Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 05:29 AM

151 posts, read 199,541 times

Advertisements

Hello - I'm looking to buy a co-op in the next year in Westchester and after driving all around the county I became very interested in the co-ops on Garth Road. I was wondering if anyone had familiarity with the area (ie good buildings). It seems like parking is not easy but doable. Id love to find a place with an underground garage but also have a cat - from what I've found online it seems like that may limit me. Are they really serious about no cats? Are the co-op boards a nightmare in any of the buildings? Also - any realtor recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also interested in Larchmont, Hartsdale, Tuckahoe and White Plains. Thoughts on preferences of towns and why would be helpful. I'm moving from the city and am single (although I'm in my 40s so not so into bars anymore) so I know that Whire Plains would seem to make the most sense, but I really liked the feel of the Garth Road area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 01:36 PM

414 posts, read 302,618 times
I live on Garth Road and have a cat. We like it, but are looking to move to a house.

The parking can be annoying, but it depends on what building you are in. Some have meters out front, and if you drive to work, you can park there in the evening and be out in the morning. Otherwise there is a commuter lot for $50 a month that is easy. The free parking can be a bit of a pain.

I like it fine, let me know if you have any questions.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwap_bonk View Post
I live on Garth Road and have a cat. We like it, but are looking to move to a house.

The parking can be annoying, but it depends on what building you are in. Some have meters out front, and if you drive to work, you can park there in the evening and be out in the morning. Otherwise there is a commuter lot for $50 a month that is easy. The free parking can be a bit of a pain.

I like it fine, let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you! Do you mind if I ask which building you live in? I may be asking for too much, but ideally I would like a garage because I really don't want to have to dig out a car in the snow! After living in the city for 16 years and not having a car, I don't know if I'd remember how...lol. Also, is it mostly older people in the neighborhood?

Last edited by MickeyZ; 03-10-2016 at 06:13 PM..

Old 03-11-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyZ View Post
Thank you! Do you mind if I ask which building you live in? I may be asking for too much, but ideally I would like a garage because I really don't want to have to dig out a car in the snow! After living in the city for 16 years and not having a car, I don't know if I'd remember how...lol. Also, is it mostly older people in the neighborhood?
I live in an older building with no garage. I walk to the train to commute, so it isn't an issue.

The people tend to be either older or younger, people with kids generally move out while the kids are young.

I like it fine, but there isn't much in the way of bars or restaurants. If you care about the social aspect, I think Tuckahoe would be better. Bronxville too.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:02 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,254,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwap_bonk View Post
I live in an older building with no garage. I walk to the train to commute, so it isn't an issue.

The people tend to be either older or younger, people with kids generally move out while the kids are young.

I like it fine, but there isn't much in the way of bars or restaurants. If you care about the social aspect, I think Tuckahoe would be better. Bronxville too.
I wouldn't worry about bars and restaurants. In the suburbs, people hop in their car and they travel. Within 2 miles of Garth Road there must be a couple of hundred restaurants.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:05 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,254,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyZ View Post
Hello - I'm looking to buy a co-op in the next year in Westchester and after driving all around the county I became very interested in the co-ops on Garth Road. I was wondering if anyone had familiarity with the area (ie good buildings). It seems like parking is not easy but doable. Id love to find a place with an underground garage but also have a cat - from what I've found online it seems like that may limit me. Are they really serious about no cats? Are the co-op boards a nightmare in any of the buildings? Also - any realtor recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also interested in Larchmont, Hartsdale, Tuckahoe and White Plains. Thoughts on preferences of towns and why would be helpful. I'm moving from the city and am single (although I'm in my 40s so not so into bars anymore) so I know that Whire Plains would seem to make the most sense, but I really liked the feel of the Garth Road area.
Many of the buildings on Garth Road are truly beautiful.

White Plains is great if you're under 30.

I think if you can find the right apartment for the right price on Garth Road, go for it. And I'm sure there are plenty of people with "illegal" cats.

Parking is tough. I think most buildings have waiting lists for garages. Some have zero parking. Ask your realtor.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I wouldn't worry about bars and restaurants. In the suburbs, people hop in their car and they travel. Within 2 miles of Garth Road there must be a couple of hundred restaurants.
That's true, there are tons of restaurants. But like OP, I used to live in the city, and I liked being able to walk to the bar without worrying about driving. That being said, it's easy to use MetroNorth like the subway and take it to Tuckahoe/Bronxville.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:23 PM

4 posts, read 8,299 times
Avoid Scarsdale manor. The fined you 50$ if your kids go on the lawn or make any noise. They are also running out of money as maintenance charges go up all the time. There are broken windows and stuff breaking. Not get fixed. The also devalue you investment by putting large, noises gas things in front of apartments. When you complain about it, they ignore you. My apartment value is down, no compensation. Parking is 10+ year weight.

The elevators break down all the time. Never get fixed properly. People on board do not seem to have a clue. They are run by old people who make it hard to sell or rent unless you no them. They making buyers wait and dragging them threw the dirt. If you want to rent, it depends who you are. If you have a friend, ok. If not, and you can't afford the maintenance, you could lose your apartment. Stay away.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manorresident View Post
Avoid Scarsdale manor. The fined you 50$ if your kids go on the lawn or make any noise. They are also running out of money as maintenance charges go up all the time. There are broken windows and stuff breaking. Not get fixed. The also devalue you investment by putting large, noises gas things in front of apartments. When you complain about it, they ignore you. My apartment value is down, no compensation. Parking is 10+ year weight.

The elevators break down all the time. Never get fixed properly. People on board do not seem to have a clue. They are run by old people who make it hard to sell or rent unless you no them. They making buyers wait and dragging them threw the dirt. If you want to rent, it depends who you are. If you have a friend, ok. If not, and you can't afford the maintenance, you could lose your apartment. Stay away.
Thanks for the info. Right now the building I'm most interested in on Garth Road is Garth Essex. If anyone has info on that building(s), that would be great.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,475 times
The information on Scarsdale Manor is incorrect. Children are not fined $50--they're parents are. Children were playing on the lawn and turning it brown. As such, the board was required to take action. Because parents were not controlling their children, the board decided to enforce the rules themselves. As a result, any resident with a camera can take pictures of offenders and email them to the management company. This will ensure that the rules are enforced.

Prospective buyers should be aware that well behaved children are welcomed at Scarsdale Manor. If the kids make too much noise, the board will take action to ensure that the rules are enforced. Noisy children do not belong win apartment buildings. The goal of the board is to ensure the safety and comfort of its residents. Loud noises upset the older residents and will not be tolerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County