Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 02:51 PM

988 posts, read 1,017,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8p123 View Post
That is true. I hadn't considered that some people go down. In this case however, wouldn't they presumably have some sort of serious investment income?

Not necessarily, but couples like that tend to have huge down payments saved for real estate, so they can buy homes in the very low 7 figure range without taking on a back breaking mortgage. But unless they have family money and didn't start out with student loan debt, it's very hard in 8-10 years of making 300k to 450k to amass the kind of wealth that will produce serious investment income. No one should feel sorry for them or consider them unfortunate, because they're very fortunate, but they are not swimming in money either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 10:11 AM

222 posts, read 540,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Beer I agree with your numerical breakdowns. I live in Larchmont and there are lots of young families who make 200k to 250k, and they typically live in homes costing around $800k to $1 million. They are most certainly not wealthy, but they are notably higher than middle class in terms of lifestyle.

And the number of children you have is critical in that determination. Assuming they are responsible with their money, a couple in their thirties making 200k with one child can save a lot of money for college education, take an annual European vacation, and still pay their bills. The same couple with 3 children will have a much tougher time doing that, because childcare, nursery school, braces, summer camp, etc. become several times as costly. And same deal with airfare and hotels - for roughly the same cost of a 5 person family flying to Florida and getting 2 hotel rooms, a family of 3 can go to Europe.
Not sure these numbers add up. If you make 200k you're only taking home 10k per month and this is nowhere near enough to support a 800-1 million dollar which would have a 5-6 k mortgage.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:01 PM

786 posts, read 824,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
Not sure these numbers add up. If you make 200k you're only taking home 10k per month and this is nowhere near enough to support a 800-1 million dollar which would have a 5-6 k mortgage.
Yes it is. Most banks loan out 4-5x of your gross income.

250k is the optimal amount of AGI for a 900-1m home mortgage.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:30 PM

988 posts, read 1,017,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post

Exactly. There are plenty of couples making around 250k who buy homes in the very high six figure range, and that is pretty affordable assuming you have some assets and not much other debt. Plus, in recent years there are lots of 30 something couples who sold apartments in Manhattan/Brooklyn for a hefty profit and had big down payments for their suburban home. In Larchmont alone I know of two couples who recently sold their (ridiculously overpriced) city apartments for $1.2 to $1.4 million, and bought homes in Westchester costing around $1 million. So not everyone who buys a $1 million home is taking out an $800k mortgage, and plenty are putting down upwards of 40%.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:09 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post

The poster said "making 200K" which means your AGI is more likely around 175K. So if 250K AGI is the optimal - then we're clearly in sub-optimal territory here (absent the large down payment from the NYC apartment-equity-cash-in talked about.... which actually does seem fairly common around here).

Old 01-02-2016, 07:35 AM
cp2

3 posts, read 4,825 times
What about Croton? Looking at the most recent school data, the hispanic population is increasing year by year. Have any parents noticed this trend/is it something to watch out for? I am okay with diversity, but I have a slight fear that if the trend continues, the town may change. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated

Old 01-02-2016, 09:50 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp2 View Post
What about Croton? Looking at the most recent school data, the hispanic population is increasing year by year. Have any parents noticed this trend/is it something to watch out for? I am okay with diversity, but I have a slight fear that if the trend continues, the town may change. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated
Croton is actually pretty nice. Relatively quiet, not a lot of industry. Close to everything with nice homes. It's right on the Hudson, kind of has a small town feel to it. I guess "Rockwellesque" would be a good way to describe it. Mostly middle to upper middle class. Nice parks and recreation, very little crime. I have quite a few friends that live and grew up there. I don't think they'll ever leave. I'm still in contact with them. I've never heard them complain about it. I think you're going to find the Hispanic population increasing just about everywhere in the New York metro area. They mostly gravitate towards Westchester's larger communities or cities.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-02-2016 at 10:01 AM..

Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 AM

148 posts, read 531,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metsCN View Post
Call me racist all you want. I came from Long Island, which had an abundance of white, middle class, quiet neighborhoods where you could go to 7-11 and feel like you were still in America. I haven't found anywhere even close to that in Westchester county, unless I want to pay 500k for a shack in Mamonereck. I'm talking middle class, 90-95% white with strip malls. Nothing crazy.
Anything south or around 287 is big bucks! Mamonereck is probably one of the most expensive areas in Westchester county. You can't compare towns in northern Suffolk county to this area, maybe Great Neck or Sands Point, but certainly not Smithtown. You can find a neighborhood (predominantly white) around the croton area or north which is far less expensive than Mamonereck! Westchester offers a lot, you need to search around.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,755 times
Almost have to laugh! Most of the comments have gotten away from the orginial post. This person wants to live around his "own kind" because he feels they will have the same values and beliefs as he does. Move to Norway or better Iceland. The color of ones skin has nothing to do with how you were raised or how you live the "America Dream".

Old 01-23-2016, 11:50 AM

65 posts, read 55,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINITYOF6 View Post
Almost have to laugh! Most of the comments have gotten away from the orginial post. This person wants to live around his "own kind" because he feels they will have the same values and beliefs as he does. Move to Norway or better Iceland. The color of ones skin has nothing to do with how you were raised or how you live the "America Dream".
It's true. A few years back I lived in a predominantly white middle-class neighborhood in Queens. And I've never experienced such trashy, low-class neighbors in all my life. It was like living in a trailer park.

How you behave has nothing to do with your race, so the OP should be careful about getting what he wishes for. He may end up in an all-white area with people who never seem to go to work, but spend the majority of their time (all year round, all night long) hanging out in their yards smoking, drinking, screaming, fighting, partying, etc. with nonstop screaming kids, barking dogs, and blasting music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County