Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:09 AM

6 posts, read 38,865 times

Advertisements

Hi - I recently moved to New York and I currently rent in Tarrytown. I am starting my search to purchase a home. School district isn't important (right now) as I probably won't have kids for another 5 years. However, being able to sell my home when I want to move IS important. I travel to Long Island several days a week so I think I need to live in lower Westchester. I LOVE Tarrytown but can't afford the taxes in the Rivertowns. (Looking to keep taxes under $13,000) - any advice is welcomed. Looked at a house in Port Chester - a nicer part of Port Chester - but worried about resale.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 11:26 AM

28 posts, read 111,633 times
Hi,

I had no idea the taxes were so much. How do decent hard working people live there? I will be moving to that area soon. It seems the housing is out of my league. Yikes. I already accepted the position.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:44 PM

I ask myself the same question.

Let me clarify where in Port Chester I am looking - it is the part the boarders Rye Brook but in Port Chester

Old 02-12-2008, 06:20 PM

142 posts, read 961,189 times
There are different parts of Port Chester that border Rye Brook- some more desirable than others. Problem with Port Chester is there are soooooooo many homes for sale there and taxes are not cheap? I am suprised you found a single family home w taxes under 13k. Resale might be tough due to the schools, BUT some believe Port Chester is going to be the up and coming place. It really is very safe and probably the most convenient place in Westchester to live. You can virtually anywhere in 15-20 minutes. You will get more for your money- but may be risky with resale.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:52 AM

490 posts, read 1,787,766 times
Portchester should be a very attractive area for newly weds and people that work along the New Heaven Metro North line (in Places like Greenwich, Stamford and NYC). Geographically, you can't go wrong. But the taxes are very high and that alone will hurt resale value a bit. I don't think the schools are much of a factor because they may not be the best, but they are for sure not the worst. I think it will come down to finding the right deal - you need to make sure you do not overpay for a property if you do decide to buy there. Portchester has seen a great improvement in the last 8 years and I think is not stopping, it will continue to get better.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:47 PM

6 posts, read 39,212 times
I have lived in PC all my life. We love it here, all of my children are in or graduated from the public schools. Great family town, lots to do. I have a big house totally redone
top to bottom, I border Rye Brook & Greenwich. What are you looking for in a house
and what is your price range?

Old 02-17-2008, 11:37 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,165 times
Default It's a good town

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnsweetz View Post
Looked at a house in Port Chester - a nicer part of Port Chester - but worried about resale.

Thanks
I lived in Port Chester for about 10 years, and may move back there.

The one thing I always keep in mind is the fact that it is surrounded by Greenwich, Harrison, Rye, Puchase...It's smack-dab in the middle of some of the best towns in America. Who knows?...If we get out of this economic slump, maybe the old town will pick up in value.

I now some successful people that are now in college, or recently graduated college - They went to the PC Schools, and did fine for themselves. A few got into some really good colleges.

I never had a problem (with crime) in PC, and I walked to and around downtown at night quite often. (Up until I moved about 4 years ago)

Right now, it's a buyers market there - I imagine if you make a wild offer, someone may take it. Like someone else said on this post, there are a lot of houses on the market.

And, another thing I would like to add - And, I am not making a political statement here about the illegal immigrants....But, with all the focus on the Hispanic (or Latino) population in the USA, I cannot understand why a place like the main street in Port Chester is not shown in the media as a good example of positive contributions by that group...I think all the business owners (many of which are Hispanic/Latinos) do a great job of keeping it beautiful.

It's not Rye or Greenwich, but it certainly has a lot of character, and it is a nice place, with nice restaurants grouped on the 3 or 4 center streets.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 14,381 times
Default Port Chester

Since I grew up in Port Chester, I might be bias, but you can get a great deal on homes now. Most have dropped under $550,00. - typical R.E. taxes are under $10,000. for fixer-upper.- Sure we all would like a new home but the homes they build today lack the quality and charm of a older one. My house is 80 years young, (25years we are in it) and you can't get a plaster wall home any more with out paying through the nose. Both myself and wife are products of P.C. School system and feel the represent the whole
community well.No matter where you go the taxes will get you.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:27 PM

OK, so I have put off buying in Port Chester - but it seems like this is such a great time to buy. I am still worried about a few things.

1) There is a possibility I may not be able to stay in New York for a long time - Is Port Chester considered up and coming or is it not going anywhere fast

2) I have heard mixed things as far as the schools is Port Chester - how is Park Ave School?

3) If I did have to leave and this wasn't a long term buy – how’s the rental market in Port Chester. The house I am looking at fairly pricey if I couldn't sell it I would need to rent it for $4,000/month - Is that going to be impossible?

Old 04-21-2008, 03:05 PM

142 posts, read 961,189 times
You will definitely not get $4000 a month for ANY home in Port Chester and esp not if it is zoned for Park Avenue. Your resale will be much better if you are in King Street School. About 90% of Park Avenue students are Hispanic and Spanish speakers. The only area in Port Chester that may get more than 2500-3k for a rental would be in King Street school area. There are more families in that area- willing to pay that kind of rent. Having gone to Port Chester public schools for a few years in the 80's- things are really different there now. I still think it is a very safe place and has some beautiful neighborhoods. Lots of people buy homes there and send their kids to private school, but since taxes are getting pretty high- there are loads of homes for sale there. I do know several people who bought in PC and are very happy. You can buy a beautiful home there for in the 500's and 600's- which means- schools are not going to be the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County