Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 09:51 PM

64 posts, read 69,791 times

Advertisements

So, long story short, I'm currently a CT resident living in Milford. I have a big job opportunity in NYC that I'm strongly considering, but the commute from Milford would be brutal.

Since the potential pay increase is pretty substantial, I would be more than able to afford to rent a crash pad to stay at during the week as needed. I'd be looking to spend in the vicinity of $1200-$1600 a month for a studio or 1BR.

I'm thinking Westchester is ideal for me. It's away from the craziness of the city, can be a very reasonable commute, and I can keep my car with me if I have to shoot up to my house and have the freedom to get around (yeah, I'm kind of a car person).

The office is a half mile walk from GCT.

I just have a few questions:

1. I'm looking for a Metro North train commute at about 30 minutes or less. What stations offer paid parking without having to wait for a parking permit for years?

2. One concern is seating. On the New Haven line, by the time the train gets to Stamford or so - there's very little seating available at rush hour. Anyone have any experience with Westchester commutes that can chime in on the seating situation?

3. If I chose to commute by car occasionally, how bad is the West Side Highway at rush hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 12:52 PM

53 posts, read 82,990 times
West side highway can be okay after 9:30am.

My guess is your best bet is to look in New Rochelle. Try to find something within walking distance to the MNR so you don't have to park there.

I live in Hastings -- you could find a 1br for around $1500 here or in nearby Dobbs Ferry, within walking distance to the train and really nice towns. Definitely nicer than New Rochelle. But a really nice 1br is probably more like $2000.

Much of Yonkers is perfectly nice too, but you'd be paying extra income tax there... 3.6% or so

Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereLeftToGo View Post
Much of Yonkers is perfectly nice too, but you'd be paying extra income tax there... 3.6% or so
Couldn't the legal residence still be in CT?

Last edited by Stylo; 07-13-2015 at 07:47 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 06:35 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,035,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereLeftToGo View Post
West side highway can be okay after 9:30am.

My guess is your best bet is to look in New Rochelle. Try to find something within walking distance to the MNR so you don't have to park there.

I live in Hastings -- you could find a 1br for around $1500 here or in nearby Dobbs Ferry, within walking distance to the train and really nice towns. Definitely nicer than New Rochelle. But a really nice 1br is probably more like $2000.

Agreed. And you might be able to do without the car altogether.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:47 PM

53 posts, read 82,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Couldn't the legal residence still be in CT?
I'm actually not sure how exactly the Yonkers tax is computed. But if it's similar to the NYC tax, then no. NYC doesn't care if it's your primary residence, only that you "maintain" it and spend a certain minimum number of days that year in it.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:39 PM

How reliable is the train from New Rochelle?

How crowded are the trains in the AM? Are there any trains that start at New Rochelle?

Old 07-29-2015, 10:33 AM

376 posts, read 599,248 times
Mt. Vernon is a good option as well.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:48 AM

8 posts, read 13,641 times
I work about 3/4 mile from GCT and commute on Metro North+ walk it every day, commuting from Stamford. So, my situation is analogous to yours on the Manhattan end of things.

What I've found in a year+ of doing it is:
1. don't underestimate the endpoint costs -- when you get to GCT at a nonpeak time and have to wait 15 minutes for a train, that's part of the commute.
2. Expect each train to, on average, have another 5-10 minutes of delay on top of the GMaps time. The variance is quite large. The delays tend to happen most frequently near GCT or before Harlem-125, so don't think living closer will really help -- it won't.

A "35 minute commute" in reality, with any amount of walking plus the above, is a 60 minute door to door. My door to door is very reliably 90 minutes.

Manhattan in the summer is barely tolerable on foot. I commonly ride the subway to near work when it's vile outside even though it doesn't shave much time just to avoid arriving a sweaty shambles.

On the plus side, after last spring, MNR has been extremely reliable, at least on my line. Jersey and LIRR don't currently measure up.

If I had the option of getting a crash pad I'd rent a walkup studio in Harlem in a heartbeat. You just need a bed and a bathroom, right? Heck, you're the perfect roommate.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:39 PM

7 posts, read 19,307 times
New Rochelle or Yonkers, find a place close to the train station especially for the latter.

Commute will be pretty easy, and apartments relatively cheap

Old 08-17-2015, 07:45 AM

Still concerned about how crowded the trains are once boarding at New Rochelle.

I would be getting the 8:44 or 8:52. Anyone take those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County