Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:49 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

What if.....just what if the mother or father is making up that it was a coyote? So far I'm not hearing descriptions of what they saw and why they "think" its a coyote. Could be wolf, bob cat, ect.

3-year-old attacked by coyote in Rye

Moderator cut: Copyright violation. A snippet and a link are fine, not pasting entire sections of an article

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-04-2010 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 05:09 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,667 times
In the 3 years I have lived here I have seen 11 foxes and/or coyotes on or within walking of my property.

They usually don't attack though, except of you corner their kids or they are rabid.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:47 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman27 View Post
What if.....just what if …the mother or father is making up that it was a coyote? So far I'm not hearing descriptions of what they saw and why they "think" it’s a coyote. Could be wolf, bob cat, ect.
Well, for starters, coyotes are all over the place. I see them all the time and they get hit on the highways regularly. And what earthly reason would they have to fabricate it? Finally, do you think there's even the remotest chance it was a wolf or bobcat? A bear or escaped lion would be as likely.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Well, for starters, coyotes are all over the place. I see them all the time and they get hit on the highways regularly. And what earthly reason would they have to fabricate it? Finally, do you think there's even the remotest chance it was a wolf or bobcat? A bear or escaped lion would be as likely.
Coyotes look an awful lot like dogs or wolves.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:17 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Coyotes look an awful lot like dogs or wolves.
They certainly do, though they're far smaller than wolves. From a distance somebody might mistake one for a wolf. But wolves don't exist in Westchester. Any kind of medium sized greyish shephard-mix could look similar too. In any case I'm still unclear what the OP was getting at.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:21 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
They certainly do, though they're far smaller than wolves. From a distance somebody might mistake one for a wolf. But wolves don't exist in Westchester. Any kind of medium sized greyish shephard-mix could look similar too. In any case I'm still unclear what the OP was getting at.
Just saying.... I wont call it a balloon boy event or Prius Runaway Story But we're not hearing any details from the mother who apparently "chased" it away.... Usually you would describe what it looked like, if it was limping, how fast it ran off, what color, what direction, weight, ect....If the mothers chased it away IN BOTH CASES they should have some details and we are hearing nothing.

In any case........I'm tracking the attacks and it seemed like they are moving North......They should be in Greenwich at this point...

Old 07-02-2010, 10:42 AM

866 posts, read 2,484,877 times
Don't you know that people are notoriously bad at remembering details of events when they are under stress? Eye-witnesses are generally not reliable in any crime investigation - it's been proven. What would make you think that a mother who has seen her child being attacked by some wild animal would be taking in its color, size, height, gait, etc, as she chased it away......?????? I think that mother would have one thing on her mind and it would be her child, not in which direction the animal ran off and how much she thought it might weigh.

I don't get your point. Are you a coyote fan of some sort, suspicious of some sort of coyote smear campaign???

Old 07-02-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Don't you know that people are notoriously bad at remembering details of events when they are under stress? Eye-witnesses are generally not reliable in any crime investigation - it's been proven. What would make you think that a mother who has seen her child being attacked by some wild animal would be taking in its color, size, height, gait, etc, as she chased it away......?????? I think that mother would have one thing on her mind and it would be her child, not in which direction the animal ran off and how much she thought it might weigh.

I don't get your point. Are you a coyote fan of some sort, suspicious of some sort of coyote smear campaign???
Maybe she remembered the details, but the paper decided not to give it the ink.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:32 AM

36 posts, read 84,070 times
A bit more light on this subject might be helpful:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/03/ny...03coyotes.html

I don't think folks are fabricating this. I'll admit, however, that when I was kid I once told a friend that there was a wooden Dragon who lived in Rye, next to the beach.

And, from Wikipedia:

Attacks on humans

Coyote attacks on humans are uncommon and rarely cause serious injuries, due to the relatively small size of the coyote. However, coyote attacks on humans have increased since 1998 in the state of California. Data from USDA Wildlife Services, the California Department of Fish & Game, and other sources show that while 41 attacks occurred during the period of 1988-1997, 48 attacks were verified from 1998 through 2003. The majority of these incidents occurred in Southern California near the suburban-wildland interface.[45]

Due to an absence of harassment by residents, urban coyotes lose their natural fear of humans, which is further worsened by people intentionally feeding coyotes. In such situations, some coyotes have begun to act aggressively toward humans, chasing joggers and bicyclists, confronting people walking their dogs, and stalking small children.[45] Like wolves, non-rabid coyotes usually target small children, mostly under the age of 10, though some adults have been bitten. In June, 2010 a 3 year old girl and a 6 year old girl were attacked and seriously injured in separate attacks by coyotes in Rye, New York, a suburb of New York City. The 6 year old was attacked by two coyotes on June 25 and the three year old was attacked by one coyote on June 29. There was no indication the animals were rabid, but the girls were given treatment as a precaution.[46][47]

There are only two recorded fatalities in North America from coyote attacks.[48] In 1981 in Glendale, California, a coyote attacked toddler Kelly Keen, who was rescued by her father, but died in surgery due to blood loss and a broken neck.[45][49] In October 2009, Taylor Mitchell, a 19-year-old folk singer on tour, died from injuries sustained in an attack by a pair of coyotes while hiking in the Skyline Trail of the Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia, Canada.[50] Recent studies have shown however that the large northeastern coyotes responsible for this attack may in fact be coyote-wolf hybrids (or coywolves) due to absorption of wolves when coyotes moved into eastern North America.[51]

Also interesting, discusses coyotes in NY and what to look for:

http://www.esf.edu/pubprog/brochure/coyote/coyote.htm

Last edited by JimLovesNC; 07-02-2010 at 11:47 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 02:50 PM

33 posts, read 152,837 times
Both the mother and child were bitten by the coyote/wild dog or whatever it was. The mother was alerted by a neighborhood child who was also playing in the yard. I'm sure the neighbor's children are not in on a "balloon boy" caper. The child was bitten on the neck (a spot where a wild animal goes in for the kill) and the torso (possibly in an attempt to be drag her off.) I'm sure the doctor's at the Westchester County medical center caring for the mother and child will be able to determine if the bite marks are canine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County