U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:49 AM

17 posts, read 19,422 times

Advertisements

We still can't decide where we're heading...maybe we'll flip a coin in the morning!

One (perhaps) last question: If we get to a restaurant around 11ish, will we encounter any brunch rush problems?

(This is our crowd fatigue coming through...after a decade and a half in the Village/Soho, the idea of having places to go without crowds to fight is wildly appealing.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 12:32 PM

865 posts, read 816,488 times
In August I can't imagine you'll have any problem. I love Chat19 in Larchmont for brunch and we've walked in a few times between 11 and noon and gotten nice outdoor seating. I can't imagine it's a problem in Mamaroneck either.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:02 PM

18 posts, read 26,536 times
I think you should be fine too. Stanz might be iffy in Larchmont but there are other restaurants right nearby too (including Chat 19).

Old 08-14-2015, 02:17 PM

858 posts, read 2,332,926 times
You won't have a problem with crowds at 11 for lunch. Enjoy your day, whatever you do! It's supposed to be gorgeous and hot this weekend! Maybe I'll see you at Harbor Island Park, enjoying the cool breezes...

Old 08-17-2015, 08:25 AM
bg7

7,695 posts, read 9,935,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norywinslow View Post
Thank you both for the suggestions!

It sounds lovely. Sadly, I think the taxi will be out, because no way am I schlepping the car seat (I know, it's 5 minutes, but still...). Any Larchmont restaurants your 2-year-old particularly enjoys?

This was pretty much my original plan. Any particularly pleasant residential areas we could stray through on our way back?
You can't play ball in Manor Park - they come chase you out! Honestly! Its just for sitting and looking.

Polpettina is a good restaurant, as is Encore, and the Indian place the name of which escapes me.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:09 AM

865 posts, read 816,488 times
Coriander is EXCELLENT for Indian food, good call bg7. Original poster - where did you end up going and what were your impressions?

Old 08-17-2015, 12:21 PM
bg7

7,695 posts, read 9,935,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Coriander is EXCELLENT for Indian food, good call bg7. Original poster - where did you end up going and what were your impressions?
Ah yes - that's it! They have some good beers too to go with the good food.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,029 times
In terms of residential areas to stroll through I would check out the area east of Boston Post Road, this area has a very east coast suburban, but not cookie cutter feel with a definite charm that you and your husband may appreciate. The houses just east of Post Rd are a bit more modest (in size at least, still expensive) and look to me like the idealistic east coast suburb (definitely what I thought having been born and raised in LA). Houses are well maintained, closer together and definitely have a bit of character...think tudor style, nice walkways, well landscaped front yards. You often see kids outside playing. As you get closer to the water the houses become bigger and more grand. This is called Larchmont Manor (I know others suggested you check this out). Many of these homes are incredibly expensive, but definitely encapsulate the history and charm that Larchmont offers, despite the steep price!

Old 08-31-2015, 03:51 PM

17 posts, read 19,422 times
Default We ended up in Larchmont...

Sorry for the delay in posting, we left town the Monday after our visit, just got back, and I did a surprisingly good job of avoiding the internet while on vacation.

We ended up in Larchmont, and our day was mostly good. It was one of those really, really hot days, which had an unfortunate impact (as did the fact my husband did not dress appropriately for the weather, despite my many mentions of the heat).

We walked down Chatsworth Ave. and had a very good lunch at Chat 19, then we walked down to Larchmont Manor Park, which was beautiful. Our son was very happy to run around in circles in the gazebo, he didn't want to leave. (The people sleeping on the benches outside the gazebo were probably not too pleased, though he was being remarkably sedate for a 2-year-old -- has to be one of the quietist parks I've ever visited!)

Then we walked up to the library and played in the children's room for a while, which was a wonderful suggestion.

Then we walked up Larchmont Ave, back to the train station, and left. Our original plan was to explore the village a bit more, but we were just too hot, so we were more destination-focused than we would've liked.

Our overall impressions? The town was a lot sleepier than we were expecting, though I imagine the heat played at least a small role in that. The village seemed to have a lot of salons. I think we both felt a little underwhelmed by the village, but my husband admits that we probably would've found it much more charming had the temperature been more stroll-able. We felt like everyone we saw was either a teenager or at least 10 years older than us (we're 39). I liked a lot of the smaller houses we saw on our way back to the train, and the big places down by the park were gorgeous. We absolutely loved the park and the library. So, it was a mixed bag. My husband seemed down on it, which really bummed me out at first -- being that this was our first suburban foray, and I'm really, really hoping we can get out of the city ASAP. But he suggested the next day that we visit again in the fall. So all hope isn't lost.

Thanks again to you all for your suggestions...I'm sure I'll be back asking for more soon.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:28 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,827,843 times
Next time you come up, I suggest you come visit Mamaroneck. Walk down the main street and go to harbor island park. The library is also on the way, which has a great childrens center. From your recent post, I think it may fit your family more than Larchmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County