U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 03:17 AM

10 posts, read 15,357 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Westchester and are looking at different areas to rent, and eventually buy. Can anyone comment on some of the areas we've been looking at? We just drove around the Sterling Ridge section of Harrison, which seems beautiful but can't tell if there is much a neighborhood feel with the houses being so large on bigger pieces of property. And the houses themselves, while higher priced, are definitely lower than houses on the Rye side near Westchester and Apawamic Country Clubs. I understand some of the difference between the schools and towns in Rye and Harrison but can anyone comment on living in this area of Harrison? Do many kids go to private or public school in this area of Harrison? Also, does anyone know how easy it is to get daily metered parking at one of the LAZ lots in Harrison? We would be taking a train around 7:15 am so not sure if there is any parking left by then?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 03:32 AM

One more question to add to above post - I just noticed another post regarding a growing heroin problem in Harrison, as well as some crime problems in Harrison and Mamaroneck. Since many of wealthy towns in Westchester border lower income towns with bigger crime problems, is this an issue for those living in the suburban neighborhoods (like Sterling Ridge or Greenhaven in Rye Neck), as opposed to downtown areas? Are there problems with crime at the Harrison or Mamaroneck train station? I also read about some issues by the Mamaroneck train station too - just curious to see how safe these areas would be to live in and commute by train every day.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:45 AM

826 posts, read 2,147,881 times
I know several families who live in the southern part of Sterling Ridge (off Union) and there is a great neighborhood feel there, everyone knows and plays with everyone else, lots of BBQs and neighborhood parties, etc. They all go to Harrison Avenue school and speak very highly of it.

The other part of Harrison you talk about, around the Westchester County Club (which has a Rye zip code but is zoned for Harrison schools) is a different league, and yes, lots of private school kids there.

As for crime around the stations in Harrison and Mamaroneck...??? Really? It's not a problem unless you seek it out (dark corners at 3am maybe?).

Old 07-31-2016, 12:05 PM

Thanks street smart for the response. We are also looking at Orienta - our child would go to Fordham Prep so we were hoping to find some families in either area that we could possibly meet for him to ride train to school with. We are not from the area and are moving from out of state. How would you compare Sterling Ridge to Orienta (other than the obvious proximity to water at Orienta and larger lots etc in Sterling Ridge. Also, do you know how easy it is to get daily metered parking at MMK or Harrison train? We called both towns but can't seem to get a good answer. Thanks

Old 07-31-2016, 12:09 PM

195 posts, read 229,798 times
I don't live in Mamaroneck but from my house hunting I do know that Orienta has a lot of flooding issues. Check the FEMA flood maps before you buy....

PS - don't worry about heroin in Harrison or Mamaroneck. There will always be drugs, wherever you go.... in poor communities and in rich ones - heroin is just apparently what's hot right now for the upper middle class

Old 08-01-2016, 08:33 AM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,025,062 times
Some kids from New Ro got busted for stealing an iPhone from another kid at Mamaroneck rail station. They ran on to the track before the police managed to catch them and the New haven service was suspended for a while. Since its the biggest thing to happen there in the last 5 years, besides the mayor's cat getting stuck up a tree, its suddenly got a "crime problem"

Old 08-01-2016, 09:50 PM

826 posts, read 2,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry1986 View Post
Thanks street smart for the response. We are also looking at Orienta - our child would go to Fordham Prep so we were hoping to find some families in either area that we could possibly meet for him to ride train to school with. We are not from the area and are moving from out of state. How would you compare Sterling Ridge to Orienta (other than the obvious proximity to water at Orienta and larger lots etc in Sterling Ridge. Also, do you know how easy it is to get daily metered parking at MMK or Harrison train? We called both towns but can't seem to get a good answer. Thanks
I can't speak too much about Sterling Ridge, but we love Orienta. Just going by the harbour to get home everyday is really nice. On any warm day there are tons of people out walking, biking, running, etc. Sterling Ridge is hilly and the large lots probably make it seem quieter, although the southern end is different.

If you follow the coast line around Orienta and go inland a bit, that is the flood area. We are not in the flood area but we still have 2 sump pumps and we hear them going most days. We also have french drains and a generator! I would say these are basically necessities if you have a basement in the area (which some houses do not). I don't know about metered train parking, but you can get a parking permit for Mamaroneck no problem, just not right next to the station as there is a wait list for that (we park on Bishop).

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County