Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 02:44 PM

222 posts, read 540,852 times

Advertisements

11k taxes on a 1100 square foot house in Peekskill 7 years ago? Doesn't sound right, it's either a lie or you're purposely leaving out a crucial piece of information, like the house/condo sit right on top of a hill with a beautiful view of the Hudson and all the surrounding houses are mansions. As for the Dobbs house, if it's 3000 square foot and only worth 650k it's in really bad shape. My guess is that if the taxes are right the house could be worth over a million if it was renovated. 3k sqft is very large in Dobbs Ferry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 03:08 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
[quote=Westchesterwannabe;41698085]11k taxes on a 1100 square foot house in Peekskill 7 years ago? Doesn't sound right, it's either a lie or you're purposely leaving out a crucial piece of information, like the house/condo sit right on top of a hill with a beautiful view of the Hudson and all the surrounding houses are mansions. As for the Dobbs house, if it's 3000 square foot and only worth 650k it's in really bad shape. My guess is that if the taxes are right the house could be worth over a million if it was renovated. 3k sqft is very large in Dobbs Ferry.[/QUOTE
It's no lie. I wrote the checks. $11,230 to be exact. Almost split evenly between school taxes and city/county.
As for my sisters house in Dobbs Ferry that's what she estimates it's worth and no it is not in bad shape. It's a 5 bedroom, 3 bath, 2 car garage in a quiet neighborhood. Again neither she nor I are real estate agents or tax assessor's. More than likely it's probably worth more I will give you that. However I do know what I paid in Peekskill !!!!. I really don't care if you believe it or not.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:19 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
[quote=Ex New Yorker;41698420]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
11k taxes on a 1100 square foot house in Peekskill 7 years ago? Doesn't sound right, it's either a lie or you're purposely leaving out a crucial piece of information, like the house/condo sit right on top of a hill with a beautiful view of the Hudson and all the surrounding houses are mansions. As for the Dobbs house, if it's 3000 square foot and only worth 650k it's in really bad shape. My guess is that if the taxes are right the house could be worth over a million if it was renovated. 3k sqft is very large in Dobbs Ferry.[/QUOTE
It's no lie. I wrote the checks. $11,230 to be exact. Almost split evenly between school taxes and city/county.
As for my sisters house in Dobbs Ferry that's what she estimates it's worth and no it is not in bad shape. It's a 5 bedroom, 3 bath, 2 car garage in a quiet neighborhood. Again neither she nor I are real estate agents or tax assessor's. More than likely it's probably worth more I will give you that. However I do know what I paid in Peekskill !!!!. I really don't care if you believe it or not.
That's about what I pay for a 3300 sq ft house in Pound Ridge. And PR ain't Peekskill. Go figure.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That's about what I pay for a 3300 sq ft house in Pound Ridge. And PR ain't Peekskill. Go figure.
Here's a house at 158 Eastwoods Rd, Pound Ridge, NY 10576 that lists for $769,000 it's property tax in 2012 was $22,415 it's 2705 sq.ft. http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...6_M39136-86598

Here's one from Peekskill at 1463 Elm St, Peekskill, NY 10566 that lists for $320,000 it's property tax for 2012 was $15,227 it's 2,400 sq.ft. http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...h/Peekskill_NY.

You can find the tax information under "property history".

Both of these homes are currently for sale. I couldn't find the figures for seven years ago. I tried to find two comparable homes regarding square footage. Obviously the size of the property also has to be taken into consideration. We had almost an acre, the one currently for sale in Peekskill has a little more than a quarter acre. But still our's was an 1100 sq. ft. 3bdr. 1bth. home. What this does indicate is that property taxes are indeed higher in Peekskill by a lot. Especially when taking into consideration that the home in Peekskill is going for $320,000 and the one in Pound Ridge $769,000. I can only imagine what the taxes would be on a $769,000 home in Peekskill, that is if there ever was one. As you've said it ain't PR. Not by a long shot. That we can agree on. My guess is that it costs a fortune to run Peekskill City Schools and public works departments. Peekskill has it's own public works departments. I really don't know if Pound Ridge does? Or does the state take care of it's streets and roads? Then there's sanitation, water, sewer etc. I don't know if they are privatized or not in Pound Ridge? Sure it's a lot cheaper for a first time homeowner to afford a home in Peekskill but the property taxes will surely make up for that especially over a 30 year mortgage. Yeah, go figure.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-26-2015 at 06:02 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 09:17 PM

866 posts, read 2,485,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose_powered View Post
We were spoiled in the city, living one block from a new Whole Foods on Houston. Doubt we'll find anything so convenient ever again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Sorry about that as I do not know the name of every single street in Manhattan. Do you? I would have at least thought that for someone who is living in Manhattan they would be very familiar with Westchester County and it's property taxes. It's not that far away. I know that if I were house hunting in a neighboring county I would have already spent a considerable amount of time there seeing for myself where I would like to live. Instead of going on line. It's not as if they are moving all the way across country such as we did. Which led me to believe that they lived in Houston, Texas and were considering a move to New York. Of course some people do confine themselves to one area. Perhaps they should get out more. Better yet inform themselves about what is going on in their own home state.
OMG you're hysterical! You don't know the name of every street in NYC? Hahahahahahah! Houston Street! It's pretty much up there with Broadway, Madison, Canal, etc... And why the heck would someone living in Manhattan know ANYTHING about Westchester property taxes BEFORE they start investigating? For most NYers, Westchester might as well be another planet. Hence why the OP is asking questions on this board...

Wow. Like I said, stick to the Arizona board.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
OMG you're hysterical! You don't know the name of every street in NYC? Hahahahahahah! Houston Street! It's pretty much up there with Broadway, Madison, Canal, etc... And why the heck would someone living in Manhattan know ANYTHING about Westchester property taxes BEFORE they start investigating? For most NYers, Westchester might as well be another planet. Hence why the OP is asking questions on this board...

Wow. Like I said, stick to the Arizona board.
For some in Westchester, NYC might as well be another planet.

Wow. I know where you can stick it! Hahahahahahah!

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-27-2015 at 08:01 AM..

Old 10-27-2015, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 10,027 times
Thank you all for the responses, this board has been both informative and entertaining.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose_powered View Post
Thank you all for the responses, this board has been both informative and entertaining.
Indeed it has! You sound like great people. Sorry, I haven't heard of Houston St. Although I've spent most of my life living in and growing up in Westchester County very little of it was in NYC. Just the usual places, and not very often, mostly when I was a kid. I wish you all the luck in your goals no matter where you choose to live.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-27-2015 at 12:07 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 12:54 PM

1,186 posts, read 966,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
On Houston-meaning, Houston street in NYC, not Houston, Texas!!!
If I saw the taxes after moving from Houston, TX, it would probably provoke tears of despair.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
If I saw the taxes after moving from Houston, TX, it would probably provoke tears of despair.
Moving from Westchester County NY to Arizona it was tears of joy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County