Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 PM

12 posts, read 29,157 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

I am originally from Westchester County (Mt. Kisco) and although I now live in Chicago (where I have no roots), I am considering moving back to the area. I work for a consulting firm, which enables me to be based anywhere I want to live so long as I am willing to travel. But after eight years in Chicago, I'm ready for a change in scenery, and weekends in Westchester would be nice.

I have visited the area several times a year for over a decade, so I'm familiar with it's "feel" and geography, but am hoping for some feedback from those who are much more familiar with the area.

I'm single, and schools are not a consideration -- just the quality of the community, amenties (mainly nearby coffee shops and delis -- I love N.Y. delis).

Here are my questions:

1) Where would be the best places to live with easy access to Westchester Co. Airport for < $1500.00? Is LGA perhaps a better option, considering that I would most likely be shuttling back and forth to Chicago on a weekly basis?
2) How is nightlife in the White Plains area?
3) Any areas to be avoided?
4) Any other pointers to living in Westchester in terms of people, culture, dining, etc?

Thanks in advance for any feedback... it's much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 11:43 AM

490 posts, read 1,788,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by es466 View Post
Hello all:

I am originally from Westchester County (Mt. Kisco) and although I now live in Chicago (where I have no roots), I am considering moving back to the area. I work for a consulting firm, which enables me to be based anywhere I want to live so long as I am willing to travel. But after eight years in Chicago, I'm ready for a change in scenery, and weekends in Westchester would be nice.

I have visited the area several times a year for over a decade, so I'm familiar with it's "feel" and geography, but am hoping for some feedback from those who are much more familiar with the area.

I'm single, and schools are not a consideration -- just the quality of the community, amenties (mainly nearby coffee shops and delis -- I love N.Y. delis).

Here are my questions:

1) Where would be the best places to live with easy access to Westchester Co. Airport for < $1500.00? Is LGA perhaps a better option, considering that I would most likely be shuttling back and forth to Chicago on a weekly basis?
2) How is nightlife in the White Plains area?
3) Any areas to be avoided?
4) Any other pointers to living in Westchester in terms of people, culture, dining, etc?

Thanks in advance for any feedback... it's much appreciated!
________
Hi ES466,
I am glad to hear that you are considering coming back to WC, my fav place to live.

WC has much to offer but as you know it is quite expensive. But at 1500/month I am sure you'll have options.

To be near WC airport for 1500, Portchester should be on your list. It is a diverse town with its own Metro North (New Heaven line) stop. It is convenient to both WC airport and LGA. WC offers plenty of flights to Chicago so going to LGA can be avoided most of the time.

The nightlife in the White Plains area has gotten pretty good. There are plenty of bars and even a nightclub or two. Dinning choices are too numerous-most great. WP has seen a huge change in the last few years. Lots to do there for a single person. Rents, however, are quite expensive. Don't be surprised of not getting much for 1500.

If you stick to either WP or Portchester you should be fine. The best would be to work with a broker that can target areas to your specification. WP has a couple of shady areas around the train and near Post Road that I'd avoid. I am sure other members will tell you about Portchester, I personally don't know the bad areas, it seems all good to me.

Good luck relocating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: