Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,518 times

Advertisements

Currently looking for a house in Westchester. Would need to commute weekdays to NYC (flatiron area). Is North Salem a horrible idea/way too far north? Or do lots of people do it? Assuming the house is a few minutes from the Purdys train. Appreciate opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 03:57 PM

307 posts, read 636,899 times
People definitely do it. The commute is long, but the quality of life in Northern Westchester is enough for some people to deal with it. If you are close to the train that's a definite plus. There are express trains and you will always get a seat. North Salem is about as bucolic as you can get and still be within striking distance of NYC.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:29 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,150,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichL221 View Post
Currently looking for a house in Westchester. Would need to commute weekdays to NYC (flatiron area). Is North Salem a horrible idea/way too far north? Or do lots of people do it? Assuming the house is a few minutes from the Purdys train. Appreciate opinions.
I do a similar commute every day. Metro North is about an hour. Subway to Flatiron is about 20-22 minutes. With walking and getting to the train, maybe an hour and 40 each way. I do that each day. Its a lot, but if you want to live in north county, with huge land parcels and the quiet life it offers, its worth it.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:26 AM

175 posts, read 421,746 times
It'll be a long commute, but not a painful one -- most of it will be a quiet Metro-North ride. The 6 train at rush hour is no fun, but GCT to 23rd is just a couple of stops.

Just make sure you can get a parking spot. I don't know Purdy's specifically, but many (most?) Westchester towns have a waiting list for train station parking.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:11 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,430 times
Would also suggest taking a look in Ridgefield, CT right over the border (tax savings). There is no train station but a shuttle is available to the Katonah station.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:47 PM

973 posts, read 1,409,624 times
Maybe look at NJ, since you will arrive at Penn Station and not Grand Central Station. Penn Station is closer to the Flatiron District, and possibly walkable if weather is good and you are more on the north and west part of the area. Lots of great towns to choose from within same or less commuting distance, especially if you figure out that you can walk from Penn Station. North Salem is a great place to live, though.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:00 PM

50 posts, read 100,932 times
My family has been looking at Northern Westchester as well. What about Pound Ridge? What is the closest Metro North station?

Old 06-24-2016, 11:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,518 times
Love the input - thank you for the responses!

Glad to hear others do it and make it work.

I honestly don't know what the purdys train permit wait list is like either but think the metered spots at least cost less than some other towns in Westchester. Will need to look into how much parking is available...

Agree re: Jersey being better for me in flatiron. I could definitely walk in good weather from penn station. We have thought about it, but were aiming for westchester because my husband's family lives there -- plus he works within walking distance to Grand Central (so a Jersey commute for me is basically what a Westchester commute is for him...similar commute times but one of us gets to walk after the train and the other needs to catch a short subway ride).

We looked at one house in pound ridge thus far -- most listings there have been too far from a train, though.

Appreciate any other input & will let you know where we land!

Old 06-25-2016, 06:15 AM

307 posts, read 636,899 times
Bedford/Bedford Hills/Katonah may be options as well. Katonah has train parking available for all Bedford town residents. It would be an hour train ride to GC, so you would be looking at a shorter commute than North Salem.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:33 AM

82 posts, read 90,988 times
I agree with Katonah. Those towns are right on the Harlem Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County