U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,451 times

Advertisements

I have 3 children too, but they are now 18,17,13, i always thought that catholic school was the best choice, you don't get all the benefit public offers. (programs etc.) but safety seems better, religion etc. but now i've learned that the problem with private schools are you have no recourse if you have any issues. my 13 year old as been ill for the past 18 months, (not life threatening) but chronically and missing a lot of school,i know private schools are smaller, but they seem not to know how to handle the situation, and we got a new principal who doesn't know me or my family and since it should be my sons last year she has choose not to help, be nice, or do anything so my child could pass this year. also, keep in mind that if later your child develops any type of learning disability this could also be a problem, especially if one child had to go to public and your now have 2 in private. Rye does have a good school district and you should ask a lot of questions when you interview, like absent days. tardiness etc. good luck! d gel
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 05:35 PM

471 posts, read 1,430,110 times
It's more a status thing to send your kids to private schools, really.
When I was in the white plains school district, i was friends with some straight up millionaires and once they graduated 8th grade, it was straight to Stepanic and/or Maria Regina. It's just sorta how it flows. But then again, WP is a diverse district and it was just a natural reaction of a rich family to get their kids away from "bad" influences (aka anyone earning less than 150,000 a year).

On the flip side, my friend attended OLS (which is a religious private k-8th grade school), once he was done with that.. It was either Stepanic or Scarsdale High School. He chose Scarsdale.

Really. It's hard to compare public schools in Westchester. Hell, It's hard to compare any schools in Westchester. It's the best education possible. These schools rank among the top in the whole US. Stating that Edgemont has better education than Scarsdale, is like saying "2.6 billion is better than 2.59 billion."

-x-

As for New York State Education. It's one of the bests. Teachers are required to have Masters Degrees, and they get paid alot. Teachers make upwards of 100k, hence, they won't have the attitude that they are underpaid, or that they do too much work for little. They teach it amazingly, and with the best attitude possible. I had honors across the board when I attended white plains schools. The teachers were the best. I always understood everything, and if I ever had a question I could stay after and ask. And, they're pretty damn serious about staying after. I was talking to a friend in after school, and my teacher literally said "Look. There is a whole class room of kids, and you two little love birds are flirting. Get out." and we .. left. Rude? Definitely. But, what could I have done? I was guilty.

But then again. That is my experience. I am sure there are many horror stories about teachers, and I might have went over the top about some topics, but, my god. I loved the schooling.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:48 PM

16 posts, read 61,534 times
Do you have a language requirement where you would want a bilingual immersion education for your children at a young age? If so, private school will be able to offer that. Even if there are immersion programs in public schools, it may not have the % of immersion or offer it at a very young age. As an additional benefit, the student composition in terms of country of orgin will be more diverse and has more of an international flavor.

My 4 year old will probably go to a private international school in Scarsdale (a new campus of the Larchmont/Mamaroneck school someone mentioned earlier) come September because of the language immersion/international flavor factors. There are multiple private international schools in Westchester. One, which is in Ardsley, does not have a language pre-requisite requirement for entrance (you don't have to already speak two languages when you begin). In general, these schools have a large ex-pat population from around the world.

However, if you don't need the immersion program and simply comparing private with public, then private schools may still be able to offer "slightly" smaller classrooms and "slightly" more individualize attention - but this is subject to the schools. A ratio of 1 to 8 to 1 to 10 for young kids. The top tier private schools - as mentioned by one of the previous posts are excellent and potentially offers more resources. The cons - due to the high tuition, these schools may offer less diversity in social economic class for the student bodies.

Westchester public schools are outstanding and can probably provide you with great resources as long as you match yourself to the right school. It's a matter of personal preference and requirements.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:17 PM

137 posts, read 974,283 times
I don't think anyone would think of you as odd for choosing public or private. I would say it depends on your child. The public schools in Rye and Scarsdale are excellent. I woul dsay it is important to consider the child and family. Personally, I prefer private school because I feel that public schools are under too much pressure to teach to the test. I have many friends who teach in the top public schools in Westchester and the administration often forces them to change their practice. Private school can also be academically, but I personally find I agree more with their teaching style. Rye Country Day is a very nice school. The focus on values does not mean religion.
It is nice that in public school all your children's classmates live in the same area. This makes weekend playdates, soccer etc. much easier.
It is important to visit. Some children may thrive in a public school, others might need the smaller more intimate private school atmosphere.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:52 PM

178 posts, read 641,206 times
The public schools in Rye, Harrison, Scarsdale, Larchmont, Irvington, Bronxville are all excellent.

Hackley and Rye Country Day School are excellent private schools. Horace Mann in Riverdale is also great.

I am sure whatever you decide, you will really enjoy your time in Westchester. It is also great to be able to get to New York City when ever you want.

All the best!

Kevin O'Shea

Old 05-28-2008, 09:07 PM

172 posts, read 455,251 times
HKers, good luck in your search. A few years ago my wife (who's English) and I were pondering a move to the exotic and sweaty SAR. I was all for it at first, but wow, the air pollution was so nightmarish, I stopped looking for work there after one interview. You won't miss that, even in Manhattan, I predict.

We've also got 3 youngsters and know hardly more than you about Westchester, despite 10 years in NYC, and are also trying to narrow things down about a possible move north by lurking on this board.

But we've ridden the rails some and driven around a little as well to get some sense of these towns, gone to a few open houses, etc., and I'd suggest you do a good bit of that if you can before you settle on schooling or anything. Also you might see what you can find out from studying craigslist and greatschools.net.

For what it's worth, we've decided the Hudson Line train ride is more pleasant than the run toward Rye, and that we've yet to see a school more idyllic than the public Dows Lane in Irvington, which while not exactly a hopping town is cute without being snooty ... so we're about 90% sold on moving there, if we can escape Brooklyn. Remember, there's water on both sides of the county.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:08 PM

40 posts, read 250,698 times
Default "focus on moral values" ....?????????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam2 View Post
There are excellent public schools in Westchester and your children can get a wonderful education there. That said, there can be advantages to private schools such as smaller classes or less focus on standardized tests.

I don't think "focus on moral values" is a code for religious instruction and certainly not for the sort of fundamentalist instruction you're concerned about. There are religious private schools in the area and I think they're completely open about what they're teaching and what religious instruction they are giving, since presumably it's part of the draw of the school. I'm sure a conversation with the admissions department at any private school could clarify exactly what "focus on moral values" means, what's taught in science classes, chapel requirements, etc. I definitely wouldn't worry that someone is trying to put one over on you.

I don't think people would find you weird for sending your kid to private school. It will change your experience of the community in the sense that most of kids in the neighborhood in a place like Rye will be going to public school and your children won't have the natural introduction to the local kids (or you to their parents) that might otherwise happen. On the other hand, presumably you'll all meet people through the private school. There is an extremely well regarded secular private school, Rye Country Day School, right in Rye and I assume most of the students are from Rye or immediately surrounding towns.
Most of the Private schools are divided by the faith of the people in the parish church and are mainly Catholic.

The statement made above "There are religious private schools in the area and I think they're completely open about what they're teaching and what religious instruction they are giving, since presumably it's part of the draw of the school. I'm sure a conversation with the admissions department at any private school could clarify exactly what "focus on moral values" means, what's taught in science classes, chapel requirements, etc." worries me.

If you are catholic and go to church every Sunday, you send your children to Catholic shools that are part of your church. There is no "fundamentalist instruction"!

If you are not Catholic and send your kids to a Catholic school because it is a good school, you missed the point. Now its you who is the problem, not the school.

The following statement: "I'm sure a conversation with the admissions department at any private school could clarify exactly what "focus on moral values" means, what's taught in science classes, chapel requirements, etc. I definitely wouldn't worry that someone is trying to put one over on you.", really worries me!

Focus on moral values is exactly what it is! It is not some "secret code"!

These (catholic) schools will teach your kids the Catholic way of life! Prayer, Bible Study (Religion class), etc. as is the way of the Roman Catholics worldwide for more than 2000 years!

Why do we not worry about these things more than money, power, 5000sf house with pool, BMW or Mercedes?

Good luck to you!

God Bless You and your family!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:00 PM

178 posts, read 641,206 times
I think you will find the Rye Schools are excellent. Check out school reports on a lot of Realtor Websites.

All the best!

Kevin O'Shea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County