U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2016, 11:11 AM
 
70 posts, read 59,453 times
Reputation: 66

Advertisements

Hi

Looking for help/info for upcoming trip to NYC July 4th weekend for a wedding....Goin to NYC mid morning Sat July 2nd, coming back late afternoon Mon July 4th

We area party of 4 coming from western CT to go to NYC for the wedding. Amtrack from central CT will cost almost 280.00 for the 4 of us, although the parking will be free. Plus its looking to be not all train??? Possible switch to a bus? And its a definite switch in New Haven.

Looking for an alternative plan as we dont mind driving part of the trip into perhaps Brewster. Looking @ the website though, still left with some questions...plus the "trip planner" has a glitch & wont let me pick July 2nd as depart day...UGH!! But it looks as though the Harlem Line (now called Southeast) is a straight trip into NYC????

Looks as though there is "free parking"? are there 2 train station & parking ? Brewster & Southeast? If so, are they both easy & sure to get a parking spot without filling up? Are they both safe to leave a car unattended for a weekend? Should we drive the older unappealing SUV (no A/C its summer!!) vs the new car that has the A/C?

Whats with the parking @ the church for $5.00 & the reported ticket happy police @ the train station? $50.00 if you "back into a spot" plus numerous other "violations" Of course I am reading this on the web, so no clue if any of this is true?

Because of the glitch on the trip planner web site, I have no idea the pricing for per person round trip...Being that it is a "holiday weekend" I dont know if any of our travel times will be considered "peak"...

Any help would be so much appreciated!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2016, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Lower Hudson Valley, NY
313 posts, read 995,308 times
Reputation: 316
The church is First Baptist in Brewster. I would call them. I get the impression that they have given commuters a great deal as the lot seems pretty full during the week. But since it's a weekend I am not sure if the church has parking as they would need the lot for parishioners.

I also don't know about longer term parking at either lot. Your car would be pretty safe. For reasons I don't know, you can't back into the metered spots at Brewster. I am not sure why but I used to park there often and while you have to use caution backing out into the road, it's not a big deal.

Ideally, if someone can drive you to either Brewster or Southeast I think that would be the way to go. It is a direct route to the city. You would be traveling off peak and while I don't know what it would cost it would be way less than Amtrak.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 07:56 AM
 
1,156 posts, read 1,134,772 times
Reputation: 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by allybunnie View Post
Hi

Looking for help/info for upcoming trip to NYC July 4th weekend for a wedding....Goin to NYC mid morning Sat July 2nd, coming back late afternoon Mon July 4th

We area party of 4 coming from western CT to go to NYC for the wedding. Amtrack from central CT will cost almost 280.00 for the 4 of us, although the parking will be free. Plus its looking to be not all train??? Possible switch to a bus? And its a definite switch in New Haven.

Looking for an alternative plan as we dont mind driving part of the trip into perhaps Brewster. Looking @ the website though, still left with some questions...plus the "trip planner" has a glitch & wont let me pick July 2nd as depart day...UGH!! But it looks as though the Harlem Line (now called Southeast) is a straight trip into NYC????

Looks as though there is "free parking"? are there 2 train station & parking ? Brewster & Southeast? If so, are they both easy & sure to get a parking spot without filling up? Are they both safe to leave a car unattended for a weekend? Should we drive the older unappealing SUV (no A/C its summer!!) vs the new car that has the A/C?

Whats with the parking @ the church for $5.00 & the reported ticket happy police @ the train station? $50.00 if you "back into a spot" plus numerous other "violations" Of course I am reading this on the web, so no clue if any of this is true?

Because of the glitch on the trip planner web site, I have no idea the pricing for per person round trip...Being that it is a "holiday weekend" I dont know if any of our travel times will be considered "peak"...

