Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 08:24 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usonian View Post
My taxes are going up 25%. My home is currently on the market partly because of my insane property taxes.

Quite fed up with Westchester's property taxes especially considering other similar communities with good school systems in the Northeast pay a fraction of our taxes.

Here's my question: what's this land value business? It's not as if the land has any tangible value. I can't legally subdivide my land and sell it to a developer. What's the logic in having the homeowner with a 1 acre parcel pay quite a bit more than a homeowner with a 1/2 acre, if they both have say a 2000 square foot house assessed at $800,000.

It's not as if the homeowner with a bigger backyard is using more services, sanitation, roads, school etc...

I've never understood this. Probably because I'm not supposed to.
I could never figure that out either. I guess because they figure that the more you own the more they can take or are entitled to. We were paying around $12,000 a year in of all places Peekskill back in 2010 for an 1100 sq. ft home on a little less than 3/4 of an acre. One of my neighbors had a home twice as large that was on 1/2 acre and paid around $8,000. Their home sold for about $75,000 more than ours. Our's was a 3 bedroom 1 bath, theirs a 4 bedroom 2 bath.

Out here in the great southwest, we have a 2000 sq. ft. home 3 bedroom 2 bath plus family room and 3 car garage. Our old kitchen, dining room and living room back east could fit in our living room in the home we have out here. We're now in a neighborhood that is similar to Westchester's Briarcliff Manor. Our annual property taxes are a little over $1,600 a year, that's SIXTEEN HUNDRED A YEAR!

I'm getting phone calls from old friends who at one time thought we were crazy to leave all of our friends, family and everything we were familiar with just to get out of that God awful place. They too want to get the hell out.

Our quality of life has improved tremendously. We can now afford to buy things that we want and not just out of necessity. Instead of involuntarily donating it into the giant cesspool of corruption which is the state and local governments of the State of New York. If you make under $100,000 a year they are squeezing the economic life and stability out of you. It's not living, it's existing. And they keep demanding MORE. Yet the good people of New York keep on electing these loathsome swines. More taker's than maker's I guess. Hopefully all of the maker's will one day leave and the taker's will be left to wallow in the bed of their own making.

Once you get out of there a tremendous burden will be lifted off of your shoulders. You can wake up every morning happy as a pig in poop knowing that you are free at last. I try to encourage as many people as I can to get out of there as long as they do not try to change the place they move to into the place they just left. Otherwise they have no business moving at all.

Good luck in your move, it's a great big wonderful country outside of New York especially it's metropolitan area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 07:56 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Keep voting for Paul Feiner for having run Greenburgh like Captain Smith ran the Titanic. At least Smith had the decency to go down with the ship.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/loca...ting/82595332/

Foreclosure city, here you come!

Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Keep voting for Paul Feiner for having run Greenburgh like Captain Smith ran the Titanic. At least Smith had the decency to go down with the ship.

Irvington residents ready to fight reassessment

Foreclosure city, here you come!
I grew up in Irvington as did three generations of my family. So did my wife. We still have friends and family that live back there. It used to be predominantly middle class. At the time both Ardsley and Matthiessen Parks were considered the wealthy sections of Irvington. My God how things have changed when developers came in and put up all of those million dollar homes. A lot of the homes in Spiro Park are not exactly mansions occupied by wealthy people. Many of the residents have lived there and bought those homes at a time when Irvington was not like it is today. How in the hell are they gonna' be expected to come up with that kind of money? Let alone sell their homes? Not only that why should they be involuntarily forced out of them by an out of control "progressive" government? Of which Feiner is one of.

My father used to say that the only thing that Greenburgh provided to the Village of Irvington was voting machines on election day. Irvington has it's own police and public works departments along with a volunteer fire department and it's own public schools.

The worst part about property taxes is that they are not based on an individuals ability to pay. You can buy a home when it was once affordable and once the mortgage is paid off the property taxes are more than what the mortgage payment was. This usually comes at a time when people are thinking of retirement and are on reduced incomes. Many do not want to leave their children or grand children behind. For some reason or the other New York's state and local governments consider peoples homes to be a measure of an individuals wealth. What they don't realize is that even as home values go up the home is not a piggy bank that the owner can just take money out of to keep up with the astronomical cost of living there. Which is caused by and large by the public employee's and teacher's union's of which the New York State legislature is beholden to and paid for by.

Liberals caring about the middle class? What a line of crap. All they care about are public union members who are their core constituency along with those who live off of the labor of others. When are the people going to finally wake up and realize that they are nothing more than an ATM for these groups of people and the government monopoly that supports them?

I've been getting phone calls from our friends back east telling us how lucky we are to have gotten out of that whole rotten structure. Many are putting their homes up for sale and we soon may have a lot of company.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 04-10-2016 at 11:03 AM..

