Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 09:57 AM

44 posts, read 82,828 times

Advertisements

All,

I'll be taking the Metro North to White Plains and then calling for a taxi to reach my final destination. I called the taxi service and they quoted me a flat-rate fare.

Do I need to pay tips on top of the flat-rate fare or are they already included? I believe these taxis do not have meters.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 06:15 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,555,723 times
yes.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:48 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,104,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityLittleMan View Post
All,

I'll be taking the Metro North to White Plains and then calling for a taxi to reach my final destination. I called the taxi service and they quoted me a flat-rate fare.

Do I need to pay tips on top of the flat-rate fare or are they already included? I believe these taxis do not have meters.

Thanks.

Most westchester towns and cities have flat rate fare rules for trips that start and stop within the town limits. White Plains does as well. The flat rate does not include a tip. I usually add 10 - 15%, 20% if the ride was fast and the driver very friendly and safe.

Here is the zone map and pricing.
http://www.wppublicsafety.com/images...rate_chart.pdf

Old 09-28-2015, 10:16 PM

44 posts, read 82,828 times
Sorry to bump up an old thread but just wanted to ask opinions about tipping after some experiences with the taxi.

My ride is usually 6 minutes total (about 2.3 miles) and the flat-rate fare is $15. Does a $1 tip sound too little for the ride?

I'm not a taxi person but I feel the $15 flat-rate fare is quite high (even compared to NYC) so wanted to see if anyone had opinions.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:01 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,104,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityLittleMan View Post
Sorry to bump up an old thread but just wanted to ask opinions about tipping after some experiences with the taxi.

My ride is usually 6 minutes total (about 2.3 miles) and the flat-rate fare is $15. Does a $1 tip sound too little for the ride?

I'm not a taxi person but I feel the $15 flat-rate fare is quite high (even compared to NYC) so wanted to see if anyone had opinions.

Tipping is a large part of a taxi driver's wages. They do not get an hourly wage. Most taxi companies work in one of two ways. They often lease the car to the driver for a certain time slot and he has to pay that no matter how many fairs are picked up. Another way is that the dispatcher calls all fair rates and the driver and dispatcher split the fair in some way. The driver pays for his own gas and insurance. so tips are often a big part of what they make to drive. I am probably a very generous tipper, but I do think everyone should tip well, if the service deserves in.

A $15 flat rate should result in a tip of at least $1.50, and that is only if the service was very baseline. I am not talkign about bad service, like a driver who is mean, or refused to make you comfortable or take a path you suggested. In cases like that, no tip is deserved. But if its a very baseline service, not great, but certainly nothing ot complain about, 10% is a must. Even for this service I would probably give $2, I would probably give $3 if the driver is very good, waiting for me and gets me there fast and safe, keeping the car to my exact level of comfort.

As for the rate, call around and see if you can get a better rate. If its the market rate, you are probably stuck. Sorry its so much money for you, but try not to take that out on the driver.
all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County