Any help would be so much appreciated!!!
If you are willing to drive to Brewster, why not drive to Danbury? Danbury has a weekend lot that is large and safe. Sorry I can't help with BRewster, but thought maybe there was another option for you. Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 06:43 PM
 
70 posts, read 59,453 times
Reputation: 66
Thanx for the idea...we will keep Danbury in mind, although it looks like we have to switch trains in South Norwalk....I think Brewster is off the Harlem line with no transfers???? Price is right though!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2016, 09:08 AM
 
185 posts, read 384,998 times
Reputation: 295
You might think this is crazy, but my suggestion would be to research long term parking in Manhattan and just driving in. I have a family of 4 and went into NYC for 4th of July weekend this past year (staycation) I live in Westchester county(not too far from Brewster) and the cost of round trip train fares, station parking, etc. adds up BIG TIME. In my case I did take the train that weekend, but I often just choose to drive in and park. If you look for lots in the high 70's or 80's, west side(more residential), you can drive in and out pretty quickly and leave when you want. Once you get out of Manhattan proper, it won't be too bad of a drive, and you are going in reverse on the 4th(most people will be driving in)

I don't know where in CT you are located, but there are a lot of inexpensive bus options from Hartford. And I agree with the above poster regarding Danbury - much more preferable to Brewster, and switching if necessary is easy, especially on a weekend.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2016, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Lower Hudson Valley, NY
313 posts, read 995,308 times
Reputation: 316
I took Metro North to the city from Southeast today- first time I have left from there in a very long time. It's a large lot and they do have metered long term parking. Unfortunately I can't give details about cost but thought I'd throw it out there. The Southeast station is right after Brewster and right off I-84.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2016, 05:29 AM
 
70 posts, read 59,453 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen824 View Post
You might think this is crazy, but my suggestion would be to research long term parking in Manhattan and just driving in. I have a family of 4 and went into NYC for 4th of July weekend this past year (staycation) I live in Westchester county(not too far from Brewster) and the cost of round trip train fares, station parking, etc. adds up BIG TIME. In my case I did take the train that weekend, but I often just choose to drive in and park. If you look for lots in the high 70's or 80's, west side(more residential), you can drive in and out pretty quickly and leave when you want. Once you get out of Manhattan proper, it won't be too bad of a drive, and you are going in reverse on the 4th(most people will be driving in)

I don't know where in CT you are located, but there are a lot of inexpensive bus options from Hartford. And I agree with the above poster regarding Danbury - much more preferable to Brewster, and switching if necessary is easy, especially on a weekend.
I appreciate the info - IMO parking in Manhattan is out - drove into the city once - prefer not to again...bus from Hartford is about 40.00 p/p...plus 15 - 20 p/day to park - meh....45 min for us to drive to HTFD - rather drive 90 min to Brewster I'm thinking...just curious why your thoughts on Danbury being more preferable to Brewster - the schedule from Brewster shows trains leave approx every hour both coming & going, its a shorter train ride, & we dont have to switch trains...Danbury shows limited outbound & inbound times...Brewster station is only about 10 - 15 min beyond Danbury...is there something else I am missing on the benefits of Danbury over Brewster?

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2016, 05:32 AM
 
70 posts, read 59,453 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
I took Metro North to the city from Southeast today- first time I have left from there in a very long time. It's a large lot and they do have metered long term parking. Unfortunately I can't give details about cost but thought I'd throw it out there. The Southeast station is right after Brewster and right off I-84.
Good to know....cost weekend & holidays looks to be about 28.00 p/p round trip.....parking is free on weekends & holidays
I'm assuming the trip was event/stress free???
Thanx!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2016, 12:58 PM
 
56 posts, read 60,468 times
Reputation: 54
There is a way less complicated solution: Drive to New Rochelle on I95, get off at North Av, make a left, pass Main Street and just south of Bonnefoy Pl/Prospect Avenue you have pleanty of free parking over the weekend in a safe neighborhood. Then you walk 10-15 minutes to Metro North and take it to Grand Central, The ride is 35 minutes and $7.75 per person. Least busiest spot: Liberty Av btw. Elm and Prospect - all private houses with garages, no problem parking even durring the wk. Cleaning day in that area is Wed/Thursday so you have time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2016, 07:32 PM
 
48 posts, read 44,383 times
Reputation: 52
Southeast is very safe and huge lot with free parking weekends and holidays. Train is around 88 minutes or so direct into Grand Central Terminal. Station is easy to get to right off Exit 19 on I-84. I grew up in the town and have taken the train from here many times. Many people from Danbury will do the drive to Southeast as the trains from Danbury are much less frequent and often not direct (transfer in South Norwalk).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top