U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 AM

33 posts, read 219,877 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My partner and I are looking to rent, or possibly buy a nice home/condo/apartment somewhere, but need some advice on where to look.

I work in Manhattan (34th and 5th) and I currently live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. My partner works in White Plains (HPN Airport) and currently lives in New Rochelle.

We want to live in a nice area that is gay friendly. Our combined income is about $180K. I love Williamsburg because of the fun restaurants, bars, and shops in the area. I also love the easy access into Manhattan. I would like to live in an area like this, but it is impractical to live together in Brooklyn because of his commute to White Plains. I don't really like New Rochelle as I feel it is not a very nice town.

Where would you suggest that we live?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 09:07 AM

490 posts, read 1,720,375 times
Why not consider White Plains itself? Perfect access to NYC, no much change for your partner, will actually be closer to work. With your income, it is possible to find something very nice there. I know a Gay couple that is been living there very happily for many years. There are bars, restaurants, movies and shopping... It is an amazing diverse city. All income levels, races and orientations living together in a close to perfect balance. White Plains' only problem is how expensive is gotten, reason why I can't live there right now.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:07 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,917,495 times
Going from Williamsburg to White Plains will be a shock to say the least.

Why not try to find something in Manhattan and do the reverse commute to White Plains on MetroNorth? (35 minutes from Grand Central on the train).

Old 01-29-2008, 09:45 PM

2,424 posts, read 5,865,737 times
I doubt you want to live in Manhattan because of the cost. You should check out downtown White Plains. You can walk to Metro-North and have a short ride to Manhattan.

Yes, it is completely different than Williamsburg. But all of Westchester County is completely different from Williamsburg.

I don't know if you would call White Plains gay friendly. But it's certainly not gay unfriendly.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:39 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,855,143 times
I'd live in White Plains...convenient to the train, and your partner.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,162 times
White Plains is a great city, lots to do and it's a great commute.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:29 AM

7 posts, read 33,844 times
What about East Harlem? It is really becoming a popular area to live - especially for people who want the excitement of the city but the affordability of the suburbs. I sense that the gay population is greater there now than in it would be in Westchester County - and numbers usually equal acceptance. However, if you and your partner have children or are planning to start a family, Westchester would be fine - its all about families here ...gay or straight parents alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County