Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 08:12 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,733,781 times

Advertisements

reason i ask is i cannot for the life of me find a decent gym that isn't a corporate chain.

all of them are awful. Planet Fitness, Crunch, NYSC, etc. all overcrowded, overpriced or both.

back home in NJ i had the best local gym. it was 3 floors of grittiness, open 24/7/365.

there is nothing remotely similar EXCEPT for the Powerhouse in Yonkers - and that is a bit far from me here in White Plains.

anyway, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 08:22 AM

1,186 posts, read 972,202 times
I joined NYSC in Dobbs Ferry. For $20/mo I can't really complain, the place is clean, they have a decent selection of machines and the weight/cardio machines are usually not crowded, but I'm typically there in the late evening, so that may have something to do with it.

Before moving to Westchester, I went to Fitness Factory in Edgewater. It was about $10 more per month and was definitely a step up in terms of offerings from NYSC, but the crowd that frequented it completely trashed the place (see: e.g. restrooms and showers) which made it pretty miserable.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:27 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,585,598 times
There are also only 2 places in the county to get a bagel.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
I joined NYSC in Dobbs Ferry. For $20/mo I can't really complain, the place is clean, they have a decent selection of machines and the weight/cardio machines are usually not crowded, but I'm typically there in the late evening, so that may have something to do with it.

Before moving to Westchester, I went to Fitness Factory in Edgewater. It was about $10 more per month and was definitely a step up in terms of offerings from NYSC, but the crowd that frequented it completely trashed the place (see: e.g. restrooms and showers) which made it pretty miserable.
have never had a great experience at NYSC. it's OK i guess, but not really what i am looking for.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:26 PM

186 posts, read 221,025 times
If you live in white plains, its a mini Manhattan so yeah good luck on that search .. They just opened up a NYSC above the planet finetness and there is a blink by the Galleria mall ..
Only non corp gym I know is in Mt Vernon on Gramatan Avenue ..3 floors of iron

Old 10-19-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one1 View Post
If you live in white plains, its a mini Manhattan so yeah good luck on that search .. They just opened up a NYSC above the planet finetness and there is a blink by the Galleria mall ..
Only non corp gym I know is in Mt Vernon on Gramatan Avenue ..3 floors of iron
sounds good to me. i'd drive for that. where is it?

blink absolutely SUCKS. was a member there for a month.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:38 AM

53 posts, read 49,296 times
The fitness/health club industry is going through a transition from a member-based business model to a results-based model. The former is the traditional membership with initiation fees and you pretty much rent the equipment and take classes. No accountability and weak return on investment. The latter are called training gyms where the client is the heart of the business. Usually they are smaller but offer private, semi-private, small group, large group training. Depending on what your interests are, monthly fees will vary. Strong return on investment.

Unfortunately, many of these training gyms are in NYC however, there are some Gold's Gym who have converted to the training gym model located in Fishkill, Newburgh, Kingston (MacFitness).

Here are some recommendations outside of the chain gyms:
The Y
Pure Fit
Phatburn
Snapfitness (Hartsdale)

Old 10-21-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofasetic View Post
The fitness/health club industry is going through a transition from a member-based business model to a results-based model. The former is the traditional membership with initiation fees and you pretty much rent the equipment and take classes. No accountability and weak return on investment. The latter are called training gyms where the client is the heart of the business. Usually they are smaller but offer private, semi-private, small group, large group training. Depending on what your interests are, monthly fees will vary. Strong return on investment.

Unfortunately, many of these training gyms are in NYC however, there are some Gold's Gym who have converted to the training gym model located in Fishkill, Newburgh, Kingston (MacFitness).

Here are some recommendations outside of the chain gyms:
The Y
Pure Fit
Phatburn
Snapfitness (Hartsdale)
yea - none of those interest me. i am looking for a traditional gym.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:42 PM

27 posts, read 32,289 times
Traditional gyms are getting harder and harder to come by. I'm still living in the city and they're virtually non- existent, except if you go up to the BX (plenty of them there) or to the outer boroughs. Although I guess 24 fitness (i think it's called) might fit your bill. Seems everyone's into cross-fit, soul cycle, etc... these days.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:42 AM

53 posts, read 49,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori777 View Post
Traditional gyms are getting harder and harder to come by. I'm still living in the city and they're virtually non- existent, except if you go up to the BX (plenty of them there) or to the outer boroughs. Although I guess 24 fitness (i think it's called) might fit your bill. Seems everyone's into cross-fit, soul cycle, etc... these days.
Hard to come by?
Here's a list of traditional gyms that have proliferated in recent years especially in the city:
  • LAFitness
  • NYSC
  • Crunch
  • Equinox/Blink (a subsidiary of Equinox)
  • Planet Fitness
  • 24 Hour Fitness
  • Retro Fitness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County