Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:15 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,026,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
I respectfully and completely disagree rich. There are absolutely materialistic towns where what you say is spot on for many residents, but there are also plenty of towns and villages that have a well deserved reputation for not being materialistic. I've lived in Westchester for a decade and just in southern Westchester I'd say that Pelham, Dobbs, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, and Hastings are all examples of relatively wealthy places that have lots of non-materialistic people, even if there are some materialistic people who of course sneak in. Yes, people have to work hard to afford to live there, and education is hugely valued as evidenced by property taxes and education spending, but the vast majority of people in those towns do not make money for their "materialistic desires." They make money to give their children a good education and a good future, and not just to buy a flashy Mercedes.
^^^This. Rich's assessment is simplistic and way over the top in any case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 07:46 AM

4,762 posts, read 792,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
I respectfully and completely disagree rich. There are absolutely materialistic towns where what you say is spot on for many residents, but there are also plenty of towns and villages that have a well deserved reputation for not being materialistic. I've lived in Westchester for a decade and just in southern Westchester I'd say that Pelham, Dobbs, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, and Hastings are all examples of relatively wealthy places that have lots of non-materialistic people, even if there are some materialistic people who of course sneak in. Yes, people have to work hard to afford to live there, and education is hugely valued as evidenced by property taxes and education spending, but the vast majority of people in those towns do not make money for their "materialistic desires." They make money to give their children a good education and a good future, and not just to buy a flashy Mercedes.
I agree much more with your statement than I do with Rich's. I lived in southern Westchester (Pelham) for many years before relocating to northern Westchester. In the area of Pelham I lived in (off Lincoln Avenue, more than a full mile away from the Manor), nearly everyone I knew were hard-working, non-materialistic people, with a few of the "uppity" ones scattered about. Most were Irish-American and Italian-American families who had moved in from the Bronx, Mount Vernon or New Rochelle. Yet, upon telling anyone that I lived in Pelham, their immediate impression was "mansion, maid and Mercedes-Benz".

I find my neighbors in Somers to be much more pretentious, materialistic and full of themselves.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:25 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew in Jersey View Post
Thanks all for the rapid replies. Will definitely investigate.... Have also heard in conversation that farther north, Cold Spring could have potential.

p.s. - bmwguy, love the Shakespeare quote.
Thanks.

Do you have to commute to the city on a daily basis? If so, it can be a very long commute from an area like Cold Spring, something that your wife may not like too much if she's home with three little ones all day. Weather is also a factor in the winter, once you are north of 287 as it's usually the snow line in Westchester, with increasing snowfall into Putnam and Dutchess. From Cold Spring, the scheduled time is about 80 minutes to Grand Central, so I'd figure on about an hour and a half plus commute to the station, not far if you live within the village, plus any additional commute in Manhattan to your office if you have to go to the city daily. Driving would probably take about the same time, since traffic would build close to the city, generally in The Bronx on the Deegan, and near the GWB on the Henry Hudson Parkway.

So, the commute could play a role as to how far out you'd want to be. Croton has a less pretentious feel, and express trains to Manhattan, so living within a short distance of Croton-Harmon would offer the ability to be in the city quickly.

The Mid-Hudson Valley has towns that could meet your likes; however, the commute would be terrible if you had to go to the city during rush hour, and with heavier snow. Red Hook as mentioned above would not be a bad fit as Rhinebeck would have most of your wants, but on Amtrak it would be an hour and forty-five minutes or so to Manhattan, a marathon commute if you had to do it daily.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-18-2015, 09:54 PM

87 posts, read 228,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Thanks.

Do you have to commute to the city on a daily basis? If so, it can be a very long commute from an area like Cold Spring, something that your wife may not like too much if she's home with three little ones all day.
This is the key. I gave suggestions earlier assuming that you were targeting Westchester (and a reasonable NYC commute). If distance to NYC is no factor then Red Hook (not technically a river town) and Beacon are good bets. Cold Spring is lovely and a great place to hike, but man does it get packed on weekends.

Btw, if you'd want to relax the river town requirement even further, it doesn't get much crunchier than New Paltz.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:32 AM

49 posts, read 214,464 times
Commuting to NYC is not something we do. We merely like the proximity in terms of the cultural amenities it can lead to and the "vibe" suburbs can sometimes provide (curious-minded, aware, educated, into the arts - and hopefully also friendly).

The river towns also seem to possess wonderful physical aesthetics (rolling hills, fall foliage, charming downtowns), hence our interest in them.

Still, please feel free to suggest any other locales; this thread has been definitely helpful. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:40 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,902,912 times
I live in Hastings, and I would say while it might not be exactly "crunchy", it definitely has its share of artsy/eclectic types. For my family, this is a good thing.
There is definitely money around, but I don't find it that evident. It strikes me as the most "liberal" river town, in comparison, at least, with Dobbs and Irvington. Tarrytown is a pretty cool place, but it doesn't have the same vibe as its smaller neighbors.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:22 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,659,572 times
I agree with rich. I've lived in Croton for 4 years and before that in NW Yonkers so I took the train to the city from the Hastings station. South of Tarrytown, the trains are packed with lawyers in the mornings. I think the river towns are deceptive. They look like they should be crunchy, but they are not. (Nyack is crunchy.) People may look that way on the weekends. You need a huge salary to live there. Croton may be more liberal, but now that I've left, I can see what a boring place it really is. And right next door to Indian Point. Northern Westchester appears that it would be progressive but I think it's just that it's really beautiful. But definitely not progressive. definitely not Ithaca or Northampton.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:12 PM

49 posts, read 214,464 times
This is likely a silly question, but here goes: the recommendations on this thread here for "Hastings" - that is the same as Hastings on Hudson?

Old 08-26-2015, 10:00 AM

4,762 posts, read 792,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew in Jersey View Post
This is likely a silly question, but here goes: the recommendations on this thread here for "Hastings" - that is the same as Hastings on Hudson?
Yes. Anytime you see "on-Hudson" added to the name of any town, it is no different from the name of the same town without "on-Hudson" attached to it.

There is one very small exception: Ardsley-on-Hudson. This is simply a post office designation for zip code 10503, and it encompasses the southern part of the village of Irvington (or Irvington-on-Hudson, I should say). Ardsley-on-Hudson is not a municipality, and it has nothing to do with the village of Ardsley, which does not border the Hudson at all.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:51 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
Yes. Anytime you see "on-Hudson" added to the name of any town, it is no different from the name of the same town without "on-Hudson" attached to it.
WRONG.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastings,_New_York

I learned this the hard way when people didn't add the "-on-Hudson" to my address and my mail got sent upstate despite the zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County