Old 04-10-2016, 12:37 PM

35 posts, read 56,806 times
We are in Tarrytown, and our assessment is higher than the amount I think we would be able to get for our house, if we were to sell it today. A confusing aspect of the assessment is that they don't have the correct acreage for our property. (We definitely have 1/3 of an acre but they say we have .14 acres). I'm assuming that if we point this out, we will be taxed even more, but does anyone know if there could be any harm in not telling them that they have the wrong figure???

Old 04-11-2016, 10:47 PM

4 posts, read 5,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Good luck in your move, it's a great big wonderful country outside of New York especially it's metropolitan area.
I know, I spend hours on Zillow looking at property in other cities and marveling at the prices and taxes. Unfortunately, my elderly parents don't want to leave the area, the rest of the family is all in NYC, not to mention their doctors etc. So we're looking at houses with taxes at the merely ridiculous level rather than at the insane level.

I read an interview with Paul Feiner where he said Village residents aren't prepared to accept consolidation of services that come with lower property taxes. I certainly am. Where do I sign up??

We need a movement in the area to address this, a tea-party wave without all the associated baggage.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usonian View Post
I know, I spend hours on Zillow looking at property in other cities and marveling at the prices and taxes. Unfortunately, my elderly parents don't want to leave the area, the rest of the family is all in NYC, not to mention their doctors etc. So we're looking at houses with taxes at the merely ridiculous level rather than at the insane level.

I read an interview with Paul Feiner where he said Village residents aren't prepared to accept consolidation of services that come with lower property taxes. I certainly am. Where do I sign up??

We need a movement in the area to address this, a tea-party wave without all the associated baggage.
Indeed you do! Too bad you can't all stand up and say: "Hell no we aren't gonna' take it anymore". And refuse to pay those exorbitant taxes let alone the astronomical increases. Then what would they do? Foreclose on everyone? Put a lien on everyone's property? That could drag on for decades and at what cost?

There is strength in numbers. Probably the most practical way to start is in the voting booth by throwing all of those detestable swines out of office. But that will take an enormous amount of effort as the "taker's" are outnumbering the "maker's". And as long as there's one party rule that caters to the "taker's". Chances of that happening are slim to none. Especially in a state like New York.

I hope that one day you can leave that God awful place such as we did as that is the only viable solution. I can tell you one thing from our own personal experience: The grass is indeed greener on the other side. It is unbelievable how much our quality of life has improved since getting out of there. What's even more unbelievable is that we have the same wonderful services that New Yorker's love to brag about to justify their outrageous cost of living.

All of our old friend's and family are still out there too. Along with my mother who is elderly. However they too are planning on leaving. My sister is headed for Florida taking my mother with her. My brother is biding his time, and calls all the time asking for advise about leaving. He's just got to get his ass in gear and do something about it. We came to the conclusion that it was our life we had to live and could not let others anchor us down in a place that we hated.

Again I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do!

Old 04-17-2016, 08:52 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
Quote:
I could never figure that out either. I guess because they figure that the more you own the more they can take or are entitled to. We were paying around $12,000 a year in of all places Peekskill back in 2010 for an 1100 sq. ft home on a little less than 3/4 of an acre. One of my neighbors had a home twice as large that was on 1/2 acre and paid around $8,000. Their home sold for about $75,000 more than ours. Our's was a 3 bedroom 1 bath, theirs a 4 bedroom 2 bath.

Out here in the great southwest, we have a 2000 sq. ft. home 3 bedroom 2 bath plus family room and 3 car garage. Our old kitchen, dining room and living room back east could fit in our living room in the home we have out here. We're now in a neighborhood that is similar to Westchester's Briarcliff Manor. Our annual property taxes are a little over $1,600 a year, that's SIXTEEN HUNDRED A YEAR!

I'm getting phone calls from old friends who at one time thought we were crazy to leave all of our friends, family and everything we were familiar with just to get out of that God awful place. They too want to get the hell out.

Our quality of life has improved tremendously. We can now afford to buy things that we want and not just out of necessity. Instead of involuntarily donating it into the giant cesspool of corruption which is the state and local governments of the State of New York. If you make under $100,000 a year they are squeezing the economic life and stability out of you. It's not living, it's existing. And they keep demanding MORE. Yet the good people of New York keep on electing these loathsome swines. More taker's than maker's I guess. Hopefully all of the maker's will one day leave and the taker's will be left to wallow in the bed of their own making.

Once you get out of there a tremendous burden will be lifted off of your shoulders. You can wake up every morning happy as a pig in poop knowing that you are free at last. I try to encourage as many people as I can to get out of there as long as they do not try to change the place they move to into the place they just left. Otherwise they have no business moving at all.

YAWN! He's been posting the same thing for the last five years. He must miss New York.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:54 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
Quote:

YAWN! He's been posting the same thing for the last five years. He must miss New York. And downtown Peekskill is vibrant and doing great. A lot better then strip mall in AZ.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:53 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
YAWN! He's been posting the same thing for the last five years. He must miss New York. And downtown Peekskill is vibrant and doing great. A lot better then strip mall in AZ.
Sarcasm is always welcome. People don't move to Westchester County, NY to live their dream in Peekskill...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County