U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 02:40 PM

20 posts, read 27,860 times

Advertisements

Hello... We are a family of 4 that has finally warmed up to the idea of suburban living. We want to move next summer 2017 when our younger one will be ready for kindergarten. I have not really explored all the towns in Westchester but we have similar priorities for town selection like most in this forum.

1- If we're making the move to the suburbs, we don't want to comprise on schools for our children.

2- Both of us work in the city, so desirable train commute to NYC should be 45 mins or less.

3- I know property taxes are sky rocketing high but what else do we need to watch out for?

4- We want to live in a town with a good community feel and not stuff people. We are trying to raise our children with down-to-earth values and a somewhat realistic picture of life. I don't really want them growing up in a community where people fly private jets and have a summer home or a winter ski home (not that I don't secretly wish I could afford it all

5- What are the perks one can enjoy living in one of the towns in Westchester? Children's activities, family outings, recreational activities, other things I'm not thinking of??

I know there are lots of experts on this forum and I would be very appreciative of ANY insight you have to share. Thanks a bunch!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 02:47 PM

56 posts, read 58,947 times
Pearks are related to the facts that small town and "villages" are more natural habitat for physical, rational and spiritual development of a human being which is not designed to develop on an airport or in a urban junge where trees grow from a whole in concrete. This one one can enjoy less neurotic people, more patient whith more time and imagination for self and others.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:17 PM

785 posts, read 855,812 times
What is your housing budget? Because your criteria places you in some of the wealthiest suburbs in the world.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:30 AM

223 posts, read 757,282 times
I would stick to mid Westchester-Pleasantville, Briarcliff, Croton-all great towns with good schools and not too over the top, godd variety of housing options based on your budget. Pleasantville does not have school busing which could be an issue

Old 05-20-2016, 11:24 AM

50 posts, read 89,676 times
Consider White Plains. Great for families - very convenient. You won't get homesick for the amenities of the NYC boroughs. Schools get a bad rap and are underrated (WP High School has a decent engineering lab, and there are many activities for children. Taxes are manageable and not as high as Pleasantville, Briarcliff, etc. Train is 35 min. express to GCT.

Most important, White Plains has some very amicable, laid-back people and friendly families. Snobbery is at a minimum.

Check the Highlands neighborhood - tons of families.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:29 AM

701 posts, read 630,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpwpny View Post
Snobbery is at a minimum.
Well, of course it is. Its mostly a crap hole.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:34 PM

811 posts, read 825,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by working-mom-of-two View Post
Hello... We are a family of 4 that has finally warmed up to the idea of suburban living. We want to move next summer 2017 when our younger one will be ready for kindergarten. I have not really explored all the towns in Westchester but we have similar priorities for town selection like most in this forum.

1- If we're making the move to the suburbs, we don't want to comprise on schools for our children.

2- Both of us work in the city, so desirable train commute to NYC should be 45 mins or less.

3- I know property taxes are sky rocketing high but what else do we need to watch out for?

4- We want to live in a town with a good community feel and not stuff people. We are trying to raise our children with down-to-earth values and a somewhat realistic picture of life. I don't really want them growing up in a community where people fly private jets and have a summer home or a winter ski home (not that I don't secretly wish I could afford it all

5- What are the perks one can enjoy living in one of the towns in Westchester? Children's activities, family outings, recreational activities, other things I'm not thinking of??

I know there are lots of experts on this forum and I would be very appreciative of ANY insight you have to share. Thanks a bunch!!
Based on your profile I would suggest checking out the river towns- Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, and Irvington. Pleasantville was also a good suggestion. In Westchester definitely watch out for the lack of correlation between address and school district- they don't always match up. Westchester is a completely different quality of life than city living, the best thing to do is spend your weekends visiting the towns and getting a sense of their flavors and checking out activities that you think might interest your family.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:41 PM

50 posts, read 89,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Well, of course it is. Its mostly a crap hole.
Not really. Sounds like you haven't been anywhere outside of downtown— which is also usually flooded with NYC househunters looking to make a move.

Drive through the Rosedale and Saxon Woods areas of town sometime.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:17 AM

6 posts, read 52,185 times
Typically the FURTHER north you go, the slightly cheaper it becomes. Considering some of the things you're looking for and if you ARE on a budget 400K (and lower), I would look at Montrose, taxes are slightly lower because of the Power Plant. They have a decent school district but if you're looking to have a 3 bed 2 bath and can afford 500K or more, I would go with some of the towns already mentioned. Montrose has a Metro North line that will take you to Grand Central in about 45 mins.

Other "traps" to keep an eye out for is "fire" taxes such as those in certain areas of Poughkeepsie but not in others.

If you want an area that has more activities for kids and still fit your criteria I would look at White Plains. Its not necessarily "kid friendly" but certainly more things to do then some of the other suburbs.

GOOD LUCK on your search, My wife and I (no kids) have been searching for the past year (passively) and can't seem to find just the right home. Something that I notice, again the further north you go, Above Ground Oil tanks are very common and Septic Systems (also include propane vs natural gas). Its not a HUGE deal, but if you're not use to maintaining those things on your own, well.... make sure its thoroughly inspected and you learn more about how to maintain these on your own.

Best Wishes

Old 05-23-2016, 09:55 AM

71 posts, read 87,427 times
Dobbs Ferry, Hasings, Mamaroneck,Tuckahoe - check them out! I've had many happy city transplants thrive in those communities. Good neighborhoods, schools, close to trains. Have fun! Start now - take trips up and visit the different areas, see where you feel you best fit in. Talk to the other parents at the parks, that's your dead giveaway. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County