U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 11:36 AM

687 posts, read 588,635 times

Advertisements

Greenwich/Cos Cob market mostly made up of condos? Stamford had more single family homes?
Are you sure you're not confusing the two places?

Did you even go to mid or back country Greenwich? Did you ride down RHR, Lake, North or Stanwich? Or Riversville rd on the western side of town near Port Chester? HUGE lots on all of those streets. Theres also a ton of large spec single family homes in Cos Cob and Riverside.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 12:16 PM

55 posts, read 54,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Its odd to attempt to condescend when you were so obviously wrong when you said:
'Property taxes, at least in NY, are based on a home's assessed value', is omnipresent myth of uncertain origin."

They are not based on market value. That's the myth, that they are based on market value (see the very first post after your incorrect myth statement telling you that....) . That they are based on assessed value isn't "a myth", its the actual fact.

You've now dug a on-the-internet-forever hole of posts only to end with the statement "Anyway my point is that certainly Westchester tax assessment is not based on market property values". Congrats on finally getting there in the very last sentence of your last post.
I have noticed that you have not stated what home assessed value is based on;

It seems that you have no idea what would you like to talk about.

I'm sure that other readers have understood what I have wrote quite well and they have given their comparasons FFC vs Westchester in quality of services and tax disparity, which corroborate with my thesis that the taxes in Westchester are so high not because of outstanding services but proximity to NYC and the fact that enough people can be found at any given time who are willing to move in and pay the high taxes for that convenience. My argument is relevant to the topic, on the other hand you do not seem to have a point, so I will leave you to yourself.
If someone digs his own hole through petty accusations and attempts to pick an argument for the sake of it, that is you.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:23 PM

789 posts, read 558,495 times
We are in the middle of an exhaustive search for towns to settle with our two little ones and Westchester vs Fairfield vs top NJ towns. Lower Westchester is simply not even in the conversation as far as house price/taxes for what you get. Northern Westchester (based on what we have seen) is more comparable price wise but frankly can be very boring if one is looking for towns with a pulse. We are down to Westport/Fairfield vs Ridgewood/Westfield NJ. The CT towns win on property taxes by comparison. The NJ towns have incredible "community" feel to them. Westchester, a place I grew up around and figured I would live one day just doesn't hit the marks as far as we are concerned for the price of admission. I should add for our particular case, we don't commute to the city, but I do travel quite a bit so airports are a consideration.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:02 PM

687 posts, read 588,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
We are in the middle of an exhaustive search for towns to settle with our two little ones and Westchester vs Fairfield vs top NJ towns. Lower Westchester is simply not even in the conversation as far as house price/taxes for what you get. Northern Westchester (based on what we have seen) is more comparable price wise but frankly can be very boring if one is looking for towns with a pulse. We are down to Westport/Fairfield vs Ridgewood/Westfield NJ. The CT towns win on property taxes by comparison. The NJ towns have incredible "community" feel to them. Westchester, a place I grew up around and figured I would live one day just doesn't hit the marks as far as we are concerned for the price of admission. I should add for our particular case, we don't commute to the city, but I do travel quite a bit so airports are a consideration.
Well, Westport was just ranked the #1 district in the state (#12 nationally). There's a ton of activities for families, and a great downtown. We also have a few beaches in town, a great pool and golf course (Longshore) and Levitt Pavilion. I could go on and on but it definitely has a great community feel with an artsy vibe. Its not stuffy, even though the median home price is 1.5m+. Its a wealthy town, but people aren't showing it off. And we do have less taxes than NJ.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:13 PM

799 posts, read 748,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Greenwich/Cos Cob market mostly made up of condos? Stamford had more single family homes?

Did you even go to mid or back country Greenwich? Did you ride down RHR, Lake, North or Stanwich? Or Riversville rd on the western side of town near Port Chester? HUGE lots on all of those streets. Theres also a ton of large spec single family homes in Cos Cob and Riverside.
I think they were saying in their budget..

Old 05-24-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post

One thing to note: CT highway traffic is way worse than traffic in Westchester
I was literally thinking this to myself this morning and how this shouldn't make sense. People in Fairfield County drive with such a self-concerned attitude, especially when it comes to merging, it's actually comical. In my opinion Westchester people drive aggressively but somehow more efficiently.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Check out Katonah, it's one of the only Northern Westchester towns I can think of beside Pleasantville with a pulse and community feel. In CT I would also check out Ridgefield.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:54 PM

1,165 posts, read 687,344 times
Quote:

The market may have changed since we were shopping but, at the time, most of the newer construction offerings in the sub-1m price range and over 2K square feet were condos. There seem to be a lot of older, smaller (sub 2K sq ft) homes on the western side bordering Port Chester (this seems to be the more mid to low-range price point of the area around 500 - 700k).

It's a balancing act to find the right combination of all the factors you are looking for. But our consistent observation was that there were far more (newer) condo offerings in Greenwich than single family (newer) home offerings in that price range. Interestingly, several condos we looked at were located close to schools, which I guess contributed to why they were on the market longer. Of the 3 newly constructed units we toured, one development was being used as rental units as the developer was unable to sell the properties; another had been vacant for over a year. Not sure if that is common in the Greenwich area, but it was interesting.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Well, Westport was just ranked the #1 district in the state (#12 nationally). There's a ton of activities for families, and a great downtown. We also have a few beaches in town, a great pool and golf course (Longshore) and Levitt Pavilion. I could go on and on but it definitely has a great community feel with an artsy vibe. Its not stuffy, even though the median home price is 1.5m+. Its a wealthy town, but people aren't showing it off. And we do have less taxes than NJ.
Thanks. Yes we only visited once and weren't able to get a good feel for the town. I keep up to date online on the housing stock. Need to spend more time in the town. Love the low property taxes, which for practical purposes add about $100-200k to the amount of house one can afford.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
Check out Katonah, it's one of the only Northern Westchester towns I can think of beside Pleasantville with a pulse and community feel. In CT I would also check out Ridgefield.
Ridgefield is very nice. Ridgefield is VERY cold. lol. I know it sounds ridiculous but if you actually do the research, it is about 5 degrees on avg colder than any of the other towns we speak of and gets appreciably more snow. I think not only due to it being far north but also its elevation. So while that may not sound like a lot to some, i'm already at the breaking point in terms of hating winters and have no desire to extend those further and reduce spring/summer temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County