Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,454 times

Advertisements

Hello we are considering moving to either Somers NY or Yorktown Heights NY (Yorktown Central School District) We are stuck as to which town has more things to do for kids and activities. We have 2,4 & 7 year old. We are concerned about the schools and what they have to offer also which town will offer more for family and kids. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 01:49 PM

307 posts, read 637,125 times
There are a lot of threads in this forum weighing the pros and cons of Yorktown. (you can search the forum for Yorktown). I think the general consensus has been that the schools in Yorktown Heights are good, and there are plenty of activities, as the area is well populated with families. Somers is rarely discussed, but I live in the town next door and it has always felt a bit more rural/country and spread out (which I actually prefer) It may be a notch above as far as schools and price though.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:32 PM

4,762 posts, read 792,924 times
I'm very familiar with both towns, and I would agree that Somers is slightly more expensive and definitely more spread apart. I heard nothing but positive things about the school district before I moved here, only to find once I got here that some people seemed to have mixed feelings about it (mainly due to drug abuse among the high school kids....but then again, what district doesn't have that problem?) There are plenty of available activities for the kids in both districts. I'd be glad to answer any further questions you may have (about Somers in particular).

Old 08-12-2015, 10:50 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yespinky View Post
Hello we are considering moving to either Somers NY or Yorktown Heights NY (Yorktown Central School District) We are stuck as to which town has more things to do for kids and activities. We have 2,4 & 7 year old. We are concerned about the schools and what they have to offer also which town will offer more for family and kids. thank you
Yorktown and Somers are fairly similar. Yorktown is large, with the western portion far more "suburb" and the western portion far more rural. I always warn people to look carefully at the school district a particular house is in. A larger portion of yorktown than many think is in the Lakeland school district. Towns and school do not come close to matching borders in this part of the country.

Though I think both are close, I would say most think the Yorktown schools are slightly better than the Somers schools, especially at the high school level. In terms of activities, it is very close. Look at the shrub oak athletic club for the community sports rec leagues that kids in both towns join. Both are great. If you have activities questions, let me know.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:44 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,243 times
Yorktown is good people.
All of my blue collar Italian friends live in Yorktown.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:09 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
I went to FDR state park last weekend and afterwards encountered traffic eastbound along 202 (traffic both directions). Is traffic a common issue there? If using the Hudson line, does it make more sense to live west of the Taconic to minimize traffic?

Old 08-18-2015, 06:46 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I went to FDR state park last weekend and afterwards encountered traffic eastbound along 202 (traffic both directions). Is traffic a common issue there? If using the Hudson line, does it make more sense to live west of the Taconic to minimize traffic?
Weekend traffic and morning traffic are very different. Rt 202 has a great deal of traffic heading to the Taconic from both directions in the morning, but less when it is early. If you are going to the Hudson line, once you pass the Taconic, the traffic eases up significantly. If you park in Peekskill, Cortlandt or Croton, the traffic is light toward these stations. Of course, its summer, so traffic is lighter now anyway. Once school starts the traffic patterns change as school busses, working parents leaving later, teachers and such all impact the traffic.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:51 AM

307 posts, read 637,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Yorktown is good people.
All of my blue collar Italian friends live in Yorktown.
I have read many posts on these forums that counter this opinion of Yorktown. Some saying that it is comparable to some of the towns in Northeastern Westchester (Pound Ridge, Bedford, Katonah). I don't know enough about Yorktown to confirm or deny this, but I do know that its a big town so it may be the case. The only downside to Yorktown is that depending on where you live, it may be a long drive to a train station.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:24 AM

4,762 posts, read 792,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
I have read many posts on these forums that counter this opinion of Yorktown. Some saying that it is comparable to some of the towns in Northeastern Westchester (Pound Ridge, Bedford, Katonah). I don't know enough about Yorktown to confirm or deny this, but I do know that its a big town so it may be the case. The only downside to Yorktown is that depending on where you live, it may be a long drive to a train station.
I'd say Yorktown is somewhere in the middle between the stereotypical "blue collar Italians" and the demographics of the bordering Northeastern Westchester towns.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:29 PM

156 posts, read 304,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post

Yes this is true. Once upon a time, many decades ago, we had a train line in Yorktown proper. (There is a railroad park to commemorate this). But most people are 12 to 15 minutes away from either Mt. Kisco or Croton. My neighbor actually likes to drive to Katonah, even though I drive to Croton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County