Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,853 times

Advertisements

A family member of mine who I will refer to as, Z is just heading into their Senior year of high school this fall (2016). Due to the recent passing of Z's father whom had custody of Z (divorce), Z would now be living with their mother who lives the town over. I am trying to find out if there is any way for Z to attend and finish out their senior year at their current public high school becoming a non-resident. Unfortunately, Z's mother does not have the means to pay non-resident tuition forced upon them during this time but is willing to try and make it work. If by chance anyone knows of any possible ways of getting some sort of tuition assistance or know of alternative options or know's of somewhere or someone in Westchester County who can assist me in helping them during this time would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 02:37 PM

72 posts, read 130,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA390 View Post
A family member of mine who I will refer to as, Z is just heading into their Senior year of high school this fall (2016). Due to the recent passing of Z's father whom had custody of Z (divorce), Z would now be living with their mother who lives the town over. I am trying to find out if there is any way for Z to attend and finish out their senior year at their current public high school becoming a non-resident. Unfortunately, Z's mother does not have the means to pay non-resident tuition forced upon them during this time but is willing to try and make it work. If by chance anyone knows of any possible ways of getting some sort of tuition assistance or know of alternative options or know's of somewhere or someone in Westchester County who can assist me in helping them during this time would be greatly appreciated!!!

How long has Z been attending that school? I would think if it had been for a certain length of time and this is the last year, Z would be allowed to stay as if still a resident.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,853 times
Z has attended this high school all three years so far and all throughout middle school that's located on the same campus. I'd like to think so, but so far it doesn't seem to be the case. Z is very involved in school and had great grades as well. I feel like there has to be some way for Z to be able to stay.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:01 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Other than the social aspects of Z's current school is there a problem with the academics in the new school? Is it safe to assume that being one town over that Z can continue to socialize with their friends after school/weekends etc? As many older people remember during IBM's hey day it stood for "I'm being moved", kids can adjust and the world does not end when you switch school.

If you find that the district is not willing to work with the family you would be better server to support Z as they adjust to their final year of school and prepare for college or life as that will be coming very fast.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:46 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA390 View Post
Is the situation already known to the school district? I doubt they require re-registration for senior year?

Old 07-26-2016, 07:47 AM

Also, if all else fails I would consider setting up a GoFundMe for Z for the non-resident tuition.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:40 AM

10 posts, read 10,508 times
I can imagine the school would not be understanding and let Z stay, especially since his/her parent passed away. Has Z's mother explained the situation?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:41 AM

10 posts, read 10,508 times
Sorry - CAN'T imagine

Old 07-26-2016, 10:27 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
A go fund me page? . I'm sorry Z lost his/her father at such a young age but no one has given a valid reason for this person to stay at their current school, I can only assume that it is for the social aspect and not the academic one.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
A go fund me page? . I'm sorry Z lost his/her father at such a young age but no one has given a valid reason for this person to stay at their current school, I can only assume that it is for the social aspect and not the academic one.
People use them for far stupider things than to keep a child who just lost a parent from being teared away from his support system, friends, teachers, etc. One town away isn't like being forced to move across the country, but from a psychological perspective it might be just as difficult given Z's situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County