Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2007, 12:00 PM

12 posts, read 48,107 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Edgemont. I am incredibly impressed with everything I've learned so far EXCEPT I have some real concerns about how well they work with kids with social issues.

My son is in 1st grade and has high functioning Asperger's. In his current school, he has a shared aide all day in class and is in a social skills group once a week. I spoke to one of the elementary school principals and he says that they don't have social skills groups in Edgemont. It also sounded like, just in general, they're not putting significant resources into social/behavioral issues. Is there anyone with current first hand knowledge of the district who can tell me how they are at handling issues like bullying or kids with poor social skills or serious personality conflicts among children?

I'm getting the feeling that they're good on special ed when it comes to learning disabilities, but not so good for things like Asperger's and other social problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 05:37 PM

137 posts, read 1,004,698 times
Is Dr. Kennedy still the principal at Seely Place? He is an excellent administrator. While they may not have a social skills group (they are a small district), my experience with Edgemont schools have been that they are very responsive to parents. Ask to speak with the sped coordinator.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:31 PM

10 posts, read 97,828 times
That's actually where I am too. I'm looking to move to Westchester, and I have a similar situation -- but my son is 8. And I have the same concern. I was leaning towards Scarsdale, but hear good things about Ardsley and autism (but wasn't sure if that was for more severe children). I would like to know how the high-functioning very academic, but socially struggling (frustration and diffiulty communicating needs, some stimming type body movements) child would manage. He is sheltered now in a private NYC school that caterers specifically to high functioning kids. I'd like to have him in a typical school environment now, but am very nervous about moving to the unknown situation. Does anyone know which Westchester school system would be best?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,352 times
Brooklynmom- I answered your other post but would recommend Ardsley. Yes, there are classed that deal with severely autistic kids, but there are also classees for high functioning kids that need help socially. I mentioned a friend in my other post who has 1 of each (1 child severely autistic, the other brilliant but with a major case of ADHD). Both have aides, one is in a mainstream class. I would suggest talking to the school and to other parents. I have no doubt that you will find a district on Westchester that caters to your sons needs. Good Luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County