U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 03:59 PM

5 posts, read 11,485 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move near Scarsdale where he will soon be working. I work in NYC so we need to be near a train. We've narrowed our search down to Hartsdate and Eastchester (either near the Crestwood station or Tuckahoe). Of these three areas, which would you recommend? We don't need to consider schools for several years (we plan to rent for a year or two before we buy a house and we don't have children yet) so the school district doesn't matter to us now. We're looking for a friendly community, at least a small contingent of politically liberal, down-to-earth people, and a pretty and walkable downtown/village area. Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 07:33 PM

12,270 posts, read 10,736,642 times
Eastchester. It's small, friendly and it has this Lake Isle Country Club - Tennis, Pool, Catering, Golf - Westchester NY

Old 04-20-2016, 04:52 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,151,187 times
Bronxville Village or Mamaroneck.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:27 AM

50 posts, read 93,905 times
Eastchester has a nice shopping district. The schools are good too. The principal from our Elementary school in White Plains transferred to Eastchester and he was a very good principal.

Bronxville is a great choice- there's some availability of rentals and an excellent community. Access to train and NYC is excellent. Schools, the same.

Both good choices.

Hartsdale is decent but I don't know about the Greenburgh school district, which is what I think it falls under. Also many rentals available there as well.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:22 AM

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

There also seem to be some nice, affordable rentals on the Yonkers/Bronxville border, but I worry this area won't have the small-town charm of Eastchester or Hartsdale.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:07 AM

62 posts, read 78,136 times
Hartsdale sounds up your alley. Many of your requirements are the same ones my wife and I had.

We own a coop on E Hartsdale that we LOVE. Only a five minute walk to the train and the village. We have dinner in the village every Friday and breakfast every Sunday. Lots of great shops. We walk our dog on the Bronx River Path (entrance near the train) every weekend. The residents are very diverse. Lots of White, Asian and Latino. Politically, I've met many Liberals. It really is a fun place to live. We have zero regrets and come from a really great neighborhood in NYC.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:58 AM

71 posts, read 93,637 times
I also recommend E Hartsdale Ave.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:10 PM

Thank you for the feedback! We're looking at an apartment on E. Hartsdale Ave and a few in Eastchester this weekend so I am hoping to get a better sense of which location would be best.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:17 PM

Another question -- what is the parking situation on E. Hartsdale Ave? Is on street parking difficult to find?

Old 04-21-2016, 06:29 AM

71 posts, read 93,637 times
Hartsdale Public Parking District
This should answer most of your questions.

I'm in this area a lot for work (all times of the day) and I can almost always find a meter spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County