U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,876 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are a couple with 4 children (ages 2-12). We are relocating from Israel to Westchester this summer and looking to rent a 3-4 bedroom house (budget around 3000-4000). Our top priorities are:
1. Friendly people that will welcome our children (and us) and help them overcome the language/cultural challenges.
2. Good education system with teachers who care, but not too much of a 'pressure-cooker'.
3. Some Jewish population would be nice.
4. Walkable areas.

We'd appreciate your advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 07:58 AM

811 posts, read 827,296 times
That budget may be challenging for a 4 bedroom house in a good school district in Southern Westchester. I would suggest checking out Chappaqua or Rye Brook (Blind Brook school district). However, you may have to give up a 4th bedroom, raise your budget to 5k, or consider a townhouse.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,876 times
Thanks. Raising the budget to 5k is unfortunately not an option. What about Croton and Pleasantville?

Old 06-06-2016, 02:19 PM

Pleasantville is a great town, has a down to earth vibe, good schools, and a well developed downtown. It also is religiously diverse. There aren't a ton of rentals but you may be able to find something between 3-4k. I'm not very familiar with Croton.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:10 PM

82 posts, read 75,648 times
Pleasantville is a wonderful town. There are many great rentals in Pleasantville for around 3000 to 4000 with 3 to 4 bedrooms.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:10 AM

195 posts, read 244,877 times
I only see one four bedroom house in Pleasantville, but it's pretty cute. The area is lovely. I have a friend who moved there 5 years back and they are very happy there. Schools are wonderful without the uber competitiveness of districts like Scarsdale or Rye Brook

526 Washington Ave, Pleasantville, NY 10570 | Zillow

Old 06-07-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymtea View Post
I only see one four bedroom house in Pleasantville, but it's pretty cute. The area is lovely. I have a friend who moved there 5 years back and they are very happy there. Schools are wonderful without the uber competitiveness of districts like Scarsdale or Rye Brook

526 Washington Ave, Pleasantville, NY 10570 | Zillow
Adorable but only two bedrooms upstairs so this may not be the type of 4 bedroom one might expect. It also backs onto both the train tracks and highway. Probably a bit noisy but these might be good compromises to get into Pville at that budget. Also very close to Chappaqua downtown which is nice.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:55 AM

56 posts, read 59,022 times
New Rochelle has a large Jewish community, couple of synagogues. in very north and very south parts and a Jewish school: Westchester Torah Academy | Jewish Day School Westchester NY
Larchmont also has a significant Jewish presnce as well as Mamaroneck.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:32 AM
ixp

2 posts, read 1,753 times
Have you checked out Scarsdale? It has great schools and a very strong community.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 822 times
hi Allen42, not sure if I am too late replying. There are many areas in Westchester that could meet your requirements. Many of our towns are walkable. Many of the synagogues offer nursery programs for 2-4 year olds. We have several large cities, Greenburgh is quite large as it encompasses many towns and villages. yonkers is the only city around the size of Tel-Aviv. The rest of our towns and villages are much smaller. As a realtor here, I can give you nformation about the different areas in Westchester. If you are already living here, I hope that you and your family have found the perfect home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County