Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 05:36 PM

187 posts, read 450,305 times

Advertisements

I want to put my savings to us and I am thinking of buying a 1br condo in Westchester country within walking distance to the Metro North stop as investment (to rent out). My budget is up to 350K.

I looked online at some properties in White Plains, Bronxville and New Rochelle on Zillow and do see some 1br condos in this price range. Any other towns I should consider?

I am planning to put 40% and take a mortgage for the remainder.

Would appreciate any advice in terms finding the right place, engaging a broker to rent it out (since I don't have time to deal with it myself), etc.. I have never invested in real estate. The only purchase I ever made was my own primary residence.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 11:22 AM

71 posts, read 104,611 times
May I recommend that you look into a house? For that price it would be a better investment.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Saraceno View Post
May I recommend that you look into a house? For that price it would be a better investment.
Won't the house (in a good condition) cost more than an apartment? Where would you recommend I buy a house for this price range?

Old 03-28-2016, 03:19 PM

71 posts, read 104,611 times
For example, 51 Laurel Place, Yonkers, NY 10704 - Listing #: 4607638
If you can't see that, just google 51 Laurel Pl, Yonkers.

I love investment properties, you can't go wrong (usually!). The problems I have with coops/condos as investment properties are you sometimes don't have as much control, since you have to deal with boards and other peoples regulations. I'd always recommend a single or multi-family property to maximize your investment.

In the above example, say you can get the above house for $325K and still put down 40% your estimated monthly payment would be - less then 1500/month (no PMI, but including taxes and insurance, excluding maintenance). You can certainly make a profit and get a nice deduction. :-)

Old 03-28-2016, 05:25 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNYC View Post
I want to put my savings to us and I am thinking of buying a 1br condo in Westchester country within walking distance to the Metro North stop as investment (to rent out). My budget is up to 350K.

I looked online at some properties in White Plains, Bronxville and New Rochelle on Zillow and do see some 1br condos in this price range. Any other towns I should consider?

I am planning to put 40% and take a mortgage for the remainder.

Would appreciate any advice in terms finding the right place, engaging a broker to rent it out (since I don't have time to deal with it myself), etc.. I have never invested in real estate. The only purchase I ever made was my own primary residence.

Thanks
Advice = buying not buing...

Old 03-28-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Advice = buying not buing...
I can no loner edit the topic. Thanks for helping with the spellcheck. If you find any other typos please let me know.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:20 PM

7 posts, read 8,315 times
Make sure the condo you are buying is sublet friendly with no exorbitant fees.

I prefer multi family homes especially if you have a large down payment.

Never look at coops for investment purposes.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:21 AM

454 posts, read 763,628 times
Mount Vernon is going to re-do a run down area near Mt. Vernon West train station. It's not very nice now, but you might get a jump on it by buying something in the area. I believe there are 2 family homes all over that area.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:41 AM

374 posts, read 1,058,762 times
Never look at coops for investment purposes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County