Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 30,859 times

Advertisements

This website is very helpful. I am curious about what people mean by "snobby." Unfriendly to outsiders? Materialistic? Unfriendly to people who have less money? I'm confused because Chappaqua is described by some as "snobby." At the same time, it is described as "liberal." I know there is no way to sum up a city/town and its people in a word or two, I'm trying to get a sense of the general vibe. Are people equating wealthy with snobby? I've seen a couple of houses in Chappaqua that seem actually affordable, but community is as important to us as excellent schools (I think). We've been fortunate not to have to choose between the 2 in our current situation and are hoping to find a community with a similar vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 02:30 AM

150 posts, read 725,959 times
The village of Briarcliff Manor also has excellent schools and is a great town, full of really nice wonderful people. It's only a 40 minutes train ride on metro north, it's close to transportation, a small intimite village, with resturants, stores and shops, almost non-existent crime, just a great place to raise a family. And yes, you can find a house for the price you quoted. God luck to you!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:20 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
I live in Scarsdale and I love it. You're not in the White Plains bummy areas, you're in an upper class town with beautiful houses and classy residents. People are uptight, my family is uptight, but that's the Tri-State Area for you. 800k will buy you a nice place here. Schools are great, I'm in high school and it's a great school, the teachers are cool, the school isn't some grimy hole like in some areas, we have a nice student lounge, the school has a nice interior and exterior, etc. We're closer to the city than White Plains and Chappaqua and we're close to shopping, dining, and recreation. The town is peaceful and people are well-educated. I highly recommend it... Probably the richest town in the area and wealth is here for a reason... It's the best place in Westchester to live!

I know Bill & Hillary Clinton live in Chappaqua.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:48 PM

148 posts, read 878,511 times
If you are truly looking for all the things you mentioned, from your list I will pick Larchmont Village, it has very little diversity but it shares middle and high schools with Mamaroneck (Mamaroneck School District) and gets most of its diversity that way. In my opinion it is the only one on your list that meets all the criteria.

You should also consider looking in Mamaroneck Village or Town of Mamaroneck (as an aside, most of the homes in the town of Mamaroneck have a Larchmont postal address which can be confusing). Town of Mamaroneck/Village of Mamaroneck is very diverse socio-economically, homes on the market at the moment range from $550K to $18 million. Houlihan Lawrence Real Estate is a good website to use for an initial search.

Although a part of Rye shares a school district with the part of Mamaroneck in the town of Rye, that part of Rye is very expensive and typically homes typically start at $1.3m and above. It is also not walking distance to downtown Rye.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:53 AM

178 posts, read 667,454 times
Westchester County School Districts 2004-2005
Has your school information.
You probably want to be in the Area of Interstate 287 or South for an easy trip to NYC.
I would recommend you drive up in the evening, you could do 2 or 3 towns a night and get a feel for them. They are close together with very different personalities.

The first post was great, but
White Plains does have some great suburban areas too.
All the best!

Kevin O'Shea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County