjoy as you walk (you catch my drift, there's a lot to choose from).

Then spend some time in the park at the playground and/or on the beach. No taxi required.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:30 PM

Thank you both for the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Take the train to Larchmont and a taxi to Larchmont Manor Park. It's a gorgeous waterfront park with lots of families and children and dogs enjoying the views and walking paths, especially on weekends. Beautiful rocky New England coastline and lots of boats on the Sound, and the park has gazebos and benches to sit and enjoy the view. I live in Larchmont and adore the place, as does my 2 year old daughter.
It sounds lovely. Sadly, I think the taxi will be out, because no way am I schlepping the car seat (I know, it's 5 minutes, but still...). Any Larchmont restaurants your 2-year-old particularly enjoys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
OR...

Take the train to Mamaroneck, walk down the Avenue towards Harbor Island Park, stopping at one of the many restaurants for lunch along the way. There's Hash o Nash, Smash Burger, Gin Ban, 360 American Grill, Salsa Fresca, Rani Mahal, Molly Spillane's...So many more I can't remember them all. Or just get a froyo at Cherry Tree or ice cream at Paleteria Fernandez or gelato at Sal's to enjoy as you walk (you catch my drift, there's a lot to choose from).

Then spend some time in the park at the playground and/or on the beach. No taxi required.
This was pretty much my original plan. Any particularly pleasant residential areas we could stray through on our way back?

Old 08-12-2015, 08:24 PM

865 posts, read 2,469,140 times
In short, not really... The nicest residential streets in Mamaroneck would take you in the opposite direction from the train (i.e. Orienta or Shore Acres). If you were into walking you could walk around the harbor to get a taste of Orienta, but like I said, you're heading away from the train station.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:38 AM

18 posts, read 28,956 times
Take the train to Larchmont, walk to Turtle Park playground for your 2.5 year old (located at Hall Ave and Palmer Ave). Then walk down Chatsworth Ave and have lunch at Stanz, Chat 19 or Encore Bistro Francais. Stop by Bradley's for a cookie or brownie. Turn right on Boston Post Road and visit the library on Larchmont Ave - check out the wonderful children's area. Then walk back up Larchmont Ave to Palmer Ave and head back to the train station.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:28 AM

Larchmonter makes excellent suggestions. My 2 year old daughter goes to the library all the time and loves it. I'd also add that in the streets surrounding the village you can get a good sense of the type of homes available in Larchmont. Btw I also love Mamaroneck, and you can't go wrong with either - they share a school district in fact.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larchmonter View Post
Take the train to Larchmont, walk to Turtle Park playground for your 2.5 year old (located at Hall Ave and Palmer Ave). Then walk down Chatsworth Ave and have lunch at Stanz, Chat 19 or Encore Bistro Francais. Stop by Bradley's for a cookie or brownie. Turn right on Boston Post Road and visit the library on Larchmont Ave - check out the wonderful children's area. Then walk back up Larchmont Ave to Palmer Ave and head back to the train station.
That sounds really nice...I guess I'll put the two options to my husband, see if he's more in a park mood or a town mood.

How busy are the villages on a typical Saturday? Is there a lot of foot traffic?

Old 08-13-2015, 11:56 AM

They are vibrant but certainly not overcrowded or anything close to the level of foot traffic you see in NYC. On a sunny August weekend, many people will be at the park (Harbor Island in Mamaroneck and Larchmont Manor in Larchmont), and in Larchmont will be at the private beach for Larchmont residents that is next to Manor Park. You'll of course see people in town, but between vacations and weekends at the beach, you're not going to see tons of people walking in either town this weekend.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:18 PM

18 posts, read 28,956 times
Yeah it won't be super crowded. If you come on Saturday morning to Larchmont, our farmer's market will be going on right at the station too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County