U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 07:41 AM

13 posts, read 18,601 times

Advertisements

So my family of 5 will be moving to the area in the next 6 months. I have 3 children under 5 and was looking at the northern Westchester county towns. We will probably only be able to afford about $300K and we wanted something with some land, even if it is just .25-.35 acres. Obviously good schools are a must.

I will be working in and around the city. I work in construction management so I will never have a set office but it will be mostly around the city, or just outside of it. I don't mind a commute. After looking at the lower towns and seeing how expensive they are with no land, further up is great. Plus I am looking to be in the city around 7-7:30am, and will miss a lot of the traffic in the morning. I would like to keep it under 1hour 15min.

I really love Cortland Manor and Mohegan Lake areas. Seem to have good schools and be a reasonable distance from the city with transit options. Also had been looking at Brewster, Carmel, and Somers area but it seems that area may be too far away. I wold love some input on this area. Also some input on the commute from the Stormville area would also be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 08:07 AM

148 posts, read 509,562 times
I've been up in Cortlandt Manor for 15 years and it's nice, although taxes have been climbing steadily. The commute from Cortlandt station is approximately 55 mins with a minimal 2 or 3 stops during the morning rush. The schools (Lakeland) are rated good (@7) with a strong presence in PTA excellence, yet the balance between creative and academic learning could be better, alongside the dreaded common core requirement.
The town here decent, however, won't get Whole Foods type of shopping here, such as; Yorktown or Somers offers.
I probably wouldn't move here again because the culture isn't diversified enough for me, although some people don't mind this.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:33 AM

1,563 posts, read 1,410,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittney.therrien View Post
So my family of 5 will be moving to the area in the next 6 months. I have 3 children under 5 and was looking at the northern Westchester county towns. We will probably only be able to afford about $300K and we wanted something with some land, even if it is just .25-.35 acres. Obviously good schools are a must.

I will be working in and around the city. I work in construction management so I will never have a set office but it will be mostly around the city, or just outside of it. I don't mind a commute. After looking at the lower towns and seeing how expensive they are with no land, further up is great. Plus I am looking to be in the city around 7-7:30am, and will miss a lot of the traffic in the morning. I would like to keep it under 1hour 15min.

I really love Cortland Manor and Mohegan Lake areas. Seem to have good schools and be a reasonable distance from the city with transit options. Also had been looking at Brewster, Carmel, and Somers area but it seems that area may be too far away. I wold love some input on this area. Also some input on the commute from the Stormville area would also be greatly appreciated!
I think you are making the best decision. I live in Cortlandt Manor, on the border with Mohegan Lake. The area is exactly what you are looking at. Homes are often a bit more than $300,000, but you can get a nice 3 or 4 bedroom on a half acre for $325k to $350k. Sometimes you can get one cheaper, maybe one that needs a little work or updating for under $300k (maybe your construction contacts and background would help you in something like that).

My children were born up here, they attend George Washington Elementary School, part of the Lakeland Schools. The schools are nothing short of amazing. The district was just ranked in the top 100 in the state. While its not rated as high as the powerhouse schools in the south county, the taxes and home values are more attractive, and having a school ranked in the top 100 out of over 700 in the state lets you know you are in the top 10% of the state's schools.

If you need pre-school or daycare, there are a half dozen in the area I would highly recommend. My kids attended two, and we loved them both. when they started school, we dropped them off at the daycare and the bus picked them up there 30 minutes later, then dropped them off after school so we could get them at 5:30.

You are correct in that you will miss all the traffic. I work all over the area in my job, but my base is in Brooklyn, so I am down there at least twice per week. I leave my home at 6:15 am when I drive in and I am at my desk in Brooklyn by 7:30, which includes parking in the lot and walking to my office a few blocks away. At that early hour, the drive to the city is well under an hour.

My wife is from Brewster and our closest friends live in Mahopac and Carmel, which I think you are right, these areas are just a bit too far. Beautiful areas, but the commute would be worse by 15 - 20 minutes non rush hour, worse on the way home or if you ever have to do it in rush hour. I don't know anything about Stormville, sorry, but the commute would be a bit unfriendly.

Cortlandt is a town that is doing some great things. The hospital in town just got a huge financial investment in it and is now part of the New York Presbyterian system, which is world class. They are putting several million into upgrades, building new facilities and working with the town on a rezoning of the hospital area to turn it into a true health campus with lots of services. The Town's waterfront has been upgraded and now has a beautiful park, an amphitheater is going in where they have summer concerts and movie nights with fireworks. The sports are incredibel in the area if that interests your children and you. The Shrub Oak Athletic Club offers every club sport you can imagine, from baseball, softball, soccer, football, hocket, basketball, lacross and more. I coach basketball, baseball and football for my kids. The schools have very active parent teacher groups and offer great academic support. They have regula events like breakfast with moms and dads who work, so we go into school, have breakfast with the kids, then go to work late. The kids love it and you get a chance to see the kids in school. I wish you the best. If you do decide on the Cortlandt/Yorktown/Mohegan/Shrub Oak areas and have any questions, let me know. My next door neighbors are a teacher and administrator in Yorktown, my other neighbor teaches in Lakeland and we have lived here long enough to know the area pretty well.

The Town is working master plan. It has all the information you could ever want on the town and area. http://www.townofcortlandt.com/docum...p.10.19.15.pdf
Its not final yet, and needs some public imput and I am sure lots of questions and maybe changes from the Town Board, but it looks very good.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:27 AM

71 posts, read 93,680 times
You must have done your homework because the areas you indicated are exactly what you seem to be looking for, Good Luck on your move. I can't add much more to the above but I also have friends, family & clients in those areas (some of whom are teachers also). If you need anything, let us know!

Old 01-07-2016, 12:45 PM

Thank yo so much for getting back to me! My husband is a carpenter so a fixer upper doesn't scare us! It made me feel good to hear from people who are in the school systems! I have a 5, 3, and 1 year old and this is a huge move for us. It made me feel great that you said it seems like I have done my homework, makes me feel prepared.

I wonder, does the town have a "moms club"? Something to get moms together. I currently live in CT around Hartford, so NY isn't too far. We have a great Mom's Club here in town and it was so great when we first moved here and didn't know anyone 4 years ago. Thank you so much for your input! It has been very helpful!!!!

Old 01-07-2016, 04:38 PM

1,563 posts, read 1,410,895 times
We have a bunch of mom clubs on fb. I will messenger them to you, you should join. There are mom groups too.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
We have a bunch of mom clubs on fb. I will messenger them to you, you should join. There are mom groups too.
Thank you!!!!

Old 01-09-2016, 05:56 PM

814 posts, read 843,514 times
I was born and raised in Putnam/Northern Westchester area. Brewster today is a little rough but they have a train station and a Bobs Diner which is pretty cool, they had a theater as well but not sure if it still exists..

In my personal opinion Patterson New York has become a beautiful little town, quaint and country in my book, there is a Camp Herrlich which my grandfather used to be a grounds keeper, grew up on the camp for a short time as a kid.

Mahopac, Brewster, Poughkeepsie, Newburgh, just arent really nice areas, they have become old and run down.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:38 PM

103 posts, read 429,074 times
There are very active local moms group on Facebook (specifically 'Yorktown moms' that people from nearby towns participate in as well) - that's a great place to ask questions! Